View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 5:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Celtics acquire Garnett... 
Post Celtics acquire Garnett...
Quote:
Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

"They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

July 30th, 2007, 5:38 pm
National Champion

Post Re: Celtics acquire Garnett...
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Quote:
Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told The Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

"They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

In the end he got moved for spare parts. We could have given them that.

July 30th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Site Admin

Looks like some more competition for the stones...

July 31st, 2007, 10:10 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

There are now 3 players on the Celtics whose average contract is $20 million per season in Allen, Pierce, and Garnett. This is unheard of! They will definitely be paying the luxury tax and will have trouble filling out the rest of the roster. Thier bench will be a bunch of NBDL players.

Tim

July 31st, 2007, 11:09 am
National Champion

There are now 3 players on the Celtics whose average contract is $20 million per season in Allen, Pierce, and Garnett. This is unheard of! They will definitely be paying the luxury tax and will have trouble filling out the rest of the roster. Thier bench will be a bunch of NBDL players.

To go further, those are not even complementary players. For the most part they are jump shooters. They will need someone to break down the defense.

July 31st, 2007, 11:41 am

Well, Pierce can definitely break down a defense and Garnett has great low post game, but they still don't have a true PG. I don't see enough shots to go around for this group.

Tim

July 31st, 2007, 12:21 pm
Site Admin

I agree Tad...they have KG underneath or anywhere...Ray from the outside...and Paul who can cut it up. I think if they find a couple decent warm bodies they have a pretty darn tough team.

July 31st, 2007, 1:50 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

All those guys have a lot of miles and the game gets quicker each year. Garnett settles for jumpers a lot and Pierce isn't as quick as he used to be. They'll make the playoffs even if Allen goes down to injury, but I doubt they will be a power. None of those guys is known for defense.

July 31st, 2007, 2:05 pm
RIP Killer

Cleveland won the Eastern Conf. with one player, don't discount the Celtics now with three. BTW - Garnett has been 1st or 2nd team defense since the turn of the century, he is a decent defender.

July 31st, 2007, 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Cleveland won the Eastern Conf. with one player, don't discount the Celtics now with three. BTW - Garnett has been 1st or 2nd team defense since the turn of the century, he is a decent defender.

You are right. I did not know that.

Still, I am not so sure that they will be a great team. They are all great statistical performers on bad teams. I am not sure that putting them together will result in a great offensive unit, but it will surely be interesting to watch.

August 1st, 2007, 5:30 am
RIP Killer

The turds on ESPN are saying that the championship is now the Celtics' for the taking.

lol

While I don't discount the fact they'll be much better, how many teams go from bottom 5 to the top 5 in the span of one year?

August 1st, 2007, 8:08 am

Well, CO2, if anyone can do it I think the Celtics can. Why? Because they play in the Eastern Conference. And all 3 players have never had as much talent around them as they have w/ all 3 aboard on that team.

With that said, that top 5 statement can go up in flames real quick if their are any significant injuries to any of those 3 player or if they don't shore up their PG position or depth on the bench.

Tim

August 1st, 2007, 9:08 am
Site Admin

Part of me is excited to see the Celtics be good. Ainge certainly just leap frogged Isiah though...zeek has got to be pissed :lol:

Think about what was said with who they played with...

Pierce had - Antoine Walker
Garnett who - Wally Szibeak lol
Ray Allen - Rashard Lewis

Seriously...these guys had NObody.

We will see if they mesh but IMO they just became a top 4 team. If they can find a servicable point guard on the cheap.

Troy Hudson, Garnetts former PG was just bought out and is a FA. Not great but at least has experience with KG.

Other possibilities - Brevin Knight, Eddie House and Charlie Bell

The Celtics are long overdue to be good again and I am kind of excited. KB in Celt green is gonna be cool...maybe not for the Pistons though :shock:

August 1st, 2007, 9:37 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

The turds on ESPN are saying that the championship is now the Celtics' for the taking.

lol

While I don't discount the fact they'll be much better, how many teams go from bottom 5 to the top 5 in the span of one year?

I heard that the odds for the Celtic to win the NBA Championship in Vegas went from 100-1 before the trade to 5-2 now......

August 1st, 2007, 10:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]