View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 3:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Maroth left off playoff roster 
RIP Killer

Post Maroth left off playoff roster
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

I think it's bullcrap. You give the guy his due. Leyland let turds like Miller, Durbin, and Tata stay on the roster, who haven't help the team much at all, yet he leaves off Maroth, who's been through the hardest times as a Tiger.

Discuss.

BTW - anyone see the pics from the playoff birth celebration? Everyone had champagne, expect Bondo who had a bud light LOL.

Last edited by conversion02 on September 27th, 2006, 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 27th, 2006, 10:03 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Too bad. He was lights out before he was hurt. I feel for him, not being able to be participate in this season more, especially after the 20 loss season.

September 27th, 2006, 10:08 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Maroth left off playoff roster
conversion02 wrote:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060927&content_id=1685503&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I think it's bullcrap. You give the guy his due. Leyland let turds like Miller, Durbin, and Tata stay on the roster, who haven't help the team much at all, yet he leaves off Maroth, who's been through the hardest times as a Tiger.

Discuss.

BTW - anyone see the pics from the playoff birth celebration? Everyone had champagne, expect Bondo who had a bud light LOL.

There were actually a few people drinking Bud Light.. I think it was JL's request... He said he hates Champagne and would rather have a beer!...

As for Maroth... IDK... JL more or less says it's for health reasons. Maroth was supposed to have a start in the NY series, but the last time he pitched in relief his elbow was sore the next day... In that light, I agree with it...

September 28th, 2006, 12:52 am
RIP Killer

I just think that guys like Tata and Durbin will never get a real shot unless we're getting blown out or we're blowing another team out...so why not keep Maroth in and show him a little respect? I don't know, Leyland got this team to the playoffs, which nobody ever thought was possible...and a potential best record in the league (F the Yanks!...4 games left), he's got to know what he's doing.

Does this mean Maroth doesn't get a ring if they won the WS?

September 28th, 2006, 1:32 am
I just think that guys like Tata and Durbin will never get a real shot unless we're getting blown out or we're blowing another team out...so why not keep Maroth in and show him a little respect? I don't know, Leyland got this team to the playoffs, which nobody ever thought was possible...and a potential best record in the league (F the Yanks!...4 games left), he's got to know what he's doing.

I'm pretty sure he still gets a ring... I believe there is a certain number of games a player has to be on a roster to get a ring... I don't think they have to be on the official playoff roster.

I hear you on the Tata and Durbin front, but if JL is refusing to play Maroth for health reasons, I would rather have someone that has a chance to play, even if it is small, than waste a roster spot on what would amount more or less to a figurehead position...

That said... I think Maroth could be of value out of the bullpen... We can't change the roster after the first round can we? What if someone gets injured? If Maroth's arm feels better in 2 weeks IMO it would be a shame to keep him out, but like I said... If it really is health, and if MM had no shot of playing do to fear of what might happen to his elbow, than I agree with the decision.

September 28th, 2006, 2:01 am
Site Admin

He was on 1270 am right after it was announced...I felt really really bad for him. He was soooo upset...he didn't know what to say...it was as if someone kicked him square in the stomach.

September 28th, 2006, 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

CO2,

Unless you heard something that I have not, Tata or Durbin are not on the 25 man postseason roster either. The projected pitchers to make it break down like this:

Starting pitchers (4): LH Kenny Rogers, RH Justin Verlander, RH Jeremy Bonderman, LH Nate Robertson.

Relief pitchers (7): LH Wil Ledezma, RH Jason Grilli, LH Jamie Walker, RH Joel Zumaya, RH Fernando Rodney, RH Todd Jones; LH Andrew Miller or RH Zach Miner.

Leyland has said he is only keeping 11 pitchers for the ALDS. So whose spot would Maroth take? Looking at it, I would only consider him for the last spot over Miller or Miner, but both of those guys don't have a lingering elbow injury to worry about. I'm sure it was a difficult decision for JL to make, but the right one, IMO.

Tim

September 28th, 2006, 9:28 am
Div 1 - Starter

conversion02 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he still gets a ring... I believe there is a certain number of games a player has to be on a roster to get a ring... I don't think they have to be on the official playoff roster.

Remember how the BoSox presented Nomar with a ring even though his trade just before the deadline meant he was a Dodger for 1/3 of the season. The LAST third. Nonetheless, he was still in.

I feel badly for Maroth, too, but them's the breaks, and he happened to get a bad one again. I couldn't possibly question JL's decision here, not after seeing his magic with this team over and over again.

BEST. Tigers. Signing. Ever.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

September 28th, 2006, 1:18 pm
He was on 1270 am right after it was announced...I felt really really bad for him. He was soooo upset...he didn't know what to say...it was as if someone kicked him square in the stomach.

I caught that too Alpha... He was noticably shaken in his voice... You could tell he was extremely distraught even though he said he wouldn't comment on the issue. I hope he realizes the rationality in the decision in the coming weeks and hopefully it works out for the best.

blueblood1 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
conversion02 wrote:

Remember how the BoSox presented Nomar with a ring even though his trade just before the deadline meant he was a Dodger for 1/3 of the season. The LAST third. Nonetheless, he was still in.

I feel badly for Maroth, too, but them's the breaks, and he happened to get a bad one again. I couldn't possibly question JL's decision here, not after seeing his magic with this team over and over again.

BEST. Tigers. Signing. Ever.

BB.. There have been many "controversial" rings handed out and that is what I based my comments on. Nomar is definitely one of them.

On a side note... Was JL the best signing ever, or was Dombrowski??? I only say that because DD built this team, and restocked the farm system under MUCH scrutiny. He's done a damn good job... And signing JL was part of the job he's done. I agree with EVERY manager decision DD has made... He gave Gardner a try (estabblished guy that's "been there") and it didn't work out. IMO he dumped that campaign at an appropriate time... And I also like his handling of AT... Tram doesn't seem cut out for management.. Too nice... but DD gave him an honest to goodness shot. Certainly JL was the most influential decision made, and has had the greatest short-term impact, but kudos to Illitch for having the grapes to go out and get DD!!!

Look at Illitch's teams and look at the Lions (owned by the Fords). Both of Illitch's teams have sound staffing from top to bottom... Even Dave Lewis, who was arguably a terrible coach, was a solid guy, given a shot (and rightfully so) and upon doing a less than satisfactory job, asked to move on in a professional manner. There is no drama... There's little controversey... They are professional BUSINESS related decisions... Contrast that with Marty, Bobby Ross, Mooch, and now Marinelli... :roll: Success starts at the top folks... You can have the greatest looking puppet in the world but if the guy pulling the strings is a jackass it's going to be nothing but a tangled mess in the end...

September 28th, 2006, 2:16 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I see your point about Dave Dombrowski, wjb. I have also been amazed at the job he has done as GM.

I guess I give the Leyland signing more credit because it was not exactly highly-lauded by the national media. Perhaps a way to cut this credit evenly would be to say this:

Jimmy Leyland: Best. Tigers. Signing. Ever.
Dave Dombrowski: Guy who made the best tigers signing ever.

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

September 28th, 2006, 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]