View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 1st, 2014, 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Pryor's cousin trying to convince him to join UM 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Pryor's cousin trying to convince him to join UM
Quote:
By Bill Beckner Jr.
VALLEY NEWS DISPATCH
Friday, December 21, 2007

Toney Clemons can see it now. Terrelle Pryor drops back, sees Clemons open along the sideline and delivers a perfect strike for a long touchdown play.
And the Michigan crowd goes wild.

Clemons, a freshman wide receiver at Michigan and a Valley High School graduate, would like nothing more than to have Pryor, Jeannette's standout quarterback, join him in Wolverines blue and maize.

Besides, Pryor is Clemons' cousin.

Pryor, the much-sought-after recruit who is rated as the top prospect in the country, brought Michigan back onto his list of potential colleges when former West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez took over as head coach.
Clemons, who communicates with Pryor via cell phone calls and text messages, isn't exactly pressuring Pryor to go to Ann Arbor, Mich., but he is offering advice when it comes to the sometimes overwhelming recruiting process.

"We talk all the time," Clemons said. "I tell him, it's his decision. I try to help him out, but it's his call. Terrelle wants to play in a spread offense. We don't know if Coach Rodriguez is going to bring in the spread here. But he is a coach who caters to his players. That's what great offensive coaches do."

Pryor has narrowed his list of schools to Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, Penn State and Florida.

West Virginia might re-enter the mix, Pryor said, based on what happens with the coaching staff.

"Toney recruits me, and wants me to come up there," Pryor said, "but he tells me to have my own mind. He wants me to do what's best for me.

"I mean, yeah, I can see us playing together, but we'll have to see what happens."

Pryor said a spread offense isn't the major selling point for colleges.

"It would be nice, but I'd play anywhere," Pryor said.

Last year, another one of Clemons' cousins, from a different side of his family, Steve Breaston, suggested Clemons join him at Michigan. But Breaston, who played at Woodland Hills and is now in the NFL, did not hassle him into his decision.

"Stevie made it clear to me," Clemons said. "Do what is best for you. At the end of the day, you're the one who is going to school there for four years. You need to go to the school for the school, not just the coach."

Rodriguez recruited Clemons heavily when Clemons was coming out of Valley. Clemons said West Virginia finished third on his list, behind Michigan and Tennessee.

Clemons said playing with Pryor would be a reunion of sorts. The pair played youth football together in the Keystone Banner League.

"It would be like little league all over again," Clemons said. "Like Pop Warner. But he was never a quarterback, and I was never a wide receiver. We were running backs. We always played head to head."

We need Pryor to have the right QB to run the spread to its full potential. Hopefully, Coach Rod and his cousin can convinve Pryor to come to UM.

Tim

December 21st, 2007, 12:18 pm
#1 Overall Pick

Clemons, a freshman wide receiver at Michigan and a Valley High School graduate, would like nothing more than to have Pryor, Jeannette's standout quarterback, join him in Wolverines blue and maize.

Besides, Pryor is Clemons' cousin.

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

I have waited for YEARS to see U of M get a mobile QB........even if it was for situational use only........and this guy looks like he could be UNREAL.

December 22nd, 2007, 9:58 am

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /712310407

Looks like there is the perception if Mallett transfers that Pryor will certainly choose UM. Mallett has said he is waiting until after the bowl game to make his decision.

Tim

December 31st, 2007, 2:31 pm
RIP Killer

Interesting, a lot of tOSU guys are super excited and convinced that Pryor is no question coming to the Bucks. I have no idea, I just skim the latest articles, but Tressel will call plays to utilize Pryor's abilities. I wouldn't mind seeing him in scarlet and gray... :wink: He would have the best line in the NCAA every year with the oustanding lineman in our recruiting class.

December 31st, 2007, 5:44 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

The information in that Detroit News article is wrong. I listened to a Pryor interview on rivals.com the other day and he won't make a final decision until close to signing day in February. In fact, he won't even visit Michigan until late January or early February, so I wouldn't expect an announcement until after that. Also, his top three choices right now appear to be Ohio State, Florida, and Michigan.

January 1st, 2008, 9:29 am

Thanks for the clarification Sly. I actually just came across that same article you were talking about. Either way, I sincerly hope the Buckeyes don't get him.

Tim

January 1st, 2008, 1:16 pm
RIP Killer

The information in that Detroit News article is wrong. I listened to a Pryor interview on rivals.com the other day and he won't make a final decision until close to signing day in February. In fact, he won't even visit Michigan until late January or early February, so I wouldn't expect an announcement until after that. Also, his top three choices right now appear to be Ohio State, Florida, and Michigan.

Hmmm, I was hoping he'd pick Ohio State next weekend... but I guess we will have to wait for that till signing day ;0).

Either way, he'll be a heck of a player. I bet this has to be the hardest choice to make. Either three teams would be a great pick, no doubt about it. He would get to start earlier in MI or OSU, but whew... can you imagine it!? The implications are horrible especially when you think it could effect his draft status for the NFL(I'm not ordaining him a savour for the Lions yet ;o), but he is picking probably based on the NFL prospectus).

January 2nd, 2008, 1:35 pm
QB Coach

Watching the East-West game and we have to get Pryor to run Rich's offense. Also heard that another of his cousins is Charlie Batch.

January 5th, 2008, 2:20 pm
RIP Killer

Pryor looked pretty good, he sure can run!!! Hope he makes the RIGHT choice :wink:

If you didn't notice after the game, Pryor was huddled with all the buckeye recruits at teh 50 yard line :D

Prolly means nothing... but hey, worth getting my hoped up...

Edit**

Anyone notice your recruit Cissoko CB kept getting WHOOPED on and burnt by or recruit Posey... should be a matchup for a couple years and I'm liking it!!!

January 5th, 2008, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZBnuw0XxJI[url]

Pryor with a Buckeye sticker on his helmet at the game. Doens't mean much, but really makes you wish...[/url]

January 5th, 2008, 10:29 pm

Pryor with a Buckeye sticker on his helmet at the game. Doens't mean much, but really makes you wish...

The announcers said that another Bucknut recruit named Posey put the sticker on Pryor's helmet as a joke. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

January 6th, 2008, 9:13 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
Pryor with a Buckeye sticker on his helmet at the game. Doens't mean much, but really makes you wish...

The announcers said that another Bucknut recruit named Posey put the sticker on Pryor's helmet as a joke. I wouldn't put much stock in it.

I'm not, but the guy who gave him the sticker said he asked for it...

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=25494154

January 6th, 2008, 9:41 am

Just a quick update, which is what I've been thinking for awhile now.
Quote:
U-M, OSU top Pryor's list
Tom Markowski / The Detroit News
The Michigan-Ohio State rivalry also is being waged on the recruiting trail.

According to recruiting analyst Tom Lemming, one of the nation's top players, quarterback Terrelle Pryor of Jeannette, Pa., will choose either U-M or Ohio State. Pryor also is considering Tennessee and Oregon.

"I think it's 99 percent he'll select Michigan or Ohio State," Lemming said. "Tennessee lost its offensive coordinator (David Cutcliffe) and Oregon is too far away. He wants to stay closer to home.

"And whoever gets him will upset the balance in the Big Ten. That team will dominate the conference as long as he's there."

Lemming said he spoke with Pryor leading up to the U.S. Army All-America Bowl. Pryor (6-foot-6, 230 pounds) was named MVP for leading the East All-Stars to a 33-23 victory over the West. He passed for 76 yards, rushed for 79 and accounted for two touchdowns.

January 8th, 2008, 11:16 am
RIP Killer

Even though I think his input is a bunch of speculation and crap(Pryor has yet to visit Michigan...), I think it is in Pryors best interest to go with a school running the spread offense and taking the full advantage of running the ball. Rod will do that.

That being said, we will get a lot of looks at OSU runnning, but the offense will not be based on him as much as he might like.

January 8th, 2008, 12:04 pm
RIP Killer

Terrelle Pryor's Recruiting Diary: Steelers' Batch will join Pryor on recruiting trips
Friday, January 11, 2008
Jeannette High School quarterback/defensive back Terrelle Pryor is ranked the No. 1 player in the country by several scouting services and is being recruited by colleges nationwide. Until he makes a college decision, the Post-Gazette periodically will run a diary from Pryor, as told to staff writer Mike White.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am probably going to take three recruiting visits this month and I will be taking [Steelers quarterback] Charlie Batch with me to all of them.

Terrelle PryorI've known Charlie for a couple years. His brother dates my aunt. Charlie is kind of part of my family now. We talk. I asked him if he would want to go on my visits, and he said sure.

He'll just help me because he's been through this recruiting process before. Just from talking to him, I trust him a lot. When I go on these visits, I think he'll know who's telling the truth just by sitting there and listening.

I'm going to visit Michigan the weekend of Feb. 1. I'll probably go to Penn State the weekend of Jan. 18. I think I might try to go to Florida some time, too.

I've already been to Ohio State. I'm looking at Oregon, but I probably won't visit them.

I still don't plan on making a decision until signing day (Feb. 6).

Ever since coach [Rich] Rodriguez came to Michigan, I've had them high on my list.

I know [quarterback] Ryan Mallett is transferring from Michigan, and I know their top two receivers [Mario Manningham and Adrian Arrington] are going into the NFL draft. But that doesn't really mean anything to me. I'm going to go where I can feel comfortable.

Michigan's coaches have told me that if I come there, I would have a good chance to start. But no matter where I go, there is going to be competition.

I expect the recruiting to get crazy in the next few weeks, just with coaches calling and other people trying to find out things.

I think playing in the All-American Bowl game [in San Antonio] last week was worth it. I didn't think I had anything to prove down there. I was just out there having fun.

(Pryor was the MVP of the game.)

[Aliquippa's] Jonathan Baldwin was my roommate, but I wasn't in the room a lot, so I didn't really talk to him.

ESPN The Magazine did an article on me last week. I wasn't too happy about it. A lot of things they wrote about my parents aren't true. I don't know where they got some of their information.

I know I'll have some words for the dude that wrote it, if I ever get to talk to him.

Basketball season is starting to move along. It looks Beaver Falls might be the best [Class AA] team in the state so far. They beat us, but we're looking to play them again.

I'm not there yet in basketball. I still have to get my jumper going and get my conditioning up.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08011/848406-365.stm

January 11th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next