View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Palmeiro suspended for steroids policy violation 
QB Coach

Post Palmeiro suspended for steroids policy violation
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/orioles/2005-08-01-palmeiro-suspension_x.htm

Baltimore Orioles first baseman Rafael Palmeiro, who testified before Congress on March 17 that he'd never used steroids, was suspended by Commissioner Bud Selig on Monday for 10 games for violating baseball's steroids policy.

The announcement was made prior to the Orioles 12:35 p.m. ET game at Camden Yards against the Chicago White Sox.

Palmeiro, whose 567 career home runs and 3,018 hits make him a leading candidate for the Hall of Fame five years after he retires, immediately appealed the disciplinary action.

Palmeiro, who passed 3,000 hits this season, is the seventh major leaguer suspended under baseball's new drug program that became effective in March. He by far has the highest profile of any of the previous players disciplined.

Palmeiro during the highly publicized March 17 hearing on steroids conducted by the House of Representatives Government Reform Committee said, under oath, he'd never used steroids even though former Texas Rangers teammate Jose Canseco said otherwise in his book, Juiced.

Palmeiro's statement: "Good morning, Mr. Chairman and members of the committee. My name is Rafael Palmeiro and I am a professional baseball player. I'll be brief in my remarks today. Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never. The reference to me in Mr. Canseco's book is absolutely false. I am against the use of steroids. I don't think athletes should use steroids and I don't think our kids should use them. That point of view is one, unfortunately, that is not shared by our former colleague, Jose Canseco. Mr. Canseco is an unashamed advocate for increased steroid use by all athletes."

Palmeiro, 40, signed a one-year contract with the Orioles for 2004 that paid him $4.15 million. The Orioles exercised an option for 2005 at $3 million.

Unless reversed, the suspension will cost Palmeiro $165,746.

In 103 games this season Palmeiro is batting .280, with 18 homers and 59 runs batted in. Palmeiro had one hit in the Orioles' 9-4 loss to the White Sox in Sunday night's nationally televised game.

When he collected his 3,000th hit on July 15 off Seattle's Joel Pineiro, Palmeiro joined Hank Aaron, Willie Mays and Eddie Murray as the only players in baseball history with at least 3,000 hits and 500 home runs.

Saturday, during a press conference in Cooperstown, N.Y., new members Wade Boggs and Ryne Sandberg both said Palmiero should ? and will ? be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

August 1st, 2005, 12:59 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

My question is, does this hurt his chances for him being a first ballet HOFer?

August 1st, 2005, 1:10 pm
Modmin Dude

My guess is that i won't, but I think it should.

August 1st, 2005, 1:15 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Thats what I going to say... I think it will hurt his chances mightely because already there questioning if he should go to the hall; now it will acctually give writers a better excuse and I'm not sure if he'll go to the hall now... He lied right to congresses face too.

Michael Huff for DROY

August 1st, 2005, 1:25 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never. The reference to me in Mr. Canseco's book is absolutely false.

Now it's something like... "Well, I didn't know what it was doing to me!" The same cop-out that Bonds used.

Anyways a few intriguing questions...

1) Why did they wait on this until after he broke the record, or did they just find out?

2) The Orioles just tried to deal for a 1B in Nevin. Did they know about this before the trade?

August 1st, 2005, 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

That is such a dumb retort by these guys...

Like oh I just let people put needles in and never ask what it is :roll:

He would have been better off claiming it was the no_adds.

August 1st, 2005, 4:00 pm
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

I don't want to sound like I'm excusing Palmero from blame. He, and whoever else uses them, need to be held accountable. However, we as fans push this type of behavior. We crave homeruns and most, NOT ALL, fans would not come to watch a "real" baseball game. When Babe Ruth put up 60 home runs in 1927 only one other person hit more than 30.

More people sit down to watch the Home Run Derby then tsit to watch the World Seris. If we are going to beg for nothing more than home runs and perfect games then these guys are going to juice so that they can put up those numbers.

Yes, what they did was bad. But how much would baseball suffer if the numbers went back down to where they used to be. Would people want to watch a 1-1 game until the end?

August 1st, 2005, 10:49 pm
QB Coach

I think that the players juicing up has little to do with them wanting to entertain the fans. What we want (home runs) has little effect on them taking steroids. There are NUMEROUS other, better reasons for them to be taking them. They get more money, as their performance increases. Teams want home run hitters.

August 1st, 2005, 11:27 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think that the players juicing up has little to do with them wanting to entertain the fans. What we want (home runs) has little effect on them taking steroids. There are NUMEROUS other, better reasons for them to be taking them. They get more money, as their performance increases. Teams want home run hitters.

Relatively related, here's an interesting fact. In mid May, Palmeiro was hitting .216.

***stat came from Ken Rosenthal of the Sporting News***

August 2nd, 2005, 10:38 am
League MVP

I think steroids are wrong but I dont think that this should affect HOF status. As much as I hate steroids, baseball didnt screen for them until 2004, but even then did not issue suspensions, they are really only illegal starting in 2005. Palmeiro accomplished way to much up to the start of this season. It would be unfair to selectively keep him out of the Hall.

August 2nd, 2005, 7:40 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I think steroids are wrong but I dont think that this should affect HOF status. As much as I hate steroids, baseball didnt screen for them until 2004, but even then did not issue suspensions, they are really only illegal starting in 2005. Palmeiro accomplished way to much up to the start of this season. It would be unfair to selectively keep him out of the Hall.

I disagree. Just because they didn't screen for steriods doesn't make it okay. In my opinion, all of Palmeiro's records should be wiped out and he should be declared ineligable for the HOF. He was caught doing something illeagal and should be punished.

August 3rd, 2005, 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

That is such a dumb retort by these guys...

Like oh I just let people put needles in and never ask what it is.

Steroids dont have to be injected. They can also come in creams. Like Bonds was reported of using.

August 3rd, 2005, 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]