View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 News flash 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post News flash
Guess what.... The Tigers are 4 games out of being atop of the WildCard stnadings! Woo Hooooo!! headbang.gif

GO TIGERS!! headbang.gif

Michael Huff for DROY

July 25th, 2005, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

July 25th, 2005, 1:25 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I hope so. But the next 12 games are Seattle 6 times, Oakland 3 times, and then Cleveland for 3 games. Seattle should not be too difficult to take 5 out of 6. Cleveland would be all home games, so we can sweep. Oakland is playing the best ball in the AL. But Bonderman is getting the start in one of those games, so we have a chance to take one.

Tim

July 25th, 2005, 3:08 pm
Site Admin

July 25th, 2005, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Captain

But Bonderman is getting the start in one of those games, so we have a chance to take one.

Im still amazed that we can talk about Bonderman and be expecting a victory, hes finally figured it out I think. And I am thankful, he is in the process of saving my fantasy team.

KEEP IT UP BONDO.

July 25th, 2005, 3:54 pm
League MVP

they have sent granderson to AAA to make room for Polanco. As for buying/selling/etc, looks like we've been involved in a couple rumors involving Johnson, White and DYoung. Scouts for the Braves have watched us in Seattle and Trammell played Young in left, maybe DY to the Braves if he can get on the field?

If these guys go look for Granderson, Pena, Verlander and possibly Thames to be back in Detroit...

July 27th, 2005, 6:34 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I think Pena might be packaged for another 1b prospect. Shelton is tearing it up. I do not see why his bat will slow down. He has no holes as a hitter. So if there is value for Pena, trading him makes sense.

July 27th, 2005, 7:32 pm
QB Coach

I read an article mentioning Rondell White to the Braves. I think we deal Rondell. Polanco (rumored) wants to stay. Young is the heart-and-soul of our team, even though he sucks. I don't know if people are looking for old, above average pitching, which Johnson is. And don't talke about Pena, he sucks. No one wants him.

July 28th, 2005, 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

OAKLAND -- Just because the Tigers weren't looking to move anybody at Sunday's trade deadline didn't mean everybody was going to stay.

After days of speculation whether potential free agents Placido Polanco, Rondell White and Jason Johnson would still wear Detroit uniforms after Sunday, closer Kyle Farnsworth ended up being the one to go. In a deal that came together in less than 24 hours, the Tigers sent their recently anointed closer to the Braves for right-handed prospects Roman Colon and Zach Miner.

The swap initially had the feeling of a late-season surrender to the Tigers' playoff hopes when the deal was announced at the start of Sunday's game in Oakland. But team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski pointed to two motives besides playoff contention as the driving points behind the Tigers' first deadline deal in four years.

"I think the biggest contributing factor was the lack of desire by Kyle to sign a contract with us," Dombrowski said. "We approached him through his agent over the last week in a very strong fashion to try to sign him, and he really was not interested.

"We made him what we thought was a very solid three-year contract offer with the understanding that there was the potential of being a closer. They would not even counter to us. Even though he had shown an indication that he liked it here, he also expressed a desire to test free agency."

The efforts to re-sign Farnsworth actually began earlier in the season, when he was still working setup duty behind Ugueth Urbina and Troy Percival. Once he took over the closer's role, the Tigers' interest increased, as did the money they were discussing. Their recent contract offer was the second one they've sent to him.

The money discussed, Dombrowski said, was what they believed to be market value for a young closer, and was at least intended to spark some negotiation. Farnsworth's agent, Barry Meister, declined the offer and essentially closed off further discussion.

Farnsworth, who had been told of Dombrowski's remarks, emphasized on Sunday that his interest in staying in Detroit was genuine.

"I love this team," said Farnsworth. "The guys are great. I had some good times here. It's a great team. We played hard every day."

At the same time, however, he confirmed he wanted to test the market at season's end, even leaving open the possibility he could sign back with the Tigers.

"I don't know if I've been waiting to have [the opportunity to be a free agent]," Farnsworth said, "but it's always nice to have the ball in your court. It's good to have that opportunity at one point in your lifetime. ... That's something [Meister] and I have talked about the past few years. We sat down and discussed the plusses and minuses and everything that goes along with it and made our decision."

In an offseason that saw the Tigers spend millions on free agents Magglio Ordonez and Percival, Farnsworth was arguably the brightest of their winter acquisitions. Having arrived via trade from the Cubs in February with a well-known 100 mph fastball and a sometimes maddening inconsistency, the 29-year-old flamethrower matured as a pitcher as he worked his way up the Tigers' relief chain.

Farnsworth became the primary setup man in early June following the Urbina trade, then took over as closer once Percival went on the disabled list after the All-Star break. Farnsworth remained effective as Tigers closer, going 5-for-5 in save opportunities since the break as he finally fulfilled a career goal.

"I've always wanted to be a closer," he said. "I never got the opportunity to do that before. I've been looking forward to doing that the last four years."

Mixing in his fastball with a nasty slider, Farnsworth ranked third among AL relievers with 11.60 strikeouts per nine innings. He fanned 15 batters in June while allowing one earned run over 10 innings to earn Tigers Pitcher of the Month honors. He's struck out 55 batters over 42 2/3 innings for the season and has stranded nine out of 14 inherited runners while posting a 2.32 ERA.

Those numbers generated much interest on the trade market.

"A lot of clubs had called me over the last month about him," Dombrowski said, "and we basically had said we weren't interested at that point in trading him. ... So when we tried [trading him], we really had identified a few clubs that might fit our need of what we wanted in return."

trade deadline 2005
complete coverage >

At least two other teams were believed to be close in pursuing Farnsworth. But Dombrowski weighed the offers he had against the two draft choices the Tigers would have received -- one a sandwich pick after the first round, the other either a first- or second-round pick -- if they had kept Farnsworth and let him sign somewhere else at season's end.

In the Braves' package, which didn't begin to come together until Saturday, Dombrowski found the top-level talent he wanted. While Colon is still considered a prospect, he's spent much of the year in the Majors. The 25-year-old flourished in a starter's role when he was asked to fill a void in the Braves' injury-depleted rotation. He went 1-2 with a 3.09 ERA as a starter compared to 0-3 with a 7.71 ERA as a reliever.

"He has such a bright upside," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "He's going to help that organization extremely."

Miner, the Braves' fourth-round selection in the 2000 draft, was 2-7 with a 4.23 ERA in 17 starts with Richmond this year. He'll join the pitching staff at Triple-A Toledo.

By far, the Tigers see Colon as the prize in the deal. With a fastball in the low to mid 90s and a splitter and slider among his tools, Dombrowski put Colon on the same level as top pitching prospects Justin Verlander and Joel Zumaya.

"Colon is a blue-chip type guy," Dombrowski said. "He is a quality, quality guy."

How he'll fit in isn't yet certain. With the Tigers rotation still intact following the deadline, Colon will join the bullpen when he hits Comerica Park on Tuesday. While he could join the rotation next season, possibly sooner, manager Alan Trammell also pointed out that he could project as a closer.

"There aren't too many guys that have arms like [Farnsworth]," Trammell said, "but [Colon is] close. That's a pretty high compliment."

For now, Fernando Rodney will take over closer's duties, returning to the role he owned going into last season. Rodney's Tommy John surgery in 2004 set in motion the Tigers' run on adding veteran stoppers, from Urbina last season to Percival this year and then Farnsworth.

They could go that route again, as Dombrowski left open the possibility of hitting the free agent market this winter. Both Trammell and pitching coach Bob Cluck agreed, though, that these last two months will be a test to see if Rodney can handle the role long-term.

The next two months will also test the Tigers to see whether they can avoid any sense of resignation. Trammell held a postgame meeting with his players to explain the move.

"We went from having three closers to having none," Dmitri Young said. "That's the only thing I have to say."

The Tigers' struggles this past week put Farnsworth in the same position as Detroit's past closers, hoping to find work during the team's struggles on the West Coast. Their recent drop from the list of American League Wild Card contenders, having lost five out of six this week, helped further the deal.

"The way we played the week, that factored in," Dombrowski said. "If you're sitting there and you're three games out, maybe it's a whole different situation. But even where we are now, our preference was to keep him."

As Dombrowski summed up, "We didn't want this to happen."

August 1st, 2005, 11:48 am
RIP Killer

9-3 in the next 12 games, bank it.

Looks like I'm overwithdrawn on my account... :lol:

August 1st, 2005, 12:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Traded farnsworth to Atlanta for some pitching prospects FYI...looks like we are sellers.

August 1st, 2005, 12:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

conversion02 wrote:
9-3 in the next 12 games, bank it.

Looks like I'm overwithdrawn on my account... :lol:

I was baking multiple batches of cornbread when I said that :shock: ](*,)

iamwithstupid.gif

August 1st, 2005, 12:32 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Were 8 games back now... Wow; when we taste .500 or what ever, we always seem to suck it up. Tigers aren't going to the playoffs now we don't have a bullpen anymore; I hope Farnsworth signs with us this offseason though, that would be great!

Michael Huff for DROY

August 1st, 2005, 1:22 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

[quote]"We went from having three closers to having none," Dmitri Young said. "That's the only thing I have to say."[/quote]

I feel DY's frustration. To me trading Farnsworth was somewhat of a give up move for this year, they should/'ve get rid of some of the other guys too- Johnson, White, Young. Any chance that they will make a waiver trade with those guys?

August 2nd, 2005, 7:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]