View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Polanco agrees to four-year extension 
QB Coach

Post Polanco agrees to four-year extension
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050802&content_id=1154616&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Quote:
Polanco agrees to four-year extension
Second baseman to remain in Detroit through 2009 season
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- The Tigers agreed to terms with second baseman Placido Polanco on Tuesday on a four-year contract extension, locking up another veteran player for the long-term.

The deal completed a negotiation both sides wanted to pursue soon after Polanco arrived in Detroit via trade from Philadelphia in June. The longtime National Leaguer has put on a virtual hit parade since arriving in the American League and solidified a position that has been relatively shaky for the Tigers over the last few years.

Polanco, 29, entered Tuesday batting .358 (44-for-123) with the Tigers with eight doubles, two home runs, 17 RBIs and a .426 on-base percentage, numbers that have made him Detroit's everyday leadoff hitter. He's hitting .335 for the season between Detroit and Philadelphia and is a .299 hitter over his nine-year Major League career.

Defensively, Polanco's .991 fielding percentage leads all active second basemen with at least 400 games at the position. His lone error as a Tiger ended an errorles stretch of 416 total chances from Aug. 3, 2004 until June 24 of this year.

Polanco could've been a free agent at season's end, but he talked openly about wanting to be in Detroit for the long- term. He instructed his agent, Seth Levinson, to discuss a possible contract with the Tigers, but not to tell him anything until a deal was close to completion.

The fact that Polanco wasn't on the trade market as last Sunday's non-waiver trade deadline approached was a sign of progress. The Tigers tried to pursue a similar long-term deal with closer Kyle Farnsworth, but his desire to test free agency prompted the Tigers to trade him to Atlanta on Sunday.

Polanco's extension begins next season and runs through 2009, meaning Detroit's double-play combination is under contract for the next two years. Shortstop Carlos Guillen signed a three-year extension under similar circumstances last summer after joining the Tigers through a trade from Seattle.

What remains to be seen is what this deal will mean for young middle infielder Omar Infante, who had been the starting second baseman for more than a year until Polanco arrived. Though he has performed well in a reserve role since Polanco arrived and filled in at second base when Polanco missed two weeks last month due to a strained left hamstring tendon, the 23-year-old could fetch interest from other teams this offseason.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

August 2nd, 2005, 4:40 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Polanco, 29, entered Tuesday batting .358 (44-for-123) with the Tigers with eight doubles, two home runs, 17 RBIs and a .426 on-base percentage, numbers that have made him Detroit's everyday leadoff hitter.

headbang.gif

Its so great to have him locked up. But what about that lead-off comment? I haven't watched a game in a while, but Inge has been good leadoff this year.

August 3rd, 2005, 12:21 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

I haven't seen a game since they traded Farnsworth, and went on that road trip. This season is done. They don't want to win right now and are building. It doesn't make sense that this team can't compete. Pudge, Mags, Guillen, Shelton, Polanco, Inge, White, Monroe, Granderson, Young... and yet we still aren't .500. I don't know what the deal is. When one man on this team is hitting, the rest aren't. It's like they are immune to winning.

August 3rd, 2005, 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I haven't seen a game since they traded Farnsworth, and went on that road trip. This season is done. They don't want to win right now and are building. It doesn't make sense that this team can't compete. Pudge, Mags, Guillen, Shelton, Polanco, Inge, White, Monroe, Granderson, Young... and yet we still aren't .500. I don't know what the deal is. When one man on this team is hitting, the rest aren't. It's like they are immune to winning.

I agree Brian. That is a great lineup and our pitching has been a lot better this year than in years past. It seems our problem is consistency and fielding. You can trace both of those issues back to the manager. I love Trammell, but he just doesn't seem to hit the right chords with this team. He may need to be let go at the end of the year if we don't make a run in the last 1/3 of the year.

Tim

August 3rd, 2005, 10:43 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Polanco has been a great Leadoff hitter though... I still wan't us to sign a CF this offseason if possible to be our Leadoff hitter. Logan will never be able to leadoff; though he has blazing speed. This year is definately done, it's obvious were not use to winning; it shows in our inconsistency.

I can't believe we traded away Farnsworth though, I'm very pissed. Hopefully we can sign him this offseason.

As for our needs next year, were going to need a closer, long reliever, set up man, two starting pitchers, and a CF... After we get these players were on our way; offcourse Hockey is back in town and now Illitch could give two poop about the Tigers... :cry:

Michael Huff for DROY

August 3rd, 2005, 11:27 am
Profile WWW

I don't think we need two starting pitchers. JJ is gone I think, but the rest have upside. At least we have some good pitching propsects, Zumaya, Verlander.

Why don't you like Logan? This is his first full year in the majors, he still has some growing that can be done, IMO. And we also have Granderson/Monroe for Center.

August 3rd, 2005, 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Polanco has been a great Leadoff hitter though... I still wan't us to sign a CF this offseason if possible to be our Leadoff hitter. Logan will never be able to leadoff; though he has blazing speed. This year is definately done, it's obvious were not use to winning; it shows in our inconsistency.

I can't believe we traded away Farnsworth though, I'm very pissed. Hopefully we can sign him this offseason.

As for our needs next year, were going to need a closer, long reliever, set up man, two starting pitchers, and a CF... After we get these players were on our way; offcourse Hockey is back in town and now Illitch could give two poop about the Tigers... :cry:

What's your beef with Nook? No, he can't hit homeruns. But he has great speed in center field, makes the defense think about bunting everytime he's up, has tremendous speed, and makes good contact. He played well this year, considering no one gave him a chance. We also have Granderson coming up next year. We don't need a CF, and we already have 3 potential leadoff hitters in Inge, Polanco, and Logan.

We offered Farnsworth a 4-year deal for a large sum of money (comparable to the top closers in the league), and he rejected it, which led to his trade. We had to trade him to get something out of him.

We also don't need 2 new starting pitchers. We have Bonderman and Maroth, who are locks, Sean Douglass who has looked good, Nate Robertson who never gets any run support, Joel Zumaya (probably won't be ready until one more year), Kyle Sleeth and Justin Verlander coming up, don't forget about Wilfredo Ledezma and Roman Colon as well. Kenny Baugh has played well in AAA. He's ready. Jason Karnuth is 7-1 with a 2.06 ERA 29 SO 14 Walks in Toledo. Bottom line is, we have loads of great young pitching coming up that will help us out, and we don't have to use money there.

I don't think Illitch doesn't care about the Tigers. He already said he wants to get the payroll over 100 million in the future. He can only spend a certain amount of money on the Wings, and as of now, Hockey is an inferior sport in terms of marketability.

August 3rd, 2005, 2:00 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

BTW - why the HELL hasn't Marcus Thames been called up yet? Why doesn't the organization like him? .377 15 HRs 41 RBIs in 41 games. Also 37 SO and get this, a .771 slugging percentage!!! Pena has also rejuvenated his career... playing very well in the minors. Batting .330 with 10 HRs and 40 RBIs, 56 SO in 57 games.

Yet we have guys like Jon McDonald on our team instead...

August 3rd, 2005, 2:06 pm
Profile WWW

BTW - why the HELL hasn't Marcus Thames been called up yet? Why doesn't the organization like him? .377 15 HRs 41 RBIs in 41 games. Also 37 SO and get this, a .771 slugging percentage!!! Pena has also rejuvenated his career... playing very well in the minors. Batting .330 with 10 HRs and 40 RBIs, 56 SO in 57 games.

Yet we have guys like Jon McDonald on our team instead...

They remember that he could only hit homers when he was up here. The low strike out total looks good. He had some bad plate disipline when he was in Detroit. I would like him to come back, but I want Pena as far away as he can go. :lol:

August 3rd, 2005, 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

No I don't have anything against Logan; but, I want a CF who can lead off. Logan is a good CF who bats ninth, he's a very good 9th hitter by I want a leadoff hitter!

Michael Huff for DROY

August 3rd, 2005, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW

No I don't have anything against Logan; but, I want a CF who can lead off. Logan is a good CF who bats ninth, he's a very good 9th hitter by I want a leadoff hitter!

Logan can lead-off, he just isn't ready yet. Give him a year, and he will be leading off, IMO.

August 3rd, 2005, 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]