View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Carlos Gullien 
NFL Team Captain

Post Carlos Gullien
I just read on Pro Sports Daily that Carlos signed a 3 year 35 mil contract with the Seattle Mariners. How could Dombrowski let this happen? Carlos has been the MVP of this team for the last couple of years. Maybe he did not like playing 1st base. ARod is available should we pursue him. If not who replaces Carlos at short?

January 28th, 2007, 3:17 pm
3rd Round Selection

Post Re: Carlos Gullien
jomo269 wrote:
I just read on Pro Sports Daily that Carlos signed a 3 year 35 mil contract with the Seattle Mariners. How could Dombrowski let this happen? Carlos has been the MVP of this team for the last couple of years. Maybe he did not like playing 1st base. ARod is available should we pursue him. If not who replaces Carlos at short?

Umm...what was the date on that story? Guillen wasn't even up for free agency this year. The Mariners are the team we aquired him from...your looking at a very old news story I believe.

January 28th, 2007, 4:36 pm
NFL Team Captain

Rob, I hope your right. I was just commenting about the storyI read on the Pro Sports Daily web site. They even talked about who would replace him. If you can find something to confirm this is just bull@#$%. please post a link.

January 28th, 2007, 4:57 pm
Veteran General Manager

Quote:
Lynn Henning: Burning Questions

Spring training '08 promises to be intriguing

Advertisement
Get free headlines by e-mail
NEW! Get text alerts on your cell phone

David Guralnick / The Detroit News

The Tigers might try hard to extend the contracts of catcher Pudge Rodriguez and shortstop Carlos Guillen, as there are no sure-fire successors waiting in the wings. See full image

Related Articles and Links

* Forever young

* Printer friendly version
* Comment on this story
* Send this story to a friend
* Get Home Delivery

Burning questions as the Tigers trade their TigerFest spikes for snowshoes

Q. This year's Tigers spring-training roster appears all but set. Is this short-term stability, or a preview of things to come?

A. Don't assume set rosters are any more stable than 25-man teams that have their share of positions up for grabs. Fast-forward 12 months and the Tigers could be looking at one of their more volatile spring camps in memory.

They could arrive in Florida in February 2008 with all sorts of upheaval on tap, most of it welcomed by the manager and front office. Cameron Maybin could come to spring training with a chance to become Detroit's new starting center fielder. Curtis Granderson could, in turn, be on the verge of a move to left field. Left-hander Andrew Miller might be vying for a starter's role, perhaps as a replacement for Kenny Rogers, whose contract is up after this season. And Joel Zumaya and Fernando Rodney might be duking it out to see who replaces Todd Jones as closer.

Jeff Larish could get a look as the team's new left-handed hitting first baseman. Omar Infante and Tony Giarratano might well be in a dogfight to see who replaces shortstop Carlos Guillen, who signed a three-year, $35 million deal with his old team in Seattle (OK, we're tossing out crazy scenarios here).

Expect a few changes down the road. And don't assume that having so many unsettled positions in 2008, as could be the case, is necessarily bad. The Tigers are on the verge of changing their cast in dramatic ways. The question is whether the replacement talent is solid, and in the case of Maybin, Miller, etc., the answer likely is to be a loud yes.

Q. Does Miller -- or Maybin -- have a shot at making the team in 2007?

A. You could probably move Miller into the rotation this year much as the Tigers did with Jeremy Bonderman in 2003. The difference is that Detroit desperately needed Bonderman four years ago when he pitched so impressively during spring training. Miller could look like Sandy Koufax in Florida and still have zero chance of pitching in Detroit, at least in April. He will be wise to work a full season in the minors, as Detroit has plenty of serviceable arms for the 25-man roster.

As for Maybin, remember that he is 19 years old. Maybin is super-talented, but not so talented that he can afford to play anywhere but at Class A and Double-A during a critical developmental year for a hitter who still has plenty to learn.

Q. Are the Tigers planning on signing Pudge Rodriguez to a new 10-year contract, given that it looks as if it could be that long before they develop a catcher?

A. It's a little early in the year for smart alecks, but the point is appreciated. The Tigers realize Rodriguez is 35 and suddenly is in the fourth year of his contract. They can pick up his 2008 option for a cool $13 million -- and that might be their best option.

The Tigers have nobody in the system who has a realistic shot at succeeding Rodriguez a year from now, or two or three years from now, based on a scan of the farm teams. Vance Wilson is a backup, which is what minor league prospect Chris Robinson would have been if the Tigers had not traded him to the Cubs last August for (gulp) Neifi Perez.

Q. Speaking of whom, was it a surprise that manager Jim Leyland acknowledged Perez was basically awful during his two months with the Tigers?

A. No. Simple credibility mandated that Leyland admit to a mistake, and it's clear that Leyland pushed for the Perez trade. What hasn't been explained is why Leyland thought Perez was any answer to his problems after Placido Polanco was injured. Leyland managed Perez in Colorado in 1999, and Perez was pretty good -- back then (.280 batting average and 193 hits). But he had been just a .255 hitter in the four-and-a-half seasons before arriving in Detroit.

Q. So, let's get back to catching: Who becomes Detroit's next one?

A. Somewhere out there in some other organization is a catcher who probably hasn't thought a lot about Detroit as a future career stop. But, whoever he is should begin paying attention to last year's American League champions. They will be his new employers no later than the winter of 2008-09.

Quote:
Omar Infante and Tony Giarratano might well be in a dogfight to see who replaces shortstop Carlos Guillen, who signed a three-year, $35 million deal with his old team in Seattle (OK, we're tossing out crazy scenarios here).

IT'S A SCENARIO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 28th, 2007, 5:47 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Thanks for clearing that up Billy. I saw the same article and was going to respond to dispel this rumor. There is no way we let Guillen get away from us. I'm sure he will get an extension signed before he even hits the open market. Dombrowski will make this happen......

Tim

January 29th, 2007, 10:01 am
NFL Team Captain

I just noticed that comment about crazy scenarios. Thatnks for setting me straight. I was freaking for alittle while :lol:

January 29th, 2007, 2:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]