View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 No change in Zumaya's recovery. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post No change in Zumaya's recovery.
Quote:
Not much change in Zumaya's condition

Saturday, Jan 26, 2008 10:54 am EST

Dave Dombrowski, the Detroit Tigers president and general manager, was asked Friday if Joel Zumaya appeared to be on course for a midseason return, the forecast originally offered by doctors after Zumaya had surgery the Detroit News reported.

"There is not much change," Dombrowski wrote in an e-mail from Lakeland, where he and the Tigers scouts were meeting this week. "Surgery went well and he will be in spring training, continuing his rehab with us. He will begin to toss around the first of March. His time frame remains the same, but since not much has changed since surgery, we will continue to assess as his rehab continues."

This could reasonably be interpreted as Dombrowski's way of saying: Who knows? Obviously, nothing is guaranteed when a hard-throwing pitcher's shoulder has been reconstructed, which was the scope of Zumaya's November surgery. But, again, it always seems prudent in these matters to listen to doctors.

This is just a sad situation. IMHO, Zumaya was the spark plug in the Tigers run to the 2006 World Series.

January 26th, 2008, 2:58 pm
the old outlook wasn't all that bad, and there's "no change".. I don't think this is all that terrible of news... he's still going to be in ST and he's still going to start throwing soon... I don't see what there is to be worked up about???

January 26th, 2008, 6:09 pm
Hall of Fame Player

the old outlook wasn't all that bad, and there's "no change".. I don't think this is all that terrible of news... he's still going to be in ST and he's still going to start throwing soon... I don't see what there is to be worked up about???

His success was based in large part to him being able to throw a 100+ MPH fastball. Now he is going to have to learn how to pitch at slower speeds. It's not easy to do something one way your entire life and then have to learn a whole new way to do it. Basically, his career is over before it really started.

January 26th, 2008, 6:43 pm
Heisman Winner

His success was based in large part to him being able to throw a 100+ MPH fastball. Now he is going to have to learn how to pitch at slower speeds. It's not easy to do something one way your entire life and then have to learn a whole new way to do it. Basically, his career is over before it really started.

To me his career was over when he choose to play Guitar Hero after the training staff told him he was damaging his wrist.

January 26th, 2008, 6:55 pm
Varsity Captain

wjb21ndtown wrote:

It reminds me of the whole Matt Anderson debacle.

January 26th, 2008, 6:57 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I've seen Zumaya pitch in person. The man has some decent pitches other than his fastball. His slider is very good as well. He would have had to have honed some new pitches eventually, so it is premature to say his career is over. Besides, the man is HUGE. His legs are very strong. Trust me when I tell you his fastball will not dip that much, if at all. If he goes from 100 mph to 95-96 mph, that is still dominating stuff.

Tim

January 30th, 2008, 9:38 am
Hall of Fame Player

I've seen Zumaya pitch in person. The man has some decent pitches other than his fastball. His slider is very good as well. He would have had to have honed some new pitches eventually, so it is premature to say his career is over. Besides, the man is HUGE. His legs are very strong. Trust me when I tell you his fastball will not dip that much, if at all. If he goes from 100 mph to 95-96 mph, that is still dominating stuff.

But, will he have location with a completely rebuilt pitching shoulder?

January 30th, 2008, 10:56 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

But, will he have location with a completely rebuilt pitching shoulder?

HA! Didn't think about that Billy. Why did you have to bring reason into this??! Dammit! :oops:

Tim

January 30th, 2008, 12:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]