View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 7:04 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Tigers need speed 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Tigers need speed
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=knight-_WWW_guidi12e_20050812&prov=knight&type=lgns

Thats as good of an explanation as any that I have heard. If we get rid of Da Meat Hook, put Maggs at DH, and make Granderson and Monroe at the corners, that might help.

Quote:
GENE GUIDI: Lack of speed stalls Tigers

BY GENE GUIDI, FREE PRESS COLUMNIST
August 12, 2005

Entering spring training, the Tigers thought they had the best lineup in the American League Central.

They feel even stronger about the team they can field with the additions of Placido Polanco and Chris Shelton.

ADVERTISEMENT

But the team that looks so good on paper doesn't look the same once it leaves the dugout, does it?

Something's missing.

Something that makes the bad times outnumber the good on a team that should be better than its 53-61 record.

I asked a member of the Tigers family for his perception of why that is. He thinks the Tigers are basically a team of designated hitters without the speed that teams like the White Sox and Indians have.

When you're at Comerica Park, he said, look at the outfield expanse and ask yourself: Shouldn't the Tigers put a premium on fast players who can cover a lot of ground?

In the ongoing baseball debate over whether speed and defense should be sacrificed for power potential, the Tigers usually seem to vote for offense.

When centerfielder Nook Logan isn't in the lineup, too many fly balls that stay up a long time and should be caught aren't. That can turn a scoreless inning into four runs in a hurry. Over the course of a season, it can also wear down a pitching staff.

The Tigers' lack of speed on defense probably goes a long way toward explaining why they have a losing record in their spacious park.

Veteran Rondell White played leftfield for most of the season until his ailing right shoulder relegated him to a DH role. Dmitri Young, a DH much of the time, filled in while White was unavailable to play in the field.

Craig Monroe, better suited to a corner position, was in center when Logan slumped because the lineup wasn't producing and manager Alan Trammell wanted to get Monroe's team-leading RBI bat in the lineup.

Magglio Ordonez, returning from a variety of injuries, has been a fixture in rightfield since his return.

Our guest analyst said he believes the Tigers would be a stronger team if Ordonez, a true run producer, was the DH and rightfield was patrolled by a better defender.

But with a number of other players also better suited to the DH role, that's not going to happen on a regular basis -- at least not for the rest of this season, and quite possibly not next season, either. Barring injury, Young's big-dollar option for 2006 will kick in before this season ends, and he's the most likely DH in next season's lineup.

Lack of speed also hurts the Tigers on offense. Teams like the Indians and White Sox can manufacture runs without relying on extra-base hits. When Logan isn't in the lineup, the Tigers have difficulty doing that.

If the Tigers decide that neither Logan nor Curtis Granderson, currently at Triple-A Toledo, is the full-time answer in center next season, they must try to find someone who can make plays. Even if it's a centerfielder who hits .240 -- as long as he has the quickness to run down balls that otherwise fall safely and open the floodgates to big innings.

With Logan in the lineup at the beginning of this trip, his speed and defense in center were as much responsible as anything else for the Tigers' only victory in the four-game series against the Blue Jays.

The Tigers seem closer to a rotisserie team than a team capable of winning games in a variety of ways. The front office has the off-season to correct that. If it doesn't, you'll be scratching your head again a year from now, wondering why this team can't play .500 ball.

Contact GENE GUIDI at 313-222-2378 or guidi@freepress.com.

August 12th, 2005, 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

It's upsetting that Granderson likely won't play CF, rather LF for the team. I don't know about putting Magglio at DH, he's got a great arm in RF and with the money he's getting paid, he should be playing in the field not playing DH.

It's a nice thought, but "speed" isn't what we need. It's pitching. And when we pitch well, we don't hit. So we need hitting. Frankly, I don't know what's wrong with the team. They are just immune to winning.

August 12th, 2005, 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

They are just immune to winning.

Took the words out of my mouth. They have a team full of talent, but not a team of winners. Ask yourself, are all the guys on the ChiSox fast? No, but they know how to win. Thats what we need, winners.

August 12th, 2005, 10:47 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

When our pitching was good our, our hitting was terrible, when our hitting was good; our pitching was terrible, so as you said; Brian were immune to winning. We have a bunch of talent, and we had one of the best bull pens in the Majors, we had three closers and 2 great setup men, we just needed a long reliever. I'm happy we traded Urbina for Polanco though... If Percival was acctually worth his money and we kept Fanrsworth this would be our bullpen:

CL-Troy Percival
Setup man-Kyle Fanrsworth
Setup man-Fernando Rodney
Setup man-Craig Dingman
Middle reliever-Jamie Walker
Long reliever/Middle reliever-Frankly German

I could almost say thats the best bullpen in the majors... But, it doesn't do any good thinking about what if. :( :cry:

Michael Huff for DROY

August 13th, 2005, 8:08 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Farnsworth turned down a 4-year deal with the club before they traded him, that would have given him good closer money. He wasn't returning.

August 13th, 2005, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW

Farnsworth turned down a 4-year deal with the club before they traded him, that would have given him good closer money. He wasn't returning.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But I was saying "What if"...

Michael Huff for DROY

August 13th, 2005, 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

But it's not about "what if". It wasn't plausible. There was no chance of it happening. He wouldn't re-sign.

August 14th, 2005, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

But it's not about "what if". It wasn't plausible. There was no chance of it happening. He wouldn't re-sign.

Didn't I just get done saying that I was aware of that! I was tacking out my frustration in What If land!!

My god man; I am not dumb!!

Michael Huff for DROY

August 14th, 2005, 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

August 15th, 2005, 2:27 am
Profile WWW

Alright, lets just stop this before it turns into a pissing match... I think we can agree that I don't like you and you don't like me. Don't call me dumb and we can all get along. And lets hope we have good solid debates down the road instead of pissing matches turning to no were...

Truss.

Michael Huff for DROY

August 15th, 2005, 11:16 am
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]