View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Good Bye Maroth 
Heisman Winner

Post Good Bye Maroth
espn.com wrote:
The St. Louis Cardinals have acquired left-handed pitcher Mike Maroth from the Detroit Tigers, ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney reports.

Maroth

It is not yet known what the Tigers are getting in return for Maroth, who is 5-2 in 13 starts with a 5.06 ERA this season.

Maroth has a career 50-62 record and 4.81 ERA over six major-league seasons, all with the Tigers.

The Cardinals' starting rotation has been devastated by injuries. Ace Chris Carpenter is rehabbing from surgery in May to remove bone spurs from his elbow and Mark Mulder is recovering from rotator cuff surgery in September. And Braden Looper went on the 15-day disabled list on Monday with a shoulder strain.

With so many pitchers out, the Cardinals have been forced to rely on former relievers, including Anthony Reyes and Kip Wells, who are a combined 2-19.

Earlier this week, St. Louis signed Tomo Ohka, who was designated for assignment earlier this month by the Blue Jays, to a minor league contract.

I hope they got some bull pen help, I liked Maroth but I'm not too upset to see him go.

June 22nd, 2007, 1:54 pm
Site Admin

June 22nd, 2007, 1:58 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

I am sad to see him go. That was a good guy - a real class act during the down years.

June 22nd, 2007, 1:59 pm
Site Admin

Either way if they can get some value in the way of relievers or something I will take it. Starting pitching is not our problem and Maroth is not apart of the future.

June 22nd, 2007, 3:55 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

STL was hurting BAD for pitchers...the Tigers probably got a hell of a deal for Maroth, who doesn't have long left on his contract, correct?

I have always liked Maroth, but he's always been a little streaky and could have been much better.

They had the room to move him with Miller being called up and Rogers returning. They need to bump Durbin to reliever duty and add to their reliever core.

June 22nd, 2007, 4:17 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Unfortunately, the Tigers didn't get anything more than a player to be named later, so no bullpen help for now.

From the Ledezma trade they got a pitcher in McBride that is about the same skillwise as Ledezma and still has a minor league option, so that helps.

Eulogio De La Cruz was called up last week from triple A for some bullpen help and has done well in his 3 games pitched. He has yet to allow a run.

Durbin should help our bullpen as well.

I'm excited that Andrew Miller is now permanently in the rotation because this kid is special.

Also, Rogers allowed 2 hits in 6 innings against the Braves after having not pitched in 3 months! Amazing. Looks like things are coming around....

Tim

June 23rd, 2007, 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]