View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Ryan Mallett Transferring to UCLA? 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Ryan Mallett Transferring to UCLA?
I don't know how reliable this info is, but...
Quote:
UM's Mallett planning to transfer

By ZACH SILKA
BLADE SPORTS WRITER

Rich Rodriguez's tenure as the head football coach at the University of Michigan is only in its second day, but he may have already lost one of the Wolverines.

There is speculation out of Ann Arbor that freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett has decided to leave Michigan and will transfer to UCLA, according to a person close to the team.

Michigan associate athletic director Bruce Madej said no paperwork has come across his desk regarding Mallett's transfer and that as far as he knows, Mallett is still enrolled at Michigan.

"He came back with us, so I just saw him yesterday," Madej said. "He was talking with the guys about seeing them next week."

Mallett told The Blade on Dec. 26 during the team's preparations for the Capital One Bowl in Orlando that he wanted to remain a Wolverine next season.

Retired Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said Wednesday he was aware of Mallett's decision but would leave it up to him to make the announcement.

"What I hope is Ryan Mallett stays at Michigan," Carr said Wednesday before boarding a team bus at Orlando's Peabody Hotel. "Because I think potentially he can be one of the great quarterbacks that's come along. He's matured dramatically in the last two or three months."

In a fill-in role for oft-injured quarterback Chad Henne, Mallett started three games this season for the Wolverines and appeared in eight others, throwing for 892 yards with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He was 3-0 in his starts against Notre Dame, Penn State and Minnesota.

January 3rd, 2008, 2:20 pm
QB Coach

I like Mallett and I think if we had stuck with him during the OSU game we had a chance to win it. IDK how well he will fit into Rich's offense but when you have a talented QB on your roster I think you do what it takes to keep him.

January 3rd, 2008, 2:43 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I have a gut feeling Ryan is going to transfer. I'm not sure how anyone would have info about a possible transfer to UCLA since nothing public has been said.

Tim

January 3rd, 2008, 3:23 pm

I heard that former Michigan QB Coach Scot Loeffler was interviewing with new UCLA HC Rick Neuheisel, so that's where the rumor probably came from. I think Mallett and Loeffler had a good relationship, so it wouldn't surprise me if he transferred to wherever his former coach ended up.

January 4th, 2008, 11:08 am

They have debunked the UCLA rumor so far. But if Loeffler does join the UCLA staff, then he may certainly consider them. I'll wait to see how this plays out.

Tim

January 4th, 2008, 11:47 am
RIP Killer

I think Mallett leaving def helps your chances of getting Pryor, who would awesome in Rich's system. Mallett just does not fit, but will be a better QB than Pryor because of experiance for at least a year or 2. Mallett would get screwed if Pryor came his last year I think, while Pryor would probably miss a year of playing time killing his chances of an early leave to the draft.

January 4th, 2008, 12:31 pm

I think Mallett leaving def helps your chances of getting Pryor, who would awesome in Rich's system. Mallett just does not fit, but will be a better QB than Pryor because of experiance for at least a year or 2. Mallett would get screwed if Pryor came his last year I think, while Pryor would probably miss a year of playing time killing his chances of an early leave to the draft.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I would just hate for Mallett to transfer and then Pryor to go elsewhere. Then we would be stuck with what? But if Mallett stays and Pryor comes, then Mallett may wish he would have transferred. If we have neither come next season, then we could be in for a VERY long year.

Tim

January 4th, 2008, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. I would just hate for Mallett to transfer and then Pryor to go elsewhere. Then we would be stuck with what? But if Mallett stays and Pryor comes, then Mallett may wish he would have transferred. If we have neither come next season, then we could be in for a VERY long year.

I'm cool with Pryor coming to tOSU either way :wink: , I just think it'll at least not hurt you guys in your chances. I mean, Pryor can start his Sophmore season in OSU for sure, but with Mallett in Ann Arbor, he has no chance at that.

January 4th, 2008, 1:15 pm
TADOne wrote:
Quote:

I'm cool with Pryor coming to tOSU either way :wink: , I just think it'll at least not hurt you guys in your chances. I mean, Pryor can start his Sophmore season in OSU for sure, but with Mallett in Ann Arbor, he has no chance at that.

Pryor will make up his mind once he sees OSU get blown out in their bowl game... At least U of M looked good and has some younger receivers/rb's and offensive play-makers returning... At least U of Mhas some weapons for him to use once he gets here... And at least U of M competed and won their bowl game (a game they really weren't supposed to win)...

OSU COULD win their bowl game, but IMO, ONLY if LSU blows it and hands it to them...

After Pryor sees that game, I think he'll make up his mind, and I think the decision will be an easy one.

January 4th, 2008, 2:28 pm
RIP Killer

Pryor will make up his mind once he sees OSU get blown out in their bowl game... At least U of M looked good and has some younger receivers/rb's and offensive play-makers returning... At least U of Mhas some weapons for him to use once he gets here... And at least U of M competed and won their bowl game (a game they really weren't supposed to win)...

OSU COULD win their bowl game, but IMO, ONLY if LSU blows it and hands it to them...

After Pryor sees that game, I think he'll make up his mind, and I think the decision will be an easy one.

HAHA!!! We'll see...

I have hear though that a Championship or bad loss doesn't really effect reqruiting until a few years later since it is only really impressionable on the younger j-highers/freshman/sophmores. Just something I heard.

January 4th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Quote:
Mallett update: Bound for Arkansas?
by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News
Monday January 14, 2008, 3:50 PM
Freshman quarterback Ryan Mallett transferred from the University of Michigan. That much we know for sure.

But nearly a week after the former prep All-American decided to end his career in Ann Arbor, it remains unclear if he's found a new home.

A report on Rivals.com, citing anonymous sources, said Monday that Mallett is taking courses at Arkansas and will join the Razorbacks' football team.

That counters a story by the Associated Press earlier in the day that quoted Mallett's father Jim saying, "We haven't made a decision yet."

Jim Mallett added that "we visited Arkansas and we've talked to Texas A&M and Tennessee."

When The News reached Jim Mallett on Monday, he wouldn't confirm nor deny the Rivals report. He did say that his son would talk about his school of choice when he was ready, "maybe tomorrow, maybe the next day. That's up to him."

Mallett, who went to high school in Texarkana, Texas, grew up an Arkansas fan. He decided not to attend the school after quarterback Mitch Mustain, who's a year ahead of Mallett, accepted a scholarship offer. Mustain remained at Arkansas for a season, before transferring to Southern California.

In his single season at Michigan, Mallett completed 61 of 141 passes for 892 years with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He played in 11 games, and started three when senior Chad Henne was injured

January 14th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Arkansas huh? Wonder if he was expecting McFadden or Jones to be there?

Tim

January 15th, 2008, 11:56 am
Rookie Player of the Year

I doubt the RBs had anything to do with his decision no matter if they stayed or entered the draft. I'm sure he saw how well all the QBs performed under Petrino and hopes to have similar results in his offense.

January 15th, 2008, 7:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]