View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 17th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 BCS Championship tonight! 
RIP Killer

USC is the tragedy in all of this... Best football team, yet soooo far from being in the BCS Championship game...

Funny, cuz that changed as a national opinion too after the Georgia game. They said USC was teh hottest team, then Georgia one and everyone changed their minds. (Obviously except you). Public opinion makes laugh sometimes. It sways with the wind and is "right" everytime...

January 8th, 2008, 8:21 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Thanks to everyone who participated in the chat last night. It was especially fun ragging on steensn (the lone bucknut fan), but he was a good sport about it. As predicted, the bucknuts lost 38-24 to go 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games. OUCH!

January 8th, 2008, 11:08 am
RIP Killer

Thanks to everyone who participated in the chat last night. It was especially fun ragging on steensn (the lone bucknut fan), but he was a good sport about it. As predicted, the bucknuts lost 38-24 to go 0-9 against the SEC in bowl games. OUCH!

Shut up Sly, you are a jerk... :wink: ... jk...

January 8th, 2008, 12:00 pm
WJB's statements turned around to support OSU:

"Minus the loft for the interception, blocked feild goal, dropped TD pass, and stupid penalty to keep an LSU drive going... OSU was right there in the game."

Honestly, I figured if LSU was going to win, they would win big. OSU showed they deserved to be there. It was a great game till the momentum switch that LSU never let go of. We all know what that does in basically a home feild advantage.

All in all, I felt LSU was a better team overall before the game and I obviously didnt change my mind after. IMO though, OSU beat themselves with stupid very costly mistakes that let LSU keep rolling. I do not feel though that it was that lopsided of a matchup.

Steen, OSU had ONE... ONE legitimate scoring drive... Pathetic...

January 8th, 2008, 12:54 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
WJB's statements turned around to support OSU:

"Minus the loft for the interception, blocked feild goal, dropped TD pass, and stupid penalty to keep an LSU drive going... OSU was right there in the game."

Honestly, I figured if LSU was going to win, they would win big. OSU showed they deserved to be there. It was a great game till the momentum switch that LSU never let go of. We all know what that does in basically a home feild advantage.

All in all, I felt LSU was a better team overall before the game and I obviously didnt change my mind after. IMO though, OSU beat themselves with stupid very costly mistakes that let LSU keep rolling. I do not feel though that it was that lopsided of a matchup.

Steen, OSU had ONE... ONE legitimate scoring drive... Pathetic...

They scored 3 TD's... dropped a pass in the endzone which ended in a blocked kick. A score is a score and the last one counts. They had lots of legitimate drives, some crumbled badely.

Was it pathetic, yes, but it was pathetic because OSU beat themselves and made it a blowout not because they were a terrible team that didn't deserve to be there. I'm not even saying they shoulda won, but they deserved to be there.

January 8th, 2008, 12:57 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
USC is the tragedy in all of this... Best football team, yet soooo far from being in the BCS Championship game...

Funny, cuz that changed as a national opinion too after the Georgia game. They said USC was teh hottest team, then Georgia one and everyone changed their minds. (Obviously except you). Public opinion makes laugh sometimes. It sways with the wind and is "right" everytime...

IMO Georgia, USC, WV, and VA Tech were of the best teams in the nation. I thought LSU was a tier below that, and OSU in the 10-12 ranks (in fact I said OSU should be ranked somewhere around 12 months ago).

I have no problem with a top notch school losing against another top notch school (Georgia/USC) but a 3rd rate team playing a 2nd rate team for the national championship is terrible.

January 8th, 2008, 12:58 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

IMO Georgia, USC, WV, and VA Tech were of the best teams in the nation. I thought LSU was a tier below that, and OSU in the 10-12 ranks (in fact I said OSU should be ranked somewhere around 12 months ago).

I have no problem with a top notch school losing against another top notch school (Georgia/USC) but a 3rd rate team playing a 2nd rate team for the national championship is terrible.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't think LSU is a second rate team neither do I think OSU is a third rate team. I'd put all 6 in the top tier.

January 8th, 2008, 1:05 pm
1st Round Pick

Found this in the free press this morning. thought it was funny.

EX-LIONS: LSU-OSU began with shove from Chris Spielman, Eric Andolsek
January 8, 2008

Two former Lions were central figures in the first meeting between Ohio State and LSU. It unfolded at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La., on Sept. 26, 1987.

As Chris Spielman walked to midfield for the opening coin toss, he felt LSU captain Eric Andolsek was staring him down, trying to make him blink or avert his eyes.

"It was two highly dynamic guys, real hard competitors, who were competing even before we started playing football," Spielman said. "There's two versions to what happened, but mine is that they were trying to intimidate us down there. The next thing you know, we were interlocked. It was just a little scuffle."

It ended up being a seven-minute stalemate, with both head coaches holding their teams back.

The game ended in a 13-13 tie after LSU blocked a field goal after time expired.

The Lions selected both Spielman and Andolsek in the 1988 draft.

They spent four seasons together before Andolsek was killed after being hit by a truck in 1992.

Spielman, now a TV and radio analyst, has only one football memento in his weight room at his home in Upper Arlington, Ohio: It's a framed No. 65 Andolsek jersey.

January 8th, 2008, 1:12 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

IMO Georgia, USC, WV, and VA Tech were of the best teams in the nation.

As a WVU fan, all the emotion from the loss to Pitt came back in full force last night. Had my Mountaineers beaten Pitt, they'd be champs today. WVU would have dismantled OSU last night, no doubt in my mind.

I know...lose to Pitt and you have no right to complain...it's true. Sad for me anyway. At least we clobbered Oklahoma! :idea:

January 8th, 2008, 2:27 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

As a WVU fan, all the emotion from the loss to Pitt came back in full force last night. Had my Mountaineers beaten Pitt, they'd be champs today. WVU would have dismantled OSU last night, no doubt in my mind.

I know...lose to Pitt and you have no right to complain...it's true. Sad for me anyway. At least we clobbered Oklahoma! :idea:

I think the funny thing is, is that now everyone THINKS they have the right to complain and that OSU didn't belong, but you hit it right on the head, you lost to Pitt, you controlled your own destany.

I still can't get over how public opinion just changes left and right so crazy.

January 8th, 2008, 2:34 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I think the funny thing is, is that now everyone THINKS they have the right to complain and that OSU didn't belong, but you hit it right on the head, you lost to Pitt, you controlled your own destany.

I definitely favor a playoff b/c every year there are teams that don't control their own destiny (see Boise St. last year). But you are right on this one: WVU and Mizzou both had a chance under the current system to get into the title game and both came up short.

January 8th, 2008, 5:37 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

If they insist on playing the NC game so late there is no reason they can't keep everything the same and play an "And One Game." It would actually keep a couple of these 6-6 teams out of the bowl games where they belong. Play the games out like normal but instead of having one and two play each other have #1 paly #4 and #2 play #3. The winners of those games play in the NC game. If you are ranked #5 oh well there is probably a reason you are there if the computers, coaches, and polls say that's where you belong.

This also helps a team like OSU that doesn't play in a coference championship. It would be at least one week less that they would have off in between games. The Bowl snobs like the Rose Bowl could still keep their games and have the Pac-10 play the Big-10 as long as they aren't the designated NC Bowl for that year. There is no need to make these kids play two or three more games. One extra game is bad enough but it really is the only fair way under a BCS system.

January 8th, 2008, 6:50 pm
steensn wrote:
mwill2 wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:

I definitely favor a playoff b/c every year there are teams that don't control their own destiny (see Boise St. last year). But you are right on this one: WVU and Mizzou both had a chance under the current system to get into the title game and both came up short.

Playoff would also help get rid of TERRIBLE games like Ill. v USC as well... I'm not saying that U of M would have beat USC, but they definitely would have been a better matchup than Ill.

All in all, it just seems a better system.

Doug Carsh made a good point on the radio today, however, that the NCAA may not want to go to such a system due to tourist reasons. Currently a mass of people take the entire week off of work and go to Pasadena to watch the Rose Bowl. Those people have a month or so to plan their trip, as they know which bowl game their school is going to be in. Going to a play-off system virtually eliminates that. I don't know how much merit it has, but it is a good point.

January 8th, 2008, 6:52 pm
RIP Killer

I dont dont see a good solution that doesn't change the bowl system and ruin it IMO. Why not just have one more set of games that are not bowl games for teams 1-4? Then play two winner vs two losers in the two "championship" bowls for that year. At least that could keep the Bowl system there without ruining the bowl experiance. Thenjust make the top two teams get home field advantage for the first round of playoffs. This might help keep the allure of the season like we have now with the BCS only.

There is a compromize that can work, just have to work it out.

January 8th, 2008, 7:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2