View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 4:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Tigers' Bulletin Tigers acquire Sean Casey from Pittsburgh 
Modmin Dude

Post Tigers' Bulletin Tigers acquire Sean Casey from Pittsburgh
MLive.com wrote:
Monday, July 31, 2006

Tigers to get Casey?
One rumor this morning had the Tigers making a late run at Pittsburgh 1B Sean Casey

That would be pretty sweet. Who they have to give up for him???

Joe Fauria, MVP!

Last edited by TheRealWags on July 31st, 2006, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 31st, 2006, 11:55 am
Modmin Dude

Well, here it is. We've got Casey at the bat now!!!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/pres ... p&c_id=det

Quote:
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers announced today the club has acquired first baseman Sean Casey from the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for righthanded pitcher Brian Rogers. Additionally, the club has optioned the contract of first baseman Chris Shelton to Triple-A Toledo.
Casey hit .296 (63x213) with 30 runs scored, 15 doubles, three home runs and 29 RBI in 59 games this season for the Pirates. Since June 25, he has batted .315 (26x92) with 15 RBI in 26 games for Pittsburgh.

The 32-year old is hitting .304 (1288x4230) in 1,140 games during his 10 year major league career with Cleveland (1997), Cincinnati (1998-2005) and Pittsburgh (2006). Casey is 14th among all active major league players with his .304 batting average and has finished in the top 10 in hitting in the National League three times during his career, including fifth in 2005 (.312), seventh in 2004 (.324) and fourth in 1999 (.332). He has collected 271 doubles, 121 home runs and 634 RBI during his career.

A three-time National League all-star selection (1999, 2001 and 2004), Casey has not committed an error in 491 total chances at first base this season. He has posted a .995 fielding percentage at first base during his career.

Shelton saw action in 102 games for the Tigers this season, batting .277 (98x354) with 16 home runs and 45 RBI.

Rogers appeared in 37 games for Double A Erie and posted a 3-2 record and 2.39 ERA (64.0IP/17ER). His contract will be assigned to Double A Altoona in the Eastern League.

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 31st, 2006, 11:56 am
Veteran General Manager

Well that certainly isn't a move that I would have predicted. I'm really kind of ambivalent to it. When casey is on he is pretty damn good. I have had him on fantasy teams before and he has done well for me. But, he is having a down year this year. I don't really see the benefit of getting him over letting Shelton get himself untracked before the playoffs unless Leyland has lost all confidence in Shelton.

July 31st, 2006, 12:18 pm
Modmin Dude

Hasn't Shelton been in a slump since May???

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 31st, 2006, 12:26 pm
Veteran General Manager

Yes, he has. Which is why I was wondering if Leyland has lost all confidence in Shelton.

July 31st, 2006, 12:29 pm
IMO they're just doing to Shelton what they did to DY... sent him to the minors for a while to get his head straight and his confidence up... Casey is much more reliable and consistent at the plate, and he has a solid glove... Shelton basically single-handedly lost the damn Twins game for us with his error in the 8th... IMO this is a good move for all parties involved...

July 31st, 2006, 12:38 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

well, It certainly wasn't a "big splash" but since Shelton's been slumping, I like it. Casey is a left handed bat, good fielder, same type of hitter as Shelton. It shouldn't disturb the clubhouse at all.

I just hope Red Pop can make it back up in September.

It's moves like this that ususally end up being better than the ones where a big name is brought in.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

July 31st, 2006, 1:01 pm
well, It certainly wasn't a "big splash" but since Shelton's been slumping, I like it. Casey is a left handed bat, good fielder, same type of hitter as Shelton. It shouldn't disturb the clubhouse at all.

I just hope Red Pop can make it back up in September.

It's moves like this that ususally end up being better than the ones where a big name is brought in.

Worst comes to worst we pick up another bat on the bench, and the opportunitty to rest our outfielders a little more (instead of putting them at DH) and helps solidify the DH spot... Monroe has been batting well lately, but he's crazy streaky...

The more I think about this trade the more I like it...

July 31st, 2006, 1:07 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I like this move. As stated, it's another left handed bat and we didn't have to give up any of our prized young talent. Casey has a great On Base Percentage thruout his career. Shelton has been struggling and a trip to Toledo should do him some good. I really didn't want to make a big move since Dmitri has been back swinging the bat well.

I would love another middle reliever to be added, but I don't see that happening before midnight.

Tim

July 31st, 2006, 1:33 pm
Red Shirt Freshman

I would love another middle reliever to be added, but I don't see that happening before midnight.

I'm pretty sure the dead line is 4 o'clock

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor..." -George Washington

July 31st, 2006, 1:57 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Yeah, it is 4 o'clock. Good call PT. I'm half asleep at work since I didn't get much sleep last night. My bad.....

Tim

July 31st, 2006, 2:56 pm
RIP Killer

I can't believe how well DY has been hitting lately...with power too. What, 4 homers in the past 3 series? If he can keep that up, he's going to help this team out more than any trade would...unless Shelton gets sent down (which makes me wonder because Casey isn't too bad on the bag at first and DY sucks).

Shelton better get his *** in gear if he wants to be with this team by October.

July 31st, 2006, 10:08 pm
I can't believe how well DY has been hitting lately...with power too. What, 4 homers in the past 3 series? If he can keep that up, he's going to help this team out more than any trade would...unless Shelton gets sent down (which makes me wonder because Casey isn't too bad on the bag at first and DY sucks).

Shelton better get his *** in gear if he wants to be with this team by October.

Wow C-02... I figured there'd be a "the sky is falling" post outta you after the loss... I agree... DY sucked azz today at first... Even worse than Shelton the other day, and that's no easy feat!... Still he's doing great with the bat... He needs to slow down a little bit and be more patient, but his swing is spot on!... I am really surprised with the debacle going on out there that JL didn't throw Casey in there to play the bag... Oh well though, the skipper knows what he's doing and it was probably a smart move to let Casey get comfortable with the team before throwing him to the wolves...

July 31st, 2006, 10:41 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Casey better be in there earning his paycheck tonight.....

BTW, I definitely thought Casey was set to pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth before Pudge went down hacking air.

After last night, I am just excited that there might be a player in the lineup who won't swing at every god-awful pitch hurled at him.....

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

August 1st, 2006, 8:36 am
Veteran General Manager

Last night definately looks as if Kenny Rogers 2nd half of the season swoon has arrived. Hopefully he gets it straightened back out. JL is planning on going with 6 starting pitchers for most of the 2nd half. So, that will help the SP's arms recover between starts. Hopefully KR will benefit from it.

August 1st, 2006, 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next