View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 11:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Bye Bye Bobby 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Bye Bye Bobby
http://www.freep.com/sports/tigers/tigers25e_20050325.htm

Good riddance.

March 25th, 2005, 9:57 am
Profile WWW
League MVP

Looking at the roster I dont really understand this move, especially with Sanchez gone.. This would only happen if they keep both Jason Smith and Ramon Martinez as utility infielders and keep 2 of Marcus Thames, Nook Logan or Dean Palmer. Palmer hurt himself on a check swing last week, the guy is getting some hits but c'mon its over. Bobby still brings a decent OBP to the table, is left handed, plays solid defense with a good arm. He has had his best seasons w/ big bats near him in the lineup and is a guy who I think would benefit from Ordonez being around. Dont really know why they need Smith bc Inge is super versatile and Young can play first and 3rd on occasion. Smith is a lefty but Higgy is the better hitter still. I like Thames and Logan but neither is a lefty. Looks like martinez is a lock to make it. I would think they find a way to keep his Left handed experienced bat around unless Higgy really wants out.

March 27th, 2005, 10:24 pm

He can't even bat 200 during spring training. I'm sorry, but eating his contract is well worth it, especially considering the quality of backup infielders that we have, Logan, Wise, Thames. If Higgy wasn't making all that money, he would not be an issue at all.

March 27th, 2005, 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

What a friggin mistake that was. Detroit had nearly 20 million tied up in Higgy and Palmer the last few seasons.

March 27th, 2005, 11:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

yeah dz. You never know. Dean might be back. :D . I wouldn't be shocked. I just hope maggs isn't the next FA bust. He hasn't be spectatular in spring training.

March 28th, 2005, 9:12 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

yeah dz. You never know. Dean might be back. :D . I wouldn't be shocked. I just hope maggs isn't the next FA bust. He hasn't be spectatular in spring training.

Yeah, I knew Dean Palmer is still around, but he won't be getting the 10 mil a year that he had previsouly been getting. Also, his story is much different than Higgys so we need to hate on Higgy more.

laughing4.gif

March 28th, 2005, 10:36 am
Profile YIM WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I know getting rid off Higgy will give us more money, but I was proud of our depth in OF and I wanted to keep it Sanchez being waived doesnt bother me but Higgy does because we would have excelent depth at OF...

Michael Huff for DROY

March 28th, 2005, 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

I know getting rid off Higgy will give us more money,

The money is not a factor because we have to pay wether he plays or not. Baseball has guarenteed contracts. The problem with Higgy is that he is taking up a roster spot and that would hold our prospects back.

March 28th, 2005, 12:06 pm
Profile YIM WWW

we would have excelent depth at OF...

IMO, we will have better depth if higgy leaves.

March 28th, 2005, 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
League MVP

We dont have any left handed bats off the bench. Higgy is that plus his OBP is still near the tops of any of the guys on our team. Tigers pretty much announced today that Palmer wont make it. Unless they go to a 12 man rotation, I dont agree w/ Higgy not making it.

March 28th, 2005, 6:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]