View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 4:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Cubs Trade O.F. Jacque Jones to Tigers for INF Omar Infante 
RIP Killer

Post Cubs Trade O.F. Jacque Jones to Tigers for INF Omar Infante
AP wrote:
CHICAGO (AP) -The Chicago Cubs traded outfielder Jacque Jones to the Detroit Tigers on Monday for utility player Omar Infante.
Jones, who took over as Chicago's starting center fielder in the second half of the 2007 season, batted .285 with five homers and 66 RBIs in 135 games. He signed with the Cubs as a free agent in January 2006.

Infante batted .271 with two home runs and 17 RBIs in 66 games with Detroit this year. He played six positions and made his most appearances at second base (20 games). He also appeared at shortstop, third base and all three outfield positions.

November 12th, 2007, 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Kind of underwhelming. I would have preferred someone better than Jones for our lefty, but I guess there really weren't many better and more realistic options.

November 13th, 2007, 2:52 am
Profile WWW
NFL Team Captain

Me thinks that someone is hitting the road. I can't see us keeping 3 LFs.

But who goes? Thames has good power but is very inconsistent. Timo came through in the cluch many times but can he play a whole season at that level.

With Shef getting most of the swings at DH, the only thing I could see is ihames subbing once in awhile. But Dh is usually reserved for resting position players when the give Shef a rest.

Thoughts?

November 13th, 2007, 9:05 am
NFL Team Captain

Just read on ESPN that Jones will split time in left with Marcus Thames. No mention of Timo so I guess that leaves him the odd man out.

Now what do wi do with Maybin? Send him down, he didn't show much last year and can't get better sitting on the benc behind my Tiger, Curtis Granderson.

November 13th, 2007, 9:42 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Yes, it sounds as though Timo is the odd man out. He still has minor league options left, so he will still be available to be called up if we need him. As for Maybin, he will start the season in either double A or triple A and realistically, the Tigers do not want to call him up next season. A good season of consistent play in the minors will have him ticketed to Detroit for 2009.

Tim

November 13th, 2007, 9:54 am
Heisman Winner

Maybin will be sent down for sure, I think they just wanted to get his feet wet a little bit to help speed his development and also get an idea how he would react to playing at Yankee Stadium. I think Maybin handled the pressure fairly well, but he just isn't ready for the "Bigs" as of yet. Timo will more than likely go back to triple-A Toledo as well. Look out for the Mud Hens next year they will be going for their 3 championship in 4 years and they will have weapons to do it.

November 13th, 2007, 9:56 am
IMO they better start playing Maybin in LF or RF in the minors... LF to be our every day player, or RF to eventually take over for Mags... IMO that was his biggest issue when he was up here, not playing CF... He looked lost in LF...

November 13th, 2007, 1:37 pm
League MVP

1. CF Granderson L .300 20HR 70 RBI
2. 2B Polanco R .310 6 HR 60 RBI
3. DH Sheffield R .310 30 HR 120 RBI
4. RF Ordonez R .310 30 HR 120 RBI
5. 1B Guillen S .305 25 HR 110 RBI
6. SS Renteria R .280 10 HR 75 RBI
7. LF Jones L .280 15 HR 80 RBI
8. C Rodriguez R .270 10 HR 65 RBI
9. 3B Inge R .255 20 HR 80 RBI
IF Santiago
OF/IF Raburn
OF/1b Thames
C Wilson

SP Verlander 21-6 2.65 220IP/200K
SP Bonderman 16-12 3.48 230IP/240K
SP Rogers 14-10 4.37 200IP/120K
Sp Robertson 13-13 4.43 190IP/140K
SP Miller 10-13 4.05 180IP/160K
RP Miner, Grilli, Durbin, Rodney
LP Seay, Byrdak
CP Jones 3-5 4.66 40 Saves

I like the changes in the lineup, it seems like this team fits Comerica Park better than teams of the past couple of years. We have improved team speed by replacing Casey with Renteria and Monroe with Jones. Also Monroe is more of a pure power hitter whereas Jones can hit for avg, runs better and still shows some power. I really like the middle of the lineup filled with doubles hitter. Between Bonderman, Verlander, and Miller they have 3 young power arms with ACE potential. Robertson is a good guy to have in the middle of the rotation, Rogers should be back. I like Durbin as a fill in starter/long reliever and we still have young arms in the minors Bazardo, Delacruz, Tata and Vazquez waiting for chances. Zumaya could give a boost later but the bullpen still looks a little shaky to me although that group did a good job towards the end of the season.

Prediction : Verlander is verlander, Bonderman finally puts it all together and Miller heats up down the stretch. Renteria starts out strong becomes the leadoff man and the middle of the lineup granderson, sheffield, ordonez and guillen proves unstoppable. Midseason trades of Thames and Durbin allow Bazardo, DelaCruz and B Clevlen with opportunities to contribute. Verlander outduels Beckett in the ALCS and the Tigers easily defeat Philadelphia in 5 games to take the World Series. T Jones, K Rogers, and P Rodriguez all retire as champions but the Tigers are still poised for greatness in 2009 with the return of Zumaya and Cameron Maybin ready to take over in LF.

AL EAST: Boston Central: Tigers West: Seattle Wild Card: Yankees
NL East: Philadelphia Central: Milwaukee West: Arizona Wild Card: Cardinals

All Stars : Verlander, Granderson, Polanco, Ordonez.
Cy Young : AL J Santana/NL C Hamels
MVP: G Sizemore/A Pujols
ALCS MVP: Verlander
World Series MVP: Polanco

November 17th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]