View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 10:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 no chances left 
Heisman Winner

Post no chances left
Tigers have played themselves out of the post season this year. They played very well except a month and a half run in August which they couldn't fully recover from. So I'm going to look to next season. What do the Tigers need to do to make the post season next year? I feel they have to replace Brandon Inge no matter what. Casey will probably leave with Guillen taking over first and santiago playing SS. Other than that I think they need some bullpen help and then some luck staying healthy. Am I missing anything or does anyone else think they need more help than that or am I completely off base?

September 20th, 2007, 2:15 pm
Bubbles the Lion

i dont know much about baseball but i tend to think that the big diff between this year and last was the strength of the bullpen

the pitchers had better outings last year and when they did not the bullpen backed them up, this year not the case

the offense seemed strong but the pitching was not quite the same

September 20th, 2007, 2:35 pm
RIP Killer

Rogers, Bondo, Robertson, Zumaya, Rodney, Sheff, Polanco even. Maroth was hurt for awhile too and then we traded him, which needed to be done.

Jurrjens was brought up to start, Miller was forced to come up and start, Bazardo, Byrdek, Mesa all forced to be long relievers...

We've had more injuries than most teams in the league. You're going to lose when you have 4 or more starting pitchers on the DL at any point.

It was a hell of a year for the pen and the injuries they sustained. I'm damn impressed this team won as many games as they did with the condition of our pen most of the year.

September 20th, 2007, 5:33 pm
Heisman Winner

I think rotation will be something like this next year
Ace: Verlander
2:Rogers
3:Miller
4:Jurrjens
5:mystery guy.

I don't think Robertson will be a starter next year and he may or may not even be with the team.

Who should take over that 5th spot?

September 20th, 2007, 5:56 pm
NFL Team Captain

Inge is a possible Gold Glove 3rd baseman. All he needs to do is work on his vision of the ball and become a more consistant hitter. It's been done before by lesser players, IMO. They talked about trading for Pittsburg's shortstop Jack Wilson, he is a possible gold glover but hits less than .250 I beleive. Why mak a swap like that which would leave us without a 3rd baseman?

September 20th, 2007, 6:05 pm
Heisman Winner

and SS trade was before the Santiago was called up. He can field and hit, he's an outstanding prospect. Inge is by the the weakest link on the tigers. Gold glove my rectum, he's made some great play for sure, but I'm also pretty sure that he leads the team in errors although I'm not sure where to look to back it up. I would rather have a decent fielder and with a good bat than a fielder capable of making the highlight play but not the routine play that can't hit.

September 20th, 2007, 6:15 pm
RIP Killer

It's crazy to think how many potential Ws the Tigers blew this year for their pitchers (Maroth (6/13), Rogers (4/9), Verlander (9/30), Bondo (8/28), Robertson (8/28)). Our BP has blown a hell of a lot of games and that's what's killed us.

Plus, how many games did we lose in the 8 or 9th innings? Extra innings? Teams like Cleveland came back and won close games late, the Tigers continually blew games in the end...like the Lions of old. That wasn't an issue last season.

Inge doesn't commit a ton of errors - he's got a .959 fielding %...

Here ya go: a comparison of some of the top fantasy 3rd basemen
Amaris Ramirez - .949
Ryan Zimmerman - .959
Chipper Jones - .953
Miguel Cabrera - .953
David Wright - .953
A-Rod - .963 (this season, lifetime of .977)

It's not like he's a terrible hitter, he doesn't strikeout a ton ( on the team), he makes contact, just doesn't find holes like Mags has this year.

The Tigers have a ton of prospects they can use:
Raburn,
Maybin,
Miller,
Santiago,
Clevlen,
Giarratano

Miller
Miner
Bazardo
Jurrjens
Campusano
Tata
McBride
De La Cruz

I think Miner could actually replace Robertson in the rotation, as they both produce about the same results. I like Robertson, he's probably my favorite Tiger, but he just doesn't produce. He'll look great and then give up a string of hits and ERs. You know it's coming around the 4th or 5th inning, he just blows up. They should just let him pitch 3 innings and then pitch Miner 3 innings lol, then you have normal BP rotation from there. Unfortunately, they'd never do that, but that way you'd get the best from both Nate and Zach.

September 20th, 2007, 6:50 pm
Veteran General Manager

I don't think Robertson will be a starter next year and he may or may not even be with the team.

In your scenario, Does BONDERMAN DIE or something?

September 20th, 2007, 8:45 pm
Heisman Winner

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:

In your scenario, Does BONDERMAN DIE or something?

I guess I missed him... whoops. Well I guess he fills in a nice mystery guy slot. If they can keep that starting 5 I think there bull pen will be much more stable. It lets Miner go to a role a long relief and puts Burdayk, Rodney and Zumaya in there stopper roles and allows us to put Jones out there to close. I know how people don't like Jones because he blows saves but to me it's hard not to blow saves in the majors. He still will end up with about the 3rd or 4th mosts saves in the AL and you can't complain too much about that.

Back to the Inge debate. Maybe I'm making it personnal but I just don't like how the guy plays. Mostly because of his lack luster play since the all star break. And I would be willing to bet that his fielding percentage has taken a hit since then. His heart doesn't seem to be in it once the team started to slump in August.

So what changes would anyone else make? Any free agents that anyone would like to bring in. I like the team as is as a whole other than a few small holes, I just hope they can stay healthy next year. It's really a shame that a team like the tigers will miss the playoffs and a horrible team like the Cubs will make it playing in a weeker NL and the worse division in all of baseball

September 20th, 2007, 9:30 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I'm bummed that the Tigers are not going to make the postseason this year, but I applaud all of them and JL for playing their hearts out and leaving it all on the field. This team deserves a better fate.

As for next season, here goes:

Your crazy if you think Inge is our weakest link and needs to absolutely be traded. That fielding percentage of him is up to date. The man is a no doubt gold glove 3rd baseman. He may miss a few balls, but he gets to some 95% other 3rd baseman cannot and he actually has the most balls fielded among 3rd baseman in most leagues. While I agree he needs to hit better, that is something that can be practiced. Leyland is 100% behind Inge and I tend to trust his insticts on this.

Our bullpen needs to recover some of the magic from last season. I do think they will brings Jones back for one more season because Zumaya is not ready for the closers role just yet. We also need to acquire or develop a consistent left hander or 2 out of the bullpen. I think Rodney will rebound next year.

I think Santiago will become our fulltime SS with Guillen becoming our fulltime 1st baseman. Unless a game changing SS or 1st baseman becomes available in the offseason.

Leftfield is a mystery. I love Thames but don't see him as a fulltime starter out there. I would love to have Maybin play spectacular in training camp and start the year there, but I believe they will not rush to bring him up next year. I really don't see any free agent pickups that will improve this either.

As for starting pitching, i see our lineup as follows:

1) Verlander
2) Rogers
3) Bonderman
4) Jurrjens
5) Robertson

I believe Miller will start the year in double or triple A. This may change if Robertson gets traded, but I think we need his veteran presence. Jurrjens has the looks of staying w/ the big club. Unlike Miller, this kid just doesn't get flustered. I think he has a very bright future.

Tim

September 21st, 2007, 9:14 am
NFL Team Captain

Anybody old enough to remember Gates Brown?

The Gator was a very large man in the twilight of his career, sitting on the bench just waiting for his moment. Down by 1, bottom of the ninth Gates gets the call. Pnch hitting in clutch situations was his job. More often than not Gates not only hit the ball but drove it out of Tiger Stadium.

I don't know if any team can afford a player that is solely a pinch hitter, but in the 60's Gates Brown was an invailable peice of the Tiger offense.

Oh the good old days :)

September 21st, 2007, 11:54 am
Heisman Winner

Ok I had a little time so I started digging back into why I hate Brandon Inge so much.

Inge has a .958 fielding percentage, impressive as that might sound that is only good enough to be 15th overall in the majors...among third basemen only. He has made 18 errors which is good enough to be tied for the most in the entire AL for 3rd basemen. He has a .236 batting average which ranks him at 19th in the majors for 3rd basemen. And to top it all off he has 150 Strike outs which is 26 more than other player at 3rd base and the 8th most overall in the league.

To say that he is a good player and that he just needs a little time in the cage is ludicrous, his batting average over the past several years where all better so he is declining.

2007 so far .236 batting average
2006 .253 batting average
2005 .261 batting average
2004 .287 batting average

By the looks of it Inge will bat an even .200 next year.

It's time to cut tides and get a better 3rd baseman in for the tigers.

September 28th, 2007, 11:24 pm
Ok I had a little time so I started digging back into why I hate Brandon Inge so much.

Inge has a .958 fielding percentage, impressive as that might sound that is only good enough to be 15th overall in the majors...among third basemen only. He has made 18 errors which is good enough to be tied for the most in the entire AL for 3rd basemen. He has a .236 batting average which ranks him at 19th in the majors for 3rd basemen. And to top it all off he has 150 Strike outs which is 26 more than other player at 3rd base and the 8th most overall in the league.

To say that he is a good player and that he just needs a little time in the cage is ludicrous, his batting average over the past several years where all better so he is declining.

2007 so far .236 batting average
2006 .253 batting average
2005 .261 batting average
2004 .287 batting average

By the looks of it Inge will bat an even .200 next year.

It's time to cut tides and get a better 3rd baseman in for the tigers.

Depends who's available in the off-season. I wouldn't go into next year thinking we HAVE to get a new 3rd baseman, but upgrades are always welcome. I see our offseason needs as:

SS (I would move Guillen to firstbase, and I think Leyland will next year)
3rd Base
5th Starting pitcher
Middle reliever

September 29th, 2007, 10:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]