View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 30th, 2014, 11:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Tigers getting Adrian Beltre? 
QB Coach

Post Tigers getting Adrian Beltre?
Quote:
Tigers need to roar
The Mets and Tigers are the teams I see being most aggressive at the winter meetings.

Both clubs are willing to spend, and both would like to finalize some deals before leaving California.

I would say Detroit, which is making a big play to try and become competitive again, has the most to lose if it were to come away from the winter meetings and this offseason with little in the way of additions.

The Tigers' signing of free-agent catcher Ivan Rodriguez last winter was the team's first strike in its attempt to regain respectability, and that signing clearly worked out.

Detroit began this offseason by signing closer Troy Percival for $12 million over two years.

Now the Tigers need to follow those moves up, and their willingness to pay big dollars might very well be a dream come true for agent Scott Boras, who represents a slew of high-profile free agents including Carlos Beltran, Magglio Ordonez, J.D. Drew, Derek Lowe and Adrian Beltre -- just to name a few.

All Boras needs is one team willing to spend freely on his clients, and that drives up their price on the open market.

I think the Tigers are that team, and if so, you can expect Boras to play Detroit off against other potential suitors.

The Tigers are interested in Lowe, Beltre, Drew, and Beltran.

But while I think some of Boras' second-tier free agents could be signed at the winter meetings, I don't see his top clients agreeing to new deals until at least January.

Boras is content to play a waiting game with owners trying to force him into lowering his demands for his clients.

This isn't the only article I have found that states the Tigers are interested in spending money this off-season. ESPN's Jayson Stark stated that the Tigers were the favorite to sign Beltre last night on ESPN. I'd love to see Beltran here, but we don't have a realistic chance of getting him. Hopefully Lowe will come back to Michigan, and Beltre will probably be the other big name free agent we sign, although he has only had one good year. Beltran is less of a risk, but will kill our payroll.

I don't want to see us overpay to get talent here. We didn't overpay Pudge, we didn't overpay Guillen. That's not the way this team was built. It's good to know that we are actually talking about the Tigers in December.

December 9th, 2004, 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Apparently a couple of these good FA have agents that are very Tiger friendly as well. It's nice to have our team in the running for some quality players :D

December 10th, 2004, 10:28 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

From what I saw on TV, Adrian Beltre will be a Tiger or a Mariner, and J.D. Drew will most likely be a Tiger. All the analysts on ESPN predicted Drew to the Tigers, and they also hinted that the Tigers wanted to make a huge splash in free agency, either Beltre or Beltran. I'd like to see Lowe as well with Drew and Beltre, but I'm living in a dream world here.

December 11th, 2004, 2:39 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]