View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Mr. Robinson 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Mr. Robinson
http://www.detnews.com/2005/tigers/0508/25/D06-292928.htm

headbang.gif

Quote:
Robinson: Erase Palmeiro's stats

Nationals manager says such a penalty is warranted because of steroids suspension.

Detroit News wire services

WASHINGTON -- Nationals manager Frank Robinson said he thinks Rafael Palmeiro's statistics should be erased because Palmeiro was suspended for a failed drug test.

"Where do you go back, stop and say, 'OK, when did he start using steroids?' To eliminate all that, and get the players' attention, you wipe the whole thing out," Robinson told MLB.com in a story posted on the Web site Tuesday night.

"Why put the burden on baseball to try and figure out where to go, and maybe put an asterisk? Just wipe the whole thing out."

Palmeiro, a first baseman for the Orioles, was suspended Aug. 1, less than three weeks after his 3,000th hit made him one of four players in major league history with that many hits and at least 500 home runs.

His 569 career homers rank ninth in history.

Robinson, a member of the Hall of Fame, is sixth with 586 homers.

Asked by MLB.com if he would wipe out Palmeiro's records, Robinson said: "I would. He was found to have used steroids, and he served a 10-day suspension.

"I was surprised and taken aback that he was using steroids, because I never thought about him being a person that might be a steroids user.

"I always admired him for the way he went about his work, the way he performed on the field and the way he conducted himself off the field."

When asked about Robinson's comments before a Wednesday night game against the Angels, Palmeiro said, "I respect Frank Robinson. He's entitled to his opinion, but I'm not going to comment on that."

Said Angels manager Mike Scioscia: "It's tough to just discount what a guy like Raffy has done, or players who have Hall of Fame numbers."

Palmeiro returned to the lineup and played first base for the first time since July 31. He went 0-for-3 with an RBI on a sacrifice fly.

August 25th, 2005, 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I agree with Frank. He was caught using steroids and we have no way of knowing when he started. On top of that, he lied to the Supreme Court, isn't that purjury? Shouldn't he be charged? MLB needs to make an example out of someone, why not Palmero? McGwire retired before MLB wised up. Bonds is supposedly has knee problems - sorry, I don't believe it for a minute. Bonds is out of baseball right now so he can get clean and then he'll be back (and he'll be a lot smaller and won't be as good). Actually, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that Bonds is going to retire. Why not? He has plenty of money. His stats are good enough for the HOF. Why risk coming back and not being able to continue like he was? or take the chance of getting caught?

August 25th, 2005, 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]