View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Rogers goes on the DL 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Rogers goes on the DL
Quote:
Tigers' Kenny Rogers goes on disabled list

Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- It will be Chad Durbin in the starting rotation and Kenny Rogers on the 15-day disabled list for the start of the season.

The Tigers announced Thursday that Rogers has gone on the DL, retroactive to March 25, because of a "fatigued arm." With Durbin now in the rotation, Bobby Seay has been recalled to replace him in the bullpen -- thus giving the Tigers that second left-handed relief pitcher, after all.

In keeping with baseball's new medical regulations, general manager Dave Dombrowski said he could not disclose the specific area of concern in Rogers' arm.

"We're hopeful it won't be a long-term thing," he said. "We don't think it is, but I'm not saying it isn't. But he might only miss a start. We're just not sure at this point."

"Kenny is undergoing additional tests and we may know more, no later than (Friday).

"He had the flu for three or four days, and his whole body was achy at that point, like you normally have with the flu. But after that, his arm continued to feel heavy."

As for Durbin going into the rotation, Dombrowski said, "We thought, with the way he's being throwing the ball, that he gives us the best opportunity to win.

"It does allow us to have a second left-hander in the bullpen, which probably becomes more important when you don't have as many left-handed starters."

Without missing a start, Rogers was 17-8 with a 3.84 ERA last season for the Tigers. He won all three playoff starts, not allowing a run in 23 innings.

At 42, he's in the second year of a two-year, $16 million contract.

Durbin, 29, won a roster spot this spring. He was signed by the Tigers as a free agent in November 2005. He has spent most of his career in the minors.

In 2006, he went 11-8 at Triple-A Toledo with a 3.11 ERA in 28 starts. He pitched in three games with the Tigers, allowing six hits and one earned run in six innings.

And so it starts.........

Let's hope this isn't a sign of things to come this season. Hopefully it's minor and he only misses one or two starts.

I hope Durbin excels in his 2nd audition in the majors. Go tigers!

Tim

March 29th, 2007, 1:05 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

At his age its scary!

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

March 29th, 2007, 4:04 pm
Hall of Fame Player

I'm not overly worried about Rogers. He is a throw back to another era. This may slow him down and delay his season,. But, it will not stop him. He will be back shortly. And even if he isn't, the Tigers have the horses they can call up to fill in.

March 29th, 2007, 5:46 pm
I'm not overly worried about Rogers. He is a throw back to another era. This may slow him down and delay his season,. But, it will not stop him. He will be back shortly. And even if he isn't, the Tigers have the horses they can call up to fill in.

I'm almost glad... I want to keep him slow at the beginning of the year... Because hopefully... It's going to be a looonnngggg year :idea: ...

March 29th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Rumors that this could be a blood clot, that would be trouble and he would be out a long time.

The phone rings at 3AM in the White House, McCain replies call me at 9:30

March 30th, 2007, 7:22 am
NFL Team Captain

Rogers had surgery today to remove a blood clot from his shoulder. The word is that he will not be available until mid July.

I guess it is time to see what kind of heart our pitching staff has. I'm voting that they are still the best staff in baseball.

March 30th, 2007, 6:31 pm
Hall of Fame Player

Looks Like Minor will get some more Major League time this year. I think he did well last year.

March 30th, 2007, 7:19 pm
Looks Like Minor will get some more Major League time this year. I think he did well last year.

He kinda scares me... He did well when he came up, but the scouting report got out on him in a hurry and he played like crap..

March 30th, 2007, 8:05 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

BillySims wrote:

He kinda scares me... He did well when he came up, but the scouting report got out on him in a hurry and he played like crap..

I agree, he went downhill fast...

March 30th, 2007, 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:

I agree, he went downhill fast...

It's all a part of the maturation process.

March 31st, 2007, 12:41 am
Varsity 1st Team

In the paper they were suggesting that Bobby Seay was taking Rogers' roster spot and that Durbin will fill in in the rotation.

March 31st, 2007, 12:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]