View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Tigers acquire Neifi Perez. 
Veteran General Manager

Post Tigers acquire Neifi Perez.
Quote:
Perez comes from Cubs to restore infield depth

He played shortstop for Leyland in Colorado but likely will fill a role as a utility player here.

Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Tigers' waiver-wire vigil paid off Sunday.

In search for an infielder who might help compensate for Placido Polanco's absence, they acquired Neifi Perez from the Chicago Cubs for minor league catcher Chris Robinson.

Perez, 33, has played for the Cubs, San Francisco, Kansas City and Colorado in his 11-year career. In 87 games with the Cubs, he was batting .254 with two home runs and 24 RBIs.

Polanco is out until at least mid-September because of a separated shoulder. Perez is not expected to replace Omar Infante as Polanco's primary backup, although he should see considerable playing time.

"He's a legitimate everyday guy," said Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers' general manager, whose big league scouts had been studying Perez in recent days. "He's a switch hitter, he's a reliable second baseman and he can play shortstop."

Robinson was the Tigers' third-round draft pick out of Illinois in June 2005. He was batting .286 with one home run and 47 RBIs at Class A Lakeland. Although considered a good defensive catcher, his lack of power led the Tigers to project him as a likely backup catcher.

Perez, who played for Tigers manager Jim Leyland when Leyland was with Colorado, is signed through the 2007 season. His base salary is $2.5 million for 2006 and for '07.

Miller time

Tigers pitching prospect Andrew Miller was brilliant in his professional debut Sunday during Lakeland's 3-1 victory at Fort Myers.

Miller, a 6-foot-6 left-hander whom the Tigers grabbed with the sixth overall selection in June's draft, pitched one inning of relief, striking out the first two batters before hitting the next batter in the foot on an 0-2 pitch. He retired the fourth hitter on a first-pitch ground ball to second.

"His fastball on the high end was 97 (mph), and averaged 96, his breaking ball was nice and crisp, and his cutter was at 89," said Jon Matlack , the Tigers' minor league roving pitching instructor.

"In talking to the kid afterward, he was still not happy how it went, although I thought it went very well," Matlack said. "His demeanor was very comfortable, considering the circumstances. He could easily have struck out the side."

Miller, 21, was the NCAA college pitcher of the year while helping North Carolina reach the finals of the College World Series.

He is expected to join the Tigers when roster numbers expand Sept. 1.

Maroth 'tender'

Mike Maroth 's pitching line Saturday night looked like that of a man about ready to rejoin his big league team: six innings, one hit, one run and three strikeouts during an 85-pitch effort that helped Toledo to a 20-2 walloping of Columbus.

Maroth, however, said Sunday he had "tenderness" in his left (throwing) elbow, which was operated on 11 weeks ago to remove bone chips.

The discomfort, Maroth emphasized, was nothing he considered unusual or alarming.

"You're gonna feel that throughout the year, even if you're not injured," he said, comparing the discomfort with typical pain he might feel after the third start of a regular season.

"We'll see how it goes the next couple of days."

If Maroth recovers as he anticipates, he likely will make the fourth start of his rehabilitation stay with the Mud Hens on Thursday.

Leyland, who generally avoids commenting on disabled-list players, was in no mood to talk about Maroth.

"He pitched very well," Leyland said. "That's the end of the conversation about Maroth."

Around the horn

The Tigers played host to another sellout crowd Sunday: 39,071 tickets sold. Although Comerica Park's capacity is listed as 41,070, complimentary tickets distributed for a given game can create a sellout when their numbers and the tickets-sold figures are combined.

Fernando Rodney 's ERA in his last 14 outings is 1.84.

In 12 games since July 15, Omar Infante is batting .326.

Craig Monroe remains hot. Since July 1, Monroe has batted .350 with 14 doubles, two triples, nine home runs and 31 RBIs.

August 21st, 2006, 8:57 am
Nefi is frickin' GARBAGE... I really have no clue as to why we're playing him. He's batting something like .147 since coming here... Like I said... I would rather Infante play 2nd right now... He makes mistakes here and there with his glove, but he's three times better at the plate. Also, Gullien looks terrible in the field right now. His bat is huge, but IMO until that hammy gets better our infield should be Infante/Perez (ONLY Perez because Infante is already in there) OR IMO more preferably Infante/Gomez or Sanchez.... Sure they're young, but IMO they're better than what we have right now... Guillen isn't even going after balls right now... Sit him, let his leg heal, and play him when it gets better... We're looking crappy at a bad time in the season.

September 14th, 2006, 9:32 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Nefi is frickin' GARBAGE... I really have no clue as to why we're playing him. He's batting something like .147 since coming here... Like I said... I would rather Infante play 2nd right now... He makes mistakes here and there with his glove, but he's three times better at the plate. Also, Gullien looks terrible in the field right now. His bat is huge, but IMO until that hammy gets better our infield should be Infante/Perez (ONLY Perez because Infante is already in there) OR IMO more preferably Infante/Gomez or Sanchez.... Sure they're young, but IMO they're better than what we have right now... Guillen isn't even going after balls right now... Sit him, let his leg heal, and play him when it gets better... We're looking crappy at a bad time in the season.

Thing is, with Guillen, his defense never was very average before his hamstring injury, so that is no surprise. But we cannot do without his bat in the lineup right now, especially with Polanco out.

Tim

September 14th, 2006, 9:56 am
Quote:

Thing is, with Guillen, his defense never was very average before his hamstring injury, so that is no surprise. But we cannot do without his bat in the lineup right now, especially with Polanco out.

That's precisely why I say he should be our DH... Thames is cool and all but if you look at his defensive liability compared to Monroe's bat, Monroe wins (Thames arguably has a better bat, but Monroe is better with the glove)... I would sit Marcus for a few games, play Guillen at DH, and go with the younger infield. For one it would help Guillen's leg heal, and two IMO our defense would improve...

September 14th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

That's precisely why I say he should be our DH... Thames is cool and all but if you look at his defensive liability compared to Monroe's bat, Monroe wins (Thames arguably has a better bat, but Monroe is better with the glove)... I would sit Marcus for a few games, play Guillen at DH, and go with the younger infield. For one it would help Guillen's leg heal, and two IMO our defense would improve...

Good points! Honestly, I'm not sure how the young kids would handle the pressure, but I starting to think they couldn't swing the bat any worse then our other players on the team have......

Tim

September 14th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]