View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 24th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Marlins, Tigers talking blockbuster 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Marlins, Tigers talking blockbuster
This would be huge if Dombrowski can pull this off.
Quote:
Sources: Marlins, Tigers talking blockbuster
Ken Rosenthal
FOXSports.com

The Marlins, stalled in their attempts to trade third baseman Miguel Cabrera, could be laying the groundwork for an even bigger deal.

The Marlins and Tigers are engaged in preliminary talks about a blockbuster that would send Cabrera and left-hander Dontrelle Willis to Detroit for a package of young players, according to major-league sources.
Outfielder Cameron Maybin and left-hander Andrew Miller likely are among the Marlins' targets. The Tigers already feature two veteran left-handed starters, Kenny Rogers and Nate Robertson, possibly making Miller available in a deal for Willis.

Cabrera would play third base for the Tigers. It is uncertain what would happen to the Tigers' incumbent third baseman, Brandon Inge, if a deal were completed; he possibly could be sent to another team.

The Marlins are at an impasse in their talks about Cabrera with the Angels. The teams are in agreement on three players the Marlins would receive, sources say — second baseman Howie Kendrick, catcher Jeff Mathis and minor-league pitcher Nick Adenhart. The Angels are balking at including right-hander Ervin Santana; the substitution of outfielder Reggie Willits possibly could lead to a deal.

The White Sox remain heavily interested in Cabrera, whom they would use in left field. Sox manager Ozzie Guillen is close with Cabrera and said Monday that the player already has lost 15 pounds this off-season while re-dedicating himself to baseball.

December 4th, 2007, 1:27 pm
I don't like it... I don't like getting older at the expense of our younger players that should be on the roster in the next year or two (or perhaps next season)... In addition... We already just traded away some of our best young talent... I don't like gutting the whole farm system for a couple of thirty something's just to make one final play-off run.

December 4th, 2007, 2:39 pm
Heisman Winner

I say do it, Young pitching is so hard to figure out could Miller end up being elite, possibly but I really doubt it, and getting a huge upgrade at 3rd base is exactly what we need. Letting Maybin go might hurt a little but he is only slightly younger than our current All-Star Centerfielder. I think it is a fair trade that should help both teams, you can't always be building for the future some times you need to pull the trigger to win NOW.

December 4th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't like it... I don't like getting older at the expense of our younger players that should be on the roster in the next year or two (or perhaps next season)... In addition... We already just traded away some of our best young talent... I don't like gutting the whole farm system for a couple of thirty something's just to make one final play-off run.

Carbrera is 24 and Dontrelle is 25. No where near 30. Carbrera is actually considered a future hall of famer by many scouts and GM's and is considered the 2nd best hitter in baseball behind A Rod.

Not saying I would do this, though. We would definitely have to give up both Miller and Maybin to get them. But it is being reported that Dombrowski approached the Marlins, and we all know Dave loves to make deals.

Tim

December 4th, 2007, 3:37 pm
Quote:

Carbrera is 24 and Dontrelle is 25. No where near 30. Carbrera is actually considered a future hall of famer by many scouts and GM's and is considered the 2nd best hitter in baseball behind A Rod.

Not saying I would do this, though. We would definitely have to give up both Miller and Maybin to get them. But it is being reported that Dombrowski approached the Marlins, and we all know Dave loves to make deals.

Sorry about that TAD...I thought Dontrelle was closer to 28-30 (actually I thought he was 29 or 30 already)...

IDK what to think... I would rather trade Maybin for Carbrera straight up... IMO Dontrelle Willis is no better than what we would get out of Miller next season, and Miller has a huge upside... I guess that's what they would be looking for though...

I realize that Granderson is great, and I like him a lot, but who do we have in RF or LF??? We just traded our best RF prospect and now we're going to trade our BETTER prospect too... And... What do we do with Inge? If this trade was Mabin and Inge for Carbrera it would be one thing... but it's going to leave us lopsided, IMO... I don't like that... If we can work a deal somewhere else, even for a prospect RF/LF for Inge I would be a LOT more comfortable with it...

December 4th, 2007, 5:32 pm
Now that we have a 3rd basemen and nothing to do with him, does anything we should offer Bonderman and Inge for Dan Haren, or Rich Harden???

Personally, I'd like it... They say Haren is now a middle of the rotation starter because he has lost some of his command, but I think he could benefit from our pitching coach, Kenny Rogers, and our big ball-park. Also, it is rumored that Oakland won't be able to re-sign him, so why not take advantage of that? We could send them a pitcher in his prime that is pretty good and doesn't need to be re-signed, and get a great pitcher in return (as long as we can straighten him out).

December 4th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Heisman Winner

Now that we have a 3rd basemen and nothing to do with him

I think Inge will be the new backup backup (Wilson) catcher Rabelo was also part of the deal. Anyone who hasn't heard.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3141703

December 4th, 2007, 9:26 pm

Well, it looks like the deal was made and just has to be finalized. Cabrera has been an all star in all 4 of his seasons in the major leagues, while Willis has been an all star 2 out of 5 seasons.

We did give up a lot. Maybin and Miller we're both shipped along with our backup catcher Mike Rabelo. 3 other pitching prospects were also sent to the Marlins. I really wanted to see Maybin and Miller grow, but I guess Cabrera was just too good to pass up to Dombrowski. Cabrera is noted as being the 3rd fastest player to 500 RBI's in MLB history.

This also leaves us in a predicament in what to do with Brandon Inge? He used to be a catcher, so maybe the Tigers ask him to return to those duties and backup Pudge and Cabrera. Or maybe he gets traded. Too early to say.

I do know our batting order is going to be the best in the AL, even better than the Yankees, IMO:

1) Granderson
2) Polanco
3) Sheff
4) Ordonez
5) Guillen
6) Cabrera (him and Guillen can be flip flopped)
7) Renteria (can be flip flopped with Granderson against Righties)
8) Jones
9) Pudge

This is a sick lineup. Not a weak bat in the order.

Also, our pitching rotation looks stellar as well:

1) Verlander
2) Rogers
3) Bonderman
4) Willis
5) Robertson

Dare I say, Tigers in the World Series in 2008?

Tim

December 4th, 2007, 9:41 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

This has to be the biggest trade in Tiger history...I could not believe that they would trade the untouchables... World Series 2008? damn straight!!

December 4th, 2007, 11:21 pm
National Champion

I think Inge will be traded for one more arm in the bullpen, with Zumya out untill atleast after the all star break we need one more arm in that pen right know its the same guys out there who blew the seaon down the stretch in Jones, Rodney, Grilli, Seay If rodney is the set up guy and jones is the closer i would like to have one more middle reliever to go with Grilli because seay is just a situational lefty.

December 4th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I love this trade! Cabrera and Willis are still young and won't be eligible for free agency until 2010. I'd expect that Dombrowski will lock them both up long term before that though. Right now, I would have to say that the Tigers are the favorites to win the World Series because of this deal. They have a win now mentality because they have to. Players like Rodriguez, Sheffield, Rogers, Jones, and Ordonez aren't getting any younger and won't be around much longer.

December 5th, 2007, 10:06 am

I love this trade for now, too. But man, did we ever give up a lot of our future. Who knows, Maybin and Miller might never pan out or play to their potential. But I was excited to watch them grow and see them reach for their potential. We still have Rick Porcello and a few other arms left in our farm system, but our position players and outfield prospects are looking bare now.

World Series or bust!!

Tim

December 5th, 2007, 11:05 am
NFL Team Captain

I am geeked about this trade! Caberra is a major addition to the infield and the batting order. Don't get me wrong, I still have man love for Inge but he is not the caliberof player that Cabrrea is.

Dontrel Willis is a pitcher that steps in as our number 2 or 1? Either way he makes our staff scarry.

I have to agree with HLC that Inge may be traded for another reliever. Personally I would rather they kept him as Pudge's backup and eventually take over for Pudge. We don't have a catching prospect in our farm system that I know of and Inge has a cannon for an arm. If he spends some time with Pudge to learn the right way to handle our pitching staff and has the time to work on his hitting, I think that he would be a very servicable catcher. He has shown flashes of power, maybe he can return to that form. Either way he is our best option as a future catcher.

Lordy, I am ready for baseball.

Tigs to the World Series, and God bless Dave D. and Mike Illitch....play ball :idea: :idea: :idea:

December 5th, 2007, 5:52 pm
Allegedly this trade has had even bigger implications... The Twins had a deal in place with Boston for Santana, and retracted it after they saw what we gave up for Willis and Cabrera... They upped the anti after our trade went through... LoL... Good for us... for now... He'll still probably end up being delt though, to one of the "superpowers."

December 5th, 2007, 9:49 pm
NFL Team Captain

Of which we are considered to be. Any chance that we break the bank and trade for Santana? What do we have left to offer?

I know that it is a fantasy,but could you imagine our team with Santana on it? Holy dynasty Batman.....lol

December 5th, 2007, 10:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next