View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 29th, 2014, 5:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tigers sign their top draft pick... 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Tigers sign their top draft pick...
He could pitch in Detroit THIS YEAR.

Meet Andrew Miller:

Quote:
Miller signs, could soon pitch in relief for Tigers

Dombrowski says left-hander has chance to contribute during drive for pennant in September.

Lynn Henning - The Tigers signed left-hander Andrew Miller, their top pick in the 2006 draft, Friday and simultaneously pulled a potential September surprise when they announced he could join their bullpen next month.

Miller, a hard-throwing 21-year-old from the University of North Carolina, will begin workouts immediately for Class A Lakeland and will be monitored ahead of a possible promotion to Detroit, when roster limits expand from 25 players to 40 on Sept. 1.

"One of the thoughts in our mind was, if we could get Andrew signed in a reasonable amount of time, he could be helpful to us in the month of September in the bullpen," said Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski, who was part of a news conference attended by Miller, his parents, his agent, Mark Rodgers, and Tigers executives David Chadd and Al Avila.

"He's going to be a starter in the long term, but he could be valuable as a (September) reliever."

Miller was taken with the sixth overall pick. He entered the draft as the consensus top player in the 2006 amateur sweepstakes and was selected as college player of the year. Miller scared away teams higher in the draft because of fears he and his agent were requesting a prohibitively large contract.

Although none of the parties Friday would comment on money issues, Miller will receive a four-year major league contract (immediate 40-man roster spot) that could pay upward of $7 million.

Baseball America reported late Friday that Miller's signing bonus is $5.4 million, with escalator clauses that could make the package worth $7.5 million.

Miller, who is 6-foot-6, 210 pounds, was 13-2 with a 2.48 ERA and struck out 133 in 123 innings this season for North Carolina, which reached the College World Series. He is North Carolina's career strikeouts leader and was 27-9 with a 2.85 ERA during his three-year career.

The Tigers and Rodgers said Friday's contract agreement was "coincidental" to Thursday's signing of Luke Hochevar, the No. 1 overall pick, by the Royals.

The heftiest contract signed by a 2006 draft selection went to Notre Dame pitcher -- and football receiver -- Jeff Samardzija. It is a guaranteed $7.25 million deal without the performance clauses contained in Miller's deal.

Signing their first-round pick in August represents a change in fortunes for the Tigers, who had no such luck during negotiations with their 2004 and 2005 first-round picks, Justin Verlander and Cameron Maybin. Verlander did not sign until November 2004 and Maybin signed in September 2005, each after difficult and protracted discussions.

Chadd, scouting director for the Tigers, repeatedly praised owner Mike Ilitch for his "generosity" in enabling the Tigers to sign Miller with relative ease.

Miller conceded the chance to possibly play for the Tigers next month was further incentive to join a first-place team.

"I watch every chance I get," said Miller, speaking of cable-television access to his new team. "It's why I'm so happy to be a Tiger right now. The future certainly is bright in Detroit and I hope I can be part of that."

Miller said he had pitched out of the bullpen on several occasions during his college career, including "a couple of times" during the College World Series.

Dombrowski, however, made it clear that Miller's bullpen stops are merely short-term avenues aimed at getting him to Detroit rapidly, where a left-hander of his recognized talent could become part of the Tigers' increasingly surprising season.

Last edited by BillySims on August 6th, 2006, 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

August 5th, 2006, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

This is going to be a tough call for the Tigers...

Bonderman, Verlander, Rogers, Maroth...all bonafied starters. Miner has pitched well in his starts this season as well. Hell, even Ledezma pitched a solid game today. That's 6 starters and Miller could be 7. They can't keep that many, so who would they demote? Miner or Ledezma?

August 6th, 2006, 2:43 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The Tigers said that if they bring Miller up in September, he would strictly be a relief pitcher. They see him as a starter in the future, but not this season.

August 6th, 2006, 4:07 pm
RIP Killer

But...they'll have 6 starters, 7 M/Rs, and 1 closer. Seems like a few too many. I'm not complaining, because the more the merrier, but it seems like too many. They brought up Miner when Maroth went down. Seems like they'd have to demote Miner, Colon, or Ledezma just to accomdate Maroth...not to mention Miller.

Starters:
Verlander
Bonderman
Rogers
Robertson
Maroth
Miner

Relievers:
Walker
Zumaya
Rodney
Ledezma
Grili
Colon
Miller

Closer:
Jones

August 6th, 2006, 4:26 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

You forget that the roster expands from 25 to 40 in September.

August 6th, 2006, 5:04 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

You forget that the roster expands from 25 to 40 in September.

That was exactly what I was going to say Sly, but you beat me to it. I'm excited about this kid, he looks to be a can't miss talent. We sure are stocking the pitching talent.....

Tim

August 7th, 2006, 1:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]