View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 10:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Strategies for beating the Falcons 
Water Boy

Post Strategies for beating the Falcons
I assume you guys will use Boss Bailey to spy on Vick. But I think the key to your success will be if guys like Big Daddy and Rogers can get pressure up the middle on Vick. The Cards did a relatively good job because guys like Darnell Dockett could get pressure on him. Kris Jenkins, Brentson Buckner, and Kindal Moorehead didn't have much success this past week.

I assume Roy Williams will be the go-to target on offense. But if the Falcons put pressure on Harrington, I don't think he yet has the savvy and poise yet to really buckle down, although he's making strides. I saw in the Eagles game, that Williams really only was most effective on slants, and I think with our zone coverage we should be able to keep him from breaking too many big gains.

If you guys can't get a running game started, you're sitting ducks. Relish your 2-1 record, cuz it's not going to last much longer. :P

October 4th, 2004, 12:13 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Pressure Vick? We dont need to pressure him, The Lions should just let him throw, Because he is haveing some problems hitting anyone with a pass. Being close to Blacksburg I get the plessure of reading about Vick on a daily bases. The guy is the best athlete on the field, But he not the best QB. He cant read covreges, and he has problems hitting the hot routes, But he can run and he does that well. Falcons Running game worrys me a lot more than the passing. Dunn and Duckett look good, But Duckett is not getting the carrys I thought he would.

On offense we need to stay away from Patrick Kerney the guy is a beast. Keith Brooking and Kevin Mathis are also playing good football. I hate to say it but without a running game the lions will be in a lot of trouble. Bryson I feel will be the guy who steps up and has the big game we need from him. Pinner Iam still not sold on him yet.

October 4th, 2004, 9:10 am
Site Admin

I agree...I think presuring Vick makes him more dangerous...but you also cannot give him all day to throw...it is a bit of a pickel :?

October 4th, 2004, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Mooch and the Lions have 2 weeks to prepare for Vick and the Falcons so we can see how good he is able to game plan. I would rather see Vick in the pocket than running around. It will be the second tough test for the Lions and they need to do much better than they did against the Eagles - who presented a much tougher matchup problem for the Lions than the Falcons will. The Lions have plenty of speed at LB which may help them contain Vick if he scrambles. The running game looks bad so far, it does need to improve...

October 4th, 2004, 2:20 pm
Profile WWW

Speed at LB is a great point pablo. We do have a fast set of LBs.

The bye week will be a big help

October 4th, 2004, 3:21 pm
Site Admin

U cannot forget about our high quality h2o!!!

October 4th, 2004, 3:26 pm
Profile WWW
All State

the lb speed point is good and remember the fact that the team could be bolstered by the return of their leader - dr. dre' bly - who could practce as early as friday if everything stays on track. he has been the heart and soul of the lions the past year on defense, if not the whole team.

October 4th, 2004, 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Water Boy

It's obvious none of you saw the Falcons-Panthers game this week. The Panthers had the same strategy, in containing Vick and forcing him to win with his arm. And despite average numbers this past week, Vick played very well, and was very sharp in the pocket and accuracy. Despite "only" a 56% completion% vs. Carolina, most of Vick's passes were accurate and good, and his 8 incompletions were mostly due to dropped passes rather than poor throws.

The Panthers too had 2 weeks to prepare for the Falcons and they failed, and I don't think anyone would argue that the Lions defense is stronger or tougher than theirs, or even better coached.

Each week, Vick has looked much different and he has done a very good job correcting mistakes from week to week. Considering he didn't make many mistakes last week, you guys are in a world of hurt.

October 5th, 2004, 2:06 am
Profile WWW

you might want to stop patting Vick on the back and give your defense and the running game credit for being 4-0.
Pudge you also might want to thank the NFL for making your first four games of high powered teams.

week 1 San Fran at 0-4 will be lucky to win a game this season
week2 St louis 2-2 the only team the falcons have played that are .500
week 3 Arizona 1-3 but they will win 2 more games. (SF 2 more games)
week 4 Carolinia 1-2 they are not the same team from last year. they are only avg 95 yards rushing a game way down from last year.
and then your mighty falcons will play the 2-1 lions who have only won one road game in three years.
You Dirty Birds are also avg 179 yards rushing a game ( a stat I wish the lions had)
So pudge give your self a hand for coming and braging about the great throwing ablity of Vick who the only resaon he is winning is Defense and ball control. Not his great passing ablity. I

October 5th, 2004, 8:58 am
Site Admin

Many many times pudge unexpected results occur...it's cool you support your team...they are looking very good and Vick looks sick...but no team is unbeatable and that's what makes the NFL fun..."any given Sunday" my friend.

October 5th, 2004, 1:38 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Post Re: Strategies for beating the Falcons
Pudge wrote:
I assume you guys will use Boss Bailey to spy on Vick. But I think the key to your success will be if guys like Big Daddy and Rogers can get pressure up the middle on Vick.

Boss Bailey is out of the year...

Pudge wrote:
The Cards did a relatively good job because guys like Darnell Dockett could get pressure on him. Kris Jenkins, Brentson Buckner, and Kindal Moorehead didn't have much success this past week.

I expect to see some 5 man fronts by the Lions. That is how my (yes, my)Cardinals held Vick and contained him throughout the game. We should have beat you guys, if we didn't kill ourselves with fumbles (stupid Karl Williams).

Pudge wrote:
If you guys can't get a running game started, you're sitting ducks. Relish your 2-1 record, cuz it's not going to last much longer. :P

We haven't got our running game started all year, and we are 2-1. Don't see how we would be sitting ducks...

October 6th, 2004, 11:07 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

the lb speed point is good and remember the fact that the team could be bolstered by the return of their leader - dr. dre' bly - who could practce as early as friday if everything stays on track. he has been the heart and soul of the lions the past year on defense, if not the whole team.

If only we had Bly last week, I think we could have kept it close. Bly wouldn't have been burnt as badly as Bryant was on those deep passes.

I actually think that Rogers has been a big part of this defense, almost as big as Bly.

October 6th, 2004, 11:09 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Boss Bailey is not out for the year. He should return sometime in November.

October 9th, 2004, 8:50 am
RIP Killer

Yes, let's hope Boss comes back and the Lions are in the playoff chase...

October 10th, 2004, 12:20 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Even if Boss comes back, it won't be until the last few weeks of the season, and I doubt that they would rush him back. I don't think he will come back this season, and the Lions really haven't given a true timetable on his return. He will only come back if we are in playoff contention.

October 10th, 2004, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]