View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 4:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Ohio State has a GREAT chance to make it to the Championship 
Heisman Winner

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:
Did you guys watch the game?

I can't tell if MSU is a team with a S*%&load of talent second to non or some bum unranked team... which is is, lol...

I did watch the game and told you that OSU isn't going to have an easy time winning this game... That said, a true #1 should KILL an unranked team at home...

And they pretty much did what they watned all game accept for two costly mistakes. Look at these stats!!!

MSU OSU
1st Downs 9 22
Total Yards 185 422
Passing 126 193
Rushing 59 229
Possession 25:45 34:15

It's not even close! mistakes made this game. Anyone who watched this game saw OSU's domination. The score did not at all reflect the game, not even close...

Don't you get it yet. Stats mean nothing, final score is the only thing that matters they beat an unranked team by 7!! OSU O came up short and gave up two TDs to a Defense that is by far the worse in the big ten.

I love the hate for OSU in this state. You guys can pretty much admit OSU dominated the game had two costly mistakes that made it LOOK close and they are all the sudden not worthy of teh number 1 spot after all the teams before them that have lost to unranked teams worse than MSU. It baffles me. First MSU is a real contender, then after they lose in a game they got dominated in, their talent is then no longer second to none, they are all the sudden scrubs. Mich losses to App State, and everyonet ells me up here that OSU would have def lost to App State because App State is a "power house." Then I don't hear a word of that crap after the Oregon debacle.

It's incredible... why can't people just cheer on the big ten in this state?

I actually live in Ohio, so I get sick of all the man love for OSU. They are way over rated and play a cupcake schedule every year. You can't use the excuse they only play the games on their schedule because they get to make their out of conference schedule.

October 21st, 2007, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

I actually live in Ohio, so I get sick of all the man love for OSU.

If you live in Ohio you should then completely understand the man love for OSU in Ohio... THERE IS NOTHING ELSE TO BE PROUD OF. You of all people should have figured it out by now... :wink:

Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:
They are way over rated and play a cupcake schedule every year. You can't use the excuse they only play the games on their schedule because they get to make their out of conference schedule.

So having Texas the two years before this is setting up cake schedules? I think you have to remember that these schedules are selected 3-4 years in advance. You never know what level that team will be playing at each year.

Washington was chose for this year as the big out of conference team. They are actually a decent team that plays a lot of really good teams. They almost upset USC.

The next two years Ohio State will play USC, is that OSU picking non-conferance chumps? Who's after USC, Miami(FL). Maybe not the highest rated team right now, but when they were selected, they were quit the team.

Every club picks one big non-conference team to play and a couple of easy ones. It is the way it is done for everyone. OSU's problem, they play teh likes of MSU and UofM this year who aren't showing themselves as tough teams this year.

You can sit there and figure ways to degrade OSU's ranking and say they don't pick hard schedules... but they do NOTHING different than any other big time school. Their only fault is they have to play chumps this year from the Big Ten, those they can't pick...

October 21st, 2007, 8:34 pm
Heisman Winner

So having Texas the two years before this is setting up cake schedules? I think you have to remember that these schedules are selected 3-4 years in advance. You never know what level that team will be playing at each year.

So Youngstown State and Akron where awesome teams 3-4 years ago? And I will give you Texas but then again Texas wasn't all that good when they actually did schedule those games.

Also, living in Ohio I have to hear about that Cavs and Indians all the damn time too. Cleveland fans are the worse too, what a bunch of A-Holes. And to top it off I like having MSU being the last Big Ten School with a national championship (Hockey last year).

October 21st, 2007, 9:36 pm
RIP Killer

So Youngstown State and Akron where awesome teams 3-4 years ago? And I will give you Texas but then again Texas wasn't all that good when they actually did schedule those games.

I addresses the Akron and Youngstown part, every school plays bad schools, see USC and Stanford... lol

As for Texas:

Final rankings
2001: 9th
2002: 6th
2003: 12th
2004: 5th

Not all that good? AS for ignoring the fact they scheduled USC obviosuly during their best stretch of years in history... come on now Roy...

October 21st, 2007, 9:45 pm
Heisman Winner

I said I'd give you Texas, I just gave it to you with a little bit of a backhanded comment.

October 21st, 2007, 10:48 pm
RIP Killer

I said I'd give you Texas, I just gave it to you with a little bit of a backhanded comment.

As long as you don't still think that OSU sets up a soft schedule on purpose it's fine...

Quote:
Also, living in Ohio I have to hear about that Cavs and Indians all the damn time too. Cleveland fans are the worse too, what a bunch of A-Holes.

Yeah.. my in-laws are cleveland fans... ugggg...

October 22nd, 2007, 7:13 am
RIP Killer

Quote:
Dear Ohio State Football Hater,

It’s been awhile since we spoke. How are you doing? I’m kidding, I know exactly how you’re doing. The first BCS standings were released this week and the Buckeyes, just as in last year’s first BCS standings, are number one. It makes you angry this is happening again. You weren’t all that upset about the Buckeyes initial ranking last year. You had actually seen that team play and they looked good, had a Heisman candidate, and they were laying out some decent teams on national television. As a result, the sports outlets actually showed highlights of and discussed the Buckeyes, and they were the preseason number one. Those Buckeyes were abiding by the accepted practice of playing games against schools that had, at the very least, some sort of shot at playing in a crappy bowl game. Not this year’s Buckeyes. What a weak early schedule, right? (Forget that this is an anomaly-that we usually play as tough a non-conference slate as anyone)

We know this, understand this and embrace this reality. None of this is unexpected, angry SEC fans. You think you’re upset with Ohio State being undefeated; especially since your swampy, one-page playbook brothers in Gainesville did bad, bad things to our overconfident, apathetic team in January that we’re still trying hard to forget. If it makes you feel better to think that the game wasn’t an aberration itself, go right ahead. The truth is you’re not upset with Ohio State . Your frustration is rooted in the precision-like choke fest that has afflicted the majority of ranked teams on a weekly basis.

You’re seething at the idea of a number one-ranked Ohio State team in total rebuilding mode with an all new quarterback, receivers, running backs, and true freshmen all over the field on both sides of the ball, running up an undefeated record well into October on the strength of beating absolutely nobody. It’s maddening. I understand your rage, but let’s take a look at everyone else……..

USC’s last three losses are to unranked teams and their sixth straight media-anointed championship is officially in jeopardy. Florida lost to Auburn , which got Croomed by Mississippi St. at home. Oregon lost to California , which got beaten by Oregon State at home and the Beavs did something the Buckeyes have not come close to doing: They got annihilated by an Ohio team. That same Cal team annihilated Tennessee , from the almighty SEC. The unbeatable LSU Tigers lost at Kentucky ; those Wildcats were played even for a half and ended up allowing a whopping 493 yards to yes, Kent State , the Buckeyes latest in-state lay-up. I agree that the Big Ten is stinky this year. I’m just not convinced that any other conference is all that great either (That includes you, SEC).

If you disagree, that’s your right as an American. Rather than consider the idea that we are in the midst of one of the most improbable college football seasons in history, you figure you’d instead take intellectually lazy route and focus your wrath on the weakness of Ohio State’s partial schedule - My God, that’s stooping to the level of programs like Florida , LSU, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma , and any of the other 100+ D-IA teams that routinely schedule borderline I-A programs with the sole interest of generating a mountain of cash from a hapless opponent scrimmage disguised as a home football game. It's just that Ohio State is blowing them all out and it winds you up.

It is little more than a cheap shot to suggest that the Buckeyes are undeserving of this meaningless, midseason ranking just because they soiled the bed so badly against Florida ten months ago. In the last two seasons, they’ve only lost 3 games to both national champions ( Texas and Florida ) and the second runner up ( Penn State in ‘05). There’s no real embarrassment in that range, and no other program in the country in contention for the glass testicle can say that. You just have to understand that as a Buckeye fans, we really don’t care what you think.

You see, we’re used to your spite by now. In 2002 the Buckeyes went 14-0, and at every point of the season each win was diminished by other teams fans that refused to acknowledge that sometimes a win is just a win. Sort of like beating Stanford at home, or Mississippi State, or Oregon State, or Colorado, or even Kentucky….whoops. Those would have been just regular wins for the much, much, better-on-paper teams that lost to them. Now in the year of the Weekly Train wreck, it somehow makes sense for you to hate Ohio State for having no wins of significance while somehow overlooking the losses that have popped up on all of the allegedly better teams schedules. They haven’t gotten the upset bug. They win convincingly. In the past, they were ripped for winning games too close. Apparently, you’ll bag on them no matter what they do.

We get that USC has unbelievable recruiting classes. So do Texas and Florida . In fact, every year each SEC team outside of Nashville signs about fifty of the best semi-literate recruits around, which in a perfect, paper world would qualify each of them for their own, cute mythical national championship. We get all of that, and we agree. However, a bad win is worth more than a million losses, and so far this year the Buckeyes have neither. They’re destroying everybody they’re playing, bad or very bad, and they’ve accomplished nothing in the process except for ascendance by way of attrition all around them. There’s another white out coming their way @ Penn State . Wisconsin is traditionally Tressel kryptonite, and then there’s Michigan in Ann Arbor in sports' greatest rivalry game - note they are lot harder to beat with everything at stake than they are over Labor Day with nothing to lose.

So relax. If Ohio State is really just the better-than-average, rebuilding team you thought or hoped they would be, that will be evident by the time the rankings actually count. If not, and they keep winning anyway, what does it even matter? You made up your mind about the Buckeyes years ago. They suck and they’re always overrated. We know how you feel. We just don’t care.

Go Bucks!

October 22nd, 2007, 11:31 am
Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:

As long as you don't still think that OSU sets up a soft schedule on purpose it's fine...

Steen... do you really believe that OSU didn't intentionally set up a cupcake schedule this year??? By their own admission, before last Sat., Washington was the toughest team that they had played. Washington is now 2-5.

I'm not saying that OSU has a history of setting up soft schedules, but that is certainly INTENTIONALLY what they have done this year...

October 22nd, 2007, 2:29 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Roy,Roy,Roy...Roy wrote:

Steen... do you really believe that OSU didn't intentionally set up a cupcake schedule this year??? By their own admission, before last Sat., Washington was the toughest team that they had played. Washington is now 2-5.

I'm not saying that OSU has a history of setting up soft schedules, but that is certainly INTENTIONALLY what they have done this year...

wjb, you are then making this statement. OSU 4 years ago knew what quality of talent team they have this year and new Washington was going to a 2-5 team. Literally, the only difference between OSU and the way a team like USC, LSU, Oklahoma, etc. is the fact that their conferance has harder opponents this year, that is it. You can make the Big Ten harder by picking a schedule. Every single big school gets one hard out of conferance gamem then pads the rest with I-AA losers and teams like Stanford.

The next issue is lookin at prerankings. If you look at how good everyone THOUGHT teams were going to be compared to how good they were, OSU schedulers must be freaking Nostradomus! OSU's schedule looked HARDER than almost any other teams before the season started. If OSU was looking to pad their schedule and make it cake they obviously then could look into the future to see this year unfold.

So either OSU schedulers should be betting on games not wasting their time working, or things just unrolled the way they unrolled this year. Every single team picks one harder out of conferance team to play and gets eady teams for the rest of the non conferance games.

I'll quote the email I quoted above...

Quote:
Sort of like beating Stanford at home, or Mississippi State, or Oregon State, or Colorado, or even Kentucky….whoops. Those would have been just regular wins for the much, much, better-on-paper teams that lost to them. Now in the year of the Weekly Train wreck, it somehow makes sense for you to hate Ohio State for having no wins of significance while somehow overlooking the losses that have popped up on all of the allegedly better teams schedules. They haven’t gotten the upset bug. They win convincingly.

You can try and downplay OSU and their scheduling, but if you look at the process, give me a break, they did nothing out of the ordinary scheduling their games, NOTHING.

October 22nd, 2007, 3:03 pm
Heisman Winner

November 10th, 2007, 11:28 pm
Steen... The schedules aren't made four years in advance... Are they???

That said, OSU had no business being anywhere near number 1, and I'm glad they were exposed today, before we had to watch a crappy National Championship game where they get blown out...

I'm looking forward to the U of M/OSU game... IMO, honestly, I think talent wise OSU is the better team... I think U of M was over-ranked at 12... If I had to list teams I would put U of M somewhere between 17-22, and OSU somewhere around 12-15... But it should be a good game given that it's at the Big House...

Still, the National Championship game might shape up to be a weird, quirky game full of bad football... there are a ton of teams that haven't played much talent, and a ton of really good teams that seemed to have knocked eachother off... We'll see I guess... I just hope that in the end two good teams play. I don't like watching blowouts as much as I like watching good football...

November 11th, 2007, 2:55 am
RIP Killer

Steen... The schedules aren't made four years in advance... Are they???

Yes, they really are. They set up games with other schools 3,4,5 years in advance. OSU set up with Texas 4 years in advance to play them one year in Texas one year in Ohio. They did the same with USC for teh next two years. Here is OSU's future schedules:

http://www.myteamprints.com/osufutureschedule.htm

wjb21ndtown wrote:
That said, OSU had no business being anywhere near number 1, and I'm glad they were exposed today, before we had to watch a crappy National Championship game where they get blown out...

I wouldn't say "exposed" they made the same mistake LSU, Oregon, and everyone else has, they weren't ready for the game and didn't play like they want to win. OSU should be around 4-7 after yesterday. Others have played harder schedules and have 1 loss, so they should be ranked higher.

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I'm looking forward to the U of M/OSU game... IMO, honestly, I think talent wise OSU is the better team... I think U of M was over-ranked at 12... If I had to list teams I would put U of M somewhere between 17-22, and OSU somewhere around 12-15... But it should be a good game given that it's at the Big House...

It will be a great game, though I would rank OSU 4-7 now, not 12-15.

November 11th, 2007, 2:03 pm

I'm not saying that OSU should drop all the way down to 12-15 after losing this week... I'm saying that I think there are at least 12 teams in the NCAA that are better than they are...

November 11th, 2007, 9:14 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

I'm not saying that OSU should drop all the way down to 12-15 after losing this week... I'm saying that I think there are at least 12 teams in the NCAA that are better than they are...

Ahhh... I would still disagree ;)

November 11th, 2007, 10:41 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

Ahhh... I would still disagree ;)

I hope they get a 1/2 way decent bowl team so we can find out... IMO, if they draw a tough team, they'll get blown out... We'll see I guess...

November 11th, 2007, 10:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next