View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 15th, 2018, 12:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fulmer to the DL. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Fulmer to the DL.
http://twitter.com/detroitnews/status/9 ... 7706856448

The phrase, "will miss at least 2 starts", and a visit to Dr. James Andrews confirms my suspicions.

Last edited by BillySims on September 3rd, 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 1st, 2017, 6:51 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: Fuller to the DL.
No Verlander, and now, no Fulmer, makes the rest of this year, and all of next year, very bleak for the Tigers.

September 1st, 2017, 6:54 pm
All State

Post Re: Fuller to the DL.
The way the problem has been described it sounds like an Ulnar Nerve injury or impingement. I' not a doctor but I'd like to play one! The first thing they will try (for surgical options) is an ulnar nerve transposition which is a very simple procedure, I've had it done on both elbows. Hopefully the nerve which runs down the back or inside of the arm and all the way too the bottom of the hand. When you hit your "Funny Bone" you've hit your ulnar nerve. It's not so funny when it is like that all the time. With any luck the nerve is just caught in the elbow joint. This will require a simple surgery, they would make about a 3" cut on the inside of the elbow, root around with a stick until they find where the nerve is entrapped, free it, check for damage, move it and close it up. Depending on how you heal, 2 to 6 weeks with no damage to muscle, ligaments or tendons.

To be sure that the surgery has worked, you must wait (while doing your normal activities) 18 months. I can't remember what it is called. But there is a protective sheath on all of your nerves (start with an M) that takes about 1 month per inch to heal. While to average adult forearm is about 18' it will take 18 months. That is if the sheathing is damaged. If not it could feel fine a week or so. If the sheathing is damaged it could heal within that 18 months or you could have the numbness in you ring finger and pinky forever. It won't stop him from pitching, he'll just have to learn to compensate. Thanks for listening, Luv Dr. Phil

September 3rd, 2017, 5:50 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Fulmer to the DL.
He should get immediate relief of his nerve issues unless there has been some degree of nerve damage which in that case may take 18-24 months of nerve regeneration. No sticks involved in nerve surgery however. Shouldnt affect his pitching however. The real question here is if the ulnar nerve issue is the only problem with Fulmer's elbow. I dont know for sure if its true but from what I understand Fulmer s had UCL reconstruction (Tommy John) surgery to that elbow in the past. The average length of time that surgery lasts in a professional pitcher is about 7 years. If true it might not be a bad idea to trade off Fulmer because with the way the Tigers rebuild is going they are at least 3-4 years away from contention and that might be about it for Fulmer unless he has a second Tommy John surgery which is more difficult to return from.

September 24th, 2017, 5:35 am
RIP Killer

And the better news....closing in on the #1 pick!

Our AAA pen guys are horrible. Big Joe has sucked horribly. For a guy who dominated every level of the minors, he hasn't thrown a single good pitch in the bigs.

September 24th, 2017, 4:51 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

conversion02 wrote:
And the better news....closing in on the #1 pick!

Our AAA pen guys are horrible. Big Joe has sucked horribly. For a guy who dominated every level of the minors, he hasn't thrown a single good pitch in the bigs.

yeah they should be in the top 3. need to hit it big with this pick. probably in the top 5 the next 2 years as well. need to get something, anything from the international scouts - i dont believe we ve gotten much of anything outside of trade fodder from those ranks in the last 5 years.

September 26th, 2017, 10:43 pm
RIP Killer

Domingo Leybda
Willy Adams

Both top 100 prospects we traded away.

September 28th, 2017, 8:22 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Tigers signed Pedro Martinez, Jr. as an international signee.

He is a 3rd Baseman.

September 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]