View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 21st, 2014, 4:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Edgar Renteria 
NFL Team Captain

Post Edgar Renteria
ESPN is reporting the SS Edgar Renteria has been traded to the Tigers by the Atlanta Braves for SP Jarii Jurgens and a minor league OF.

What will become of Sean Casey now that Guillen will be moved to 1B?

October 29th, 2007, 6:17 pm
Post Re: Edgar Renteria
jomo269 wrote:
ESPN is reporting the SS Edgar Renteria has been traded to the Tigers by the Atlanta Braves for SP Jarii Jurgens and a minor league OF.

What will become of Sean Casey now that Guillen will be moved to 1B?

From what I heard at the end of last season they told Casey that he would not be offered another contract.

I like the move, but that "minor league OF" was a helluva player... He was our #2 positional prospect, and was supposed to take over for Mags once he's done in RF... He's fast, and he can hit... I'm glad we got Renteria, and we are once again playoff contenders (not that we weren't last season), but we gave up a TON to rent him for a couple of years (said because he's 32 and nearing the end of his career)...

October 29th, 2007, 6:41 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Great pickup!! I'm honestly a lot more sad that we gave up Jurrjens more than Hernandez. Hernandez was rated as our 2nd best position prospect, but we already have Maybin in the minors and Granderson will be our CF for quite a few years. Renteria will help our defense AND offense. He hit over .300 last year and takes walks. Sounds alot like Polanco, and we all know how much he helps our offense. Looks like Dombrowski is selling out to get us back into the playoffs for at least the next 2 seasons. I love the mentality!

Tim

October 30th, 2007, 10:47 am
Great pickup!! I'm honestly a lot more sad that we gave up Jurrjens more than Hernandez. Hernandez was rated as our 2nd best position prospect, but we already have Maybin in the minors and Granderson will be our CF for quite a few years. Renteria will help our defense AND offense. He hit over .300 last year and takes walks. Sounds alot like Polanco, and we all know how much he helps our offense. Looks like Dombrowski is selling out to get us back into the playoffs for at least the next 2 seasons. I love the mentality!

I agree with you to an extent, but one thing that makes me not as excited about getting Renteria as perhaps you are is, the last time he was in the AL (Boston) he had some of the worst #'s of his career.

That said, even his #'s in Boston were still better than Casey's #'s and he's a better SS than Guillen, but we still gave up a ton to get him, IMO.

October 30th, 2007, 1:16 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I agree with you to an extent, but one thing that makes me not as excited about getting Renteria as perhaps you are is, the last time he was in the AL (Boston) he had some of the worst #'s of his career.

That said, even his #'s in Boston were still better than Casey's #'s and he's a better SS than Guillen, but we still gave up a ton to get him, IMO

I agree w/ you, but it was either this or go into the season relying on Ramon Santiago being able to hold up for 162 games or trading for an overrated Jack Wilson at almost the same price as Edgar. Dave Dombrowski has proven to me that he knows what he is doing, and JL signed off on the move. I learned alot in these last 2 seasons to not disagree w/ any move that JL decides on or backs up......

Tim

October 30th, 2007, 1:31 pm
National Champion

I'm not to happy giving up Jurrjens. Look at the staff at the end of the season the only two who were pitching well Were Verlander and Jurrjens. Bonderman scares me. He can't seem to figure it out and be consistant he is too up and down for some one with all that talent. Robertson is a mediocore pitcher at best he had a good season in 06 but reverted back to form in 07 he will hover around .500 for his career. Miller was good after being called up initally and started 4-0 then lost it and was rocked after that. Rogers your not shure about is he healthy enough to be counted on? This along with the addition of maybe another reliever for the Pen should be the main focus for this team.

October 31st, 2007, 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]