View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Coach Rod 
NFL Team Captain

Post Coach Rod
Any info out there about what Rodriguze(sp?) plans to do with the coaching staff?

December 20th, 2007, 7:13 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Quote:
Q . Will any of Michigan's current staff remain?

A . Tough call. There had been talk the last few weeks that the coaches most likely to remain would be Erik Campbell (receivers) and Scot Loeffler (quarterbacks), both Michigan alums, and running backs coach Fred Jackson, a noted recruiter. I've got to believe Rodriguez will try to meet with the current staff today to get a feel, but obviously will try to bring several of his West Virginia staffers.

I also know that Rodriguez is bringing in 2 from his staff. One is his offensive coordinator, so thankfully Mike DeBord will not be back. The other was his secondary coach and recruiting coordinator. I'm thinking Coach Rod will consider strongly in bringing back Ron English as defensive coordinator, but English may have better options out there.

Basically, at this point, it is too early to say.

Tim

December 20th, 2007, 7:43 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/SPORTS06/71220105&theme=COACHROD

Quote:
CLEANING HOUSE: Rich Rodriguez fires all U-M assistants

December 20, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

ANN ARBOR — Rich Rodriguez fired Michigan’s assistant coaches Thursday, his second day as an employee of the school.

Rodriguez met with the coaches one by one at a somber Schembechler Hall as retiring coach Lloyd Carr packed up his belongings in boxes, clearing space for his successor.

Advertisement
Michigan athletic director Bill Martin declined comment.

Carr will coach the Wolverines on Jan. 1 against Florida in the Capital One Bowl, then Rodriguez will take over.

But the former West Virginia coach put his mark on the program by firing each of Carr’s assistants, all of whom were given two-year deals in March that will pay them through Feb. 28, 2009.

I guess that means no McGuffie... :evil:

December 20th, 2007, 10:11 pm
Profile WWW

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071220/SPORTS06/71220105&theme=COACHROD

Quote:
CLEANING HOUSE: Rich Rodriguez fires all U-M assistants

December 20, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

ANN ARBOR — Rich Rodriguez fired Michigan’s assistant coaches Thursday, his second day as an employee of the school.

Rodriguez met with the coaches one by one at a somber Schembechler Hall as retiring coach Lloyd Carr packed up his belongings in boxes, clearing space for his successor.

Advertisement
Michigan athletic director Bill Martin declined comment.

Carr will coach the Wolverines on Jan. 1 against Florida in the Capital One Bowl, then Rodriguez will take over.

But the former West Virginia coach put his mark on the program by firing each of Carr’s assistants, all of whom were given two-year deals in March that will pay them through Feb. 28, 2009.

I guess that means no McGuffie... :evil:

Say hello to the 3-3-5 fellas...

December 20th, 2007, 10:58 pm
#1 Overall Pick

I guess that means no McGuffie...

IDK.........I think McGuffie SHOULD be excited to play in an offense that is a better fit for his talents than the OLD scheme.

I know he liked the RB coach, but really SHOULDN'T be a deciding factor when you are making such an important choice.

I guess we'll see.

December 20th, 2007, 10:58 pm

Rodriguez hasn't even contacted McGuffie at this point, but other schools are calling McGuffie. I'm really not happy that Coach Rod fired all of the assistants. Especially the assistants that more or less coordinate the recruiting. Well, welcome to a new day guys.

Tim

December 21st, 2007, 9:01 am
#1 Overall Pick

Rodriguez hasn't even contacted McGuffie at this point, but other schools are calling McGuffie. I'm really not happy that Coach Rod fired all of the assistants. Especially the assistants that more or less coordinate the recruiting. Well, welcome to a new day guys.

I guess I'm not sure WHY he wouldn't be all over McGuffie. That doesn't make any sense to me, because I do think McGuffie would be a great fit in his offense.

I'm also surprised that he fired the RB coach who is also known as a good recruiter. Recruiting is an area that I think Michigan should definitely hope to improve.

December 21st, 2007, 9:14 am

I guess I'm not sure WHY he wouldn't be all over McGuffie. That doesn't make any sense to me, because I do think McGuffie would be a great fit in his offense.

I'm also surprised that he fired the RB coach who is also known as a good recruiter. Recruiting is an area that I think Michigan should definitely hope to improve.

Agreed and agreed, Phunny. I just don't know how he can make a decision on not keeping ANY UM assistants after watching one practice and a couple of meetings. But, I guess it's his prerogative.

As for McGuffie, I agree he would be a great fit in this offense. Everything I have seen of McGuffie on film is that he is great in open space. He would get plenty of oppurtunities in open spaces in this offense.

Tim

December 21st, 2007, 10:06 am
Modmin Dude

U-M coach Rich Rodriguez brings back RB coach Fred Jackson
December 21, 2007

By MARK SNYDER

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

New Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez will re-hire running backs coach Fred Jackson, U-M assistant athletic director Bruce Madej said today.

Rodriguez told all nine U-M assistant coaches on Thursday they would be released.

Retaining Jackson is a key personnel move. Jackson, 57, has extensive recruiting contacts in Michigan and has done especially well recruiting the South.

Jackson has coached at Michigan since 1992, including a stint as offensive coordinator.

The move also should help keep Michigan as a strong player for running back Sam McGuffie of Cypress Cy-Fair, Texas, who has made an oral commitment to the Wolverines and is close with Jackson.

Rodriguez is planning to re-do the strength and conditioning aspects of the Wolverines’ program, but the training and equipment staffs and other football personnel (director of football operations, associate athletic director for football, recruiting coordinator) are expected to remain with the program, Madej said.

Find this article at:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 21038/1054

December 21st, 2007, 2:50 pm
National Champion

I wouldnt mind seeing the Lions pick up the U of M LB Coach. They always tackle fundementaly sound.

December 21st, 2007, 3:26 pm
NFL Team Captain

I'd like to see Ron English as the Lions secondary coach, but he'll probably get a better offer than that :x

December 21st, 2007, 4:11 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

According to Jackson, Rodriguez told him that two more assistants could be retained. One of them appears to be DL coach Steve Stripling, but I don't know who the other one is.

December 22nd, 2007, 9:18 am

Just updating 2 things. McGuffie is staying committed to UM since Rod rehired the RB coach.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /801020404

Also, as I'm sure everyone has heard, Ron English is going to Louisville to be their DC. I think he will do well there.

Tim

January 2nd, 2008, 4:55 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Quote:
Five West Virginia assistant coaches, including assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Calvin McGee, are headed to Michigan to follow former Mountaineers' coach Rich Rodriguez, according to a person briefed on the decision.

The five are McGee, offensive line coach Greg Frey, quarterbacks coach Rod Smith, safeties coach Bruce Tall and defensive backs coach Tony Gibson. Strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis is also headed to Michigan.

The five were part of Rodriguez's staff at West Virginia along with Bill Stewart, who was named the Mountaineers' head coach on Thursday.

West Virginia defensive coordinator Jeff Casteel is still weighing his options, including Michigan and the Mountaineers, according to the source.

January 5th, 2008, 10:14 am

Looks like UM has finally hire a defensive coordinator. I have never heard of the guy, but he is from the Midwest.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /801110431

Tim

January 11th, 2008, 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next