View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 1:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 SI says real Hockeytown is land of Wild 
Modmin Dude

Post SI says real Hockeytown is land of Wild
Freep.com wrote:
THE TICKER

SI says real Hockeytown is land of Wild
December 6, 2007

By JAMES JAHNKE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Not to be an alarmist, but ... they're trying to take Hockeytown away from us!

The latest Sports Illustrated has an article titled "In search of Hockeytown USA," and the first sign that it's not the Motor City is this line: "In Detroit in 2007, the Hockeytown moniker seems as appropriate as dipping a beef taco in a glass of milk. Detroit's Hockeytown crown has slipped."

Why? Author Michael Farber cites flagging attendance at Joe Louis Arena.
So, with Hockeytown ... er ... Detroit down in the dumps, Farber hit the road to check out other candidates.

• In Philadelphia, Flyers vice president Bob Clarke lobbied: "When Detroit was bad (in the 1980s), the Red Wings couldn't put 3,000 in their building, and they were giving away cars. This is pro Hockeytown."

• In Buffalo, Sabres managing partner Larry Quinn said: "I mean, if we're not Hockeytown, who is?"

Well, according to Farber, "America's new Hockeytown" is St. Paul, Minn., home of the North Stars.

What's that? The Stars left town because of lousy attendance? Shouldn't that be grounds for disqualification?

Quick hits

• How about this for proof of Hockeytown's spirit? According to Versus, Tuesday's Wings-Canadiens game on the network was the night's most-watched cable program in the Detroit area (4.7 rating).

• Wizards star Gilbert Arenas, blogging on nba.com about why he's avoiding pain pills after his knee surgery: "It blocked my stomach up last time, and I couldn't use the restroom. I couldn't use the restroom for, like, five days, and I didn't want to go through that pain again."

• Sarcastic sports blog deadspin.com wondered how the Pistons scored 117 points against Milwaukee on Saturday with an offense "slower than the opening 'Baywatch' credits."

Best bet

• Check out Michigan State basketball signee Delvon Roe playing for Lakewood (Ohio) St. Edward High at 9 tonight on ESPN2. The 6-foot-8 stud will join the Spartans next season.

Overheard

• Spurs forward Robert Horry, in the San Antonio Express-News: "I'm averaging two blocks a game and shooting 0%. Just call me Ben Wallace."

Compiled from staff reports and news services by JAMES JAHNKE, who can be reached at 313-223-3808 or jjahnke@freepress.com.

Find this article at:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 3/SPORTS05

Well, it's hard to argue that Detroit may not be Hockeytown anymore. There is no one showing up to the games. I guess everyone is just spoiled with the way the Wings have been playing for the past 10+ years....that and, from what I understand, the ticket prices are outrageous.

December 6th, 2007, 10:37 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]