View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 6:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Signing Day Info 
Modmin Dude

Post Signing Day Info
For those of you that may be interested:

2008 Team-by-Team Commit List

Rivals.com 2008 Team Rankings

Rivals.com Ranking by position

February 6th, 2008, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

Was an exciting day. tOSU was looking for three big time commits, didn't get either three (Harris, Jenkins, Pryor). Hat is still in the air for Pryor though.

Looking at the rankings, I've never liked them. Bascially the top 10-15 teams really are in a toss up for best class overall, because you never know how they will really turn out.

February 6th, 2008, 7:45 pm
RIP Killer

You think the NFL draft is hit or miss, HS recruiting is a big question mark. What I always like to do is go back four years and see who are now NFL prospects (if they didn't leave early):

http://www.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=464

#1 Adrian Peterson
#2 Ted Ginn Jr.
etc...

February 7th, 2008, 10:29 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

You think the NFL draft is hit or miss, HS recruiting is a big question mark. What I always like to do is go back four years and see who are now NFL prospects (if they didn't leave early):

http://www.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=464

#1 Adrian Peterson
#2 Ted Ginn Jr.
etc...

It's amazing, you look at the list and go.. who!?

February 7th, 2008, 10:35 am
Rookie Player of the Year

The things that makes these list a joke are that being a top recruiter based on what Rivals.com thinks means nothing and a lot of these kids that get drafted either switch positions and/or never live up to the hype. Every year ND, FSU, and the "U" are near the top and when was the last time they put a quality team on the field? Also as far as Pryor goes I'd like him to be everything and more like he's being hyped just as I do for any kid even the ones without hte hype but it's all a crapshoot. Remember Xavier Lee a few years back? He was Pryor back then and look how his career turned out.

February 7th, 2008, 6:13 pm
RIP Killer

The things that makes these list a joke are that being a top recruiter based on what Rivals.com thinks means nothing and a lot of these kids that get drafted either switch positions and/or never live up to the hype. Every year ND, FSU, and the "U" are near the top and when was the last time they put a quality team on the field? Also as far as Pryor goes I'd like him to be everything and more like he's being hyped just as I do for any kid even the ones without hte hype but it's all a crapshoot. Remember Xavier Lee a few years back? He was Pryor back then and look how his career turned out.

There are also good ones that where the Pryors of their datt and turned out well. I agree, it is no lock on what you are going to get, but you can't write it off either.

February 7th, 2008, 7:24 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Personally, I prefer Rivals over all the other HS scouting services, but even they can't watch every high school player across the country. What I find funny is Scout and their affiliation with ESPN. Nearly everyone else recognizes that the best HS players in the country go to the Army game, which is covered extensively by Rivals. On the other hand, Scout focuses on and over-rates the players going to the Under Armour game, which (you guessed it) is televised on ESPN. Therefore, I don't trust half the crap they throw out there. Just my two cents and something worth noting in the future.

February 8th, 2008, 1:14 am
Modmin Dude

College football: Recruiting notebook
Purdue coach cries foul at U-M

Angelique S. Chengelis and Tom Markowski / The Detroit News

Purdue coach Joe Tiller, angered that one of the recruits who had given him a verbal commitment reneged and signed with Michigan, said he's concerned about the loss of integrity among Big Ten coaches.

Tiller, entering his final season with the Boilermakers, clearly was pointing the finger at U-M coach Rich Rodriguez. Roy Roundtree, a highly-ranked receiver/kick returner, was one of 23 high school seniors who signed with Michigan on Wednesday, the first day of the national signing period.

Roundtree, of Trotwood, Ohio, had committed to Purdue last May. Tiller and his staff had recruited him for two years.

"There has been an unspoken rule that if a guy commits and you've been recruiting him hard, you always call them up and say, 'Are you sure about this?' If he says, 'Yes,' you back off," Tiller told the Indianapolis Star for Thursday's editions.

Roundtree visited Michigan last weekend, and the Wolverines made an offer shortly after. Roundtree, one of three student-athletes from Trotwood-Madison High, near Dayton, to commit to U-M, announced his change of heart in dramatic fashion. He took the placard before him during a signing-day news conference, crossed out "Purdue" and then wrote in "Michigan."

"I stayed up until 3 o'clock in the morning talking it over," Roundtree told the Dayton Daily News of his change of mind.

Michael Shaw, a running back and teammate of Roundtree's, had committed to Penn State. Shaw's change of heart led him to Michigan, as well.

"Words can't describe how I feel about Coach Rod and the staff," Shaw said. "Even though they got a late jump on me, they recruited me hard, and when they came in, they made sure they showed me I was wanted and I was important."

Tiller was especially upset that Purdue lost one of its top prospects to a Big Ten rival.

"If we had an early signing date, you wouldn't have another outfit with a guy in a wizard hat selling snake oil get a guy at the last minute, but that's what happened," Tiller said.

Football does not allow high school players to sign a letter-of-intent before their senior season. Tiller is among coaches campaigning for an early signing day, the Star reported.

No second fiddle

Trotwood-Madison quarterback Domonick Britt reneged on a commitment to Cincinnati but signed with Jackson State. He told the Dayton Daily News that Michigan did not offer but was interested in case Terrelle Pryor , the standout quarterback recruit from Jeannette, Pa., went elsewhere.

"I didn't want to wait to be somebody's second choice," Britt said.

Final rankings

Scout.com left Michigan at No. 8, where the Wolverines' class was ranked nationally late Wednesday. Rivals.com moved U-M from No. 9 to No. 10. Tom Lemming of CSTV and Prep Football Report has U-M No. 12, down from No. 11.

"Michigan didn't gain anything on signing day," Lemming said.

"They got a lot good players but not any super ones."

February 8th, 2008, 6:02 pm
RIP Killer

Classless, but that is what we have come to expect out of Ann Arbor be it paying basketball recruits, stealing football recruits, or trying to steal coaches who have just signed long-term deals with their current schools.

I'm glad their is at least one big time program in the STATE that continues to do it the right way...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :lol:

February 8th, 2008, 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

Classless, but that is what we have come to expect out of Ann Arbor be it paying basketball recruits, stealing football recruits, or trying to steal coaches who have just signed long-term deals with their current schools.

I'm glad their is at least one big time program in the STATE that continues to do it the right way...

Sorry, I just couldn't resist! :lol:

There is a right way to LOSE?

February 14th, 2008, 1:13 pm
RIP Killer

There is a right way to LOSE?

Well there certainly is a right way to WIN! And I guess the right way to lose is when your football team becomes the first ranked team to lose to a Division 2 team (in front over over 100K fans at home).

MSU went to a bowl game in case you forgot, they will be a participant in March Madness, and are coming off the national championship in hockey. I find it odd you are using the word "lose" with State right now?

February 14th, 2008, 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

For many of us its tough Pablo, MSU and LOSE are synonymous :lol: :wink:

February 14th, 2008, 1:42 pm
RIP Killer

For many of us its tough Pablo, MSU and LOSE are synonymous :lol: :wink:

Well you may need to wear my green shaded sunglasses and drink some...

February 14th, 2008, 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]