View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Maybin called up! 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Maybin called up!
Quote:
In surprise move, Tigers call up top prospect Maybin
Monroe designated for assignment; Infante sent to Triple-A Toledo
August 17, 2007

By JON PAUL MOROSI and JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITERS

A little over one week ago, the Tigers promoted top prospect Cameron Maybin to Double-A Erie. At the time, club president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said Maybin would not be a candidate for a September call-up.

But that was before Maybin crushed pitching at Double-A, to the tune of a .400 average and four home runs in six games. Now, the club has decided to call Maybin up to the big leagues – on the day of a two-part roster shakeup.

The club designated outfielder Craig Monroe for assignment, and optioned utilityman Omar Infante to Triple-A Toledo, and replaced them with Maybin and infielder Ramon Santiago, respectively.

Monroe led the Tigers with 28 home runs last year – and hit five more in the postseason – but has slumped this season, with a .222 batting average and 11 home runs in 99 games.

The club has 10 days to trade, release, or send Monroe to the minor leagues. Monroe cleared trade waivers earlier this month, so he can be dealt to any of the 29 other big-league clubs.

Maybin, 20, has already arrived in New York, and will be uniform at Yankee Stadium tonight.

“It’s the stage that he wants to start on,” said Bob Baratta, one of his representatives. “It doesn’t get any bigger than that.

“He’s not starting at Tropicana Field. He’s starting at Yankee Stadium.”

Maybin, a brilliant centerfielder, has batted .316 with 14 home runs and 53 RBIs this year, during stops at Erie, Class A Lakeland, and a rehabilitation assignment in the Gulf Coast League.

Wow, this is a huge surprise, but Cameron has been tearing it up in Double A ball and Jair Jurrjens showed that he could handle the promotion from Double A straight to the bigs 2 nights ago. I am excited for Maybin abd can't wait to see him perform.

As for Monroe, it doesn't surprise me at all. His head is all messed up, but he was always professional. Although, I thought Infante was doing a great job, so that move surprised me.

Tim

August 17th, 2007, 12:46 pm
Nice... I wish we would have called him up when Thames was hurt, but I guess Maybin was hurt during that same spell. Allegedly he's been hitting .400 with 3 HRs since he's been back... I'm pretty excited to see him play, I just wish he was playing at home...

August 17th, 2007, 1:27 pm
Varsity 1st Team

I am excited about Maybin, but its a shame about Monroe. He has had a rough year and he was a class act.

August 18th, 2007, 11:00 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

It looked to me like they called Maybin up too soon. Yesterday, he went 0-4 with two strikeouts. Hopefully, he was just nervous or overly excited and will settle down soon.

August 18th, 2007, 11:37 am
It looked to me like they called Maybin up too soon. Yesterday, he went 0-4 with two strikeouts. Hopefully, he was just nervous or overly excited and will settle down soon.

IMO it was a mistake to call him up and ask him to play in NY. That's one of the hardest stages to play in, and the fans are notoriously harsh to the opposing team. He looked like a deer in the headlights, but if it is possible to be impressed by an 0-4 performance, I am. That first cut he took on the first pitch was impressive. I would have liked to have seen him play for the first time here at home, but I'm glad I got a brief look at this kid last night. I hope he gets more time, and I hope we get to see him play at home too...

August 18th, 2007, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

2-3 with a HR...can't beat that against 'The Rocket'

August 18th, 2007, 8:05 pm
2-3 with a HR...can't beat that against 'The Rocket'

Definitely... I like his attitude too... Before his first game he said "Pettit today, the Rocket tomorrow, all at Yankees Stadium, it doesn't get any better than that..." Great way to look at it... JL said he'll def. be playing at home, just not against the nasty pitchers. Good to hear!... I know I'll be there watching him.

August 19th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

That was a pretty impressive HR to straightaway centerfield. That ball just kept carrying. The single he got also impressed me because it was a hit and run situation. The kid also has some major wheels.

One negative I ccan see is his defense, but I'm sure that will improve. He has never played leftfield before, only center. But overall, I'm impressed...

Tim

August 19th, 2007, 5:39 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I got to see Maybin a few times down here in Florida.. he was injured for a couple weeks and just got off the DL.. I seen him during Spring training when he killed a ball to straight center and he can throw a ball from center to the home plate without any problem.. They had a story on PTI on the 20th about if the Rocket hit Maybin on purpose! after getting a hit then the HR, it would not surprise me..He is going to be around for a long time...

August 21st, 2007, 10:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]