View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 7:35 am



Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Pryor's cousin trying to convince him to join UM 
Author Message
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3125
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
I don't care which school he goes to, so I'm kind of an impartial observer here. From what I can tell, I can't blame the kid. There's so much attention paid to all of this, and he's still just a kid. My understanding was that he basically said that he wanted to wait until after the basketball season was done so he could just concentrate on that. And it seems that is exactly what he did. His team won the state championship in basketball, and then he made his announcement after that. I don't get what all the indignation is about? I get the rivalry and not wanting to lose out on a top recruit to your rival, but how did this kid do anything wrong here? What am I missing?


March 19th, 2008, 2:11 pm
Profile
Post 
Steen, every ego manianc and/or drama queen has a "reason" or "excuse" to explain away their behavior. No one comes and says "I love attention" and/or "I'm a self-righteous tool." I really don't see how putting this thing off aided his basketball team at all, or his ability to play for them.


March 19th, 2008, 2:13 pm
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I don't care which school he goes to, so I'm kind of an impartial observer here. From what I can tell, I can't blame the kid. There's so much attention paid to all of this, and he's still just a kid. My understanding was that he basically said that he wanted to wait until after the basketball season was done so he could just concentrate on that. And it seems that is exactly what he did. His team won the state championship in basketball, and then he made his announcement after that. I don't get what all the indignation is about? I get the rivalry and not wanting to lose out on a top recruit to your rival, but how did this kid do anything wrong here? What am I missing?


TDJ... While "waiting to help his team" he made multiple visits to multiple campuses while getting attention poured all over him. He was photographed next to expensive vehicles (Corvette and Yukon or Escalade), he got into an argument at an OSU basketball game (threatening a fist fight), and he told multiple people he was going to go to X school (he made comments to individuals that he was going to go to their school). He didn't just "wait until the season was over"... He made a spectical of himself throughout the process.


March 19th, 2008, 2:18 pm
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Steen, every ego manianc and/or drama queen has a "reason" or "excuse" to explain away their behavior. No one comes and says "I love attention" and/or "I'm a self-righteous tool." I really don't see how putting this thing off aided his basketball team at all, or his ability to play for them.


Well, the fact that he skipped being able to get awards and making all his visits so he could keep his commitment to play basketball.

Quote:
When Pryor didn't sign a letter-of-intent on National Signing Day on Feb. 5, he said he needed more time to decide and wanted to concentrate on the basketball season.

Pryor helped Jeannette win its first WPIAL and PIAA basketball titles.

Jeannette basketball coach Jim Nesser said the team and Pryor have gone through a lot of distractions.

"I don't think people realize the commitment he made for this basketball team," Nesser said. "He made only one or two official visits because he didn't want to miss practice. He had a chance to win the Maxwell Award in Atlantic City, and he didn't go because he was worried about missing practice before a state playoff game.

"He's made a lot of sacrifices for our team because he loves the kids he plays with, and he loves the game. A lot of people write the negative things about the kid, but he's a great teammate."

Pryor did miss a week during the season to play football in the U.S. All-American Game but did not attend to banquets in New York City, Atlanta and Atlantic City to receive football awards.

"He can't accomplish anymore as an athlete," Nesser said. "It's time for him to move on and accomplish bigger and better things. He has a great future ahead of him, he's a great kid, and he's been fun to coach. I enjoyed being around him for the last two years."

Pryor said the recruiting process was fun but also annoying at times.


http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/sports/college/s_557812.html

He sacrificed a TON and basically kept his mouth shut after signing day. Call it what you wish, but ALL the media attention what not from Pryor's initiation. for being an "ego manianc and/or drama queen," he sure hasn't acted like one... he sacrificed for the basketball team, something non of us know one thing about...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 19th, 2008, 2:27 pm
Profile
Post 
Giving up a few meaningless awards (especially when he knew he was the #1 recruit in the nation), and skipping out on a few banquets is not a "TON" in my book. Like I said, he could have made this process a lot easier. Also, the B-ball coach either 1) doesn't know what he's talking about, or 2) is lying to protect his player. We know for a fact that Prior made more than "1 or 2" visits to campuses.


March 19th, 2008, 2:34 pm
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3125
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I don't care which school he goes to, so I'm kind of an impartial observer here. From what I can tell, I can't blame the kid. There's so much attention paid to all of this, and he's still just a kid. My understanding was that he basically said that he wanted to wait until after the basketball season was done so he could just concentrate on that. And it seems that is exactly what he did. His team won the state championship in basketball, and then he made his announcement after that. I don't get what all the indignation is about? I get the rivalry and not wanting to lose out on a top recruit to your rival, but how did this kid do anything wrong here? What am I missing?


TDJ... While "waiting to help his team" he made multiple visits to multiple campuses while getting attention poured all over him. He was photographed next to expensive vehicles (Corvette and Yukon or Escalade), he got into an argument at an OSU basketball game (threatening a fist fight), and he told multiple people he was going to go to X school (he made comments to individuals that he was going to go to their school). He didn't just "wait until the season was over"... He made a spectical of himself throughout the process.

From what I've read, he visited two schools. UM and OSU. As for the pictures and/or media attention, he doesn't necessarily have control over all that. And besides, he's a kid. Sometimes kids make mistakes. Not to mention the fact that this kind of stuff almost always happens with the #1 overall recruit. In my opinion, if he had signed with UM you wouldn't be saying any of this stuff.

EDIT:

wjb, how do you know for a fact that he made more than 1 or 2 visits? He said he only visited UM and OSU (again, from what I've read). The stories I've seen said he was originally planning to visit Oregon as well, and his dad wanted him to consider PSU. But in the end, he only visited those 2 schools. If you have information that shows otherwise, I'd be interested to hear it.


March 19th, 2008, 2:35 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
He made visits but DIDN'T miss practices or games. He made a couple of more trips for a half day to a day to OSU because it is like a 5 hr drive I've heard. To visit Oregon would take a whole weekend and he would miss practices and games, of which he made a commitment to do. To me, a premadonna would do things for himself, like take a FREE trip to Oregon not have basketball practice... :roll:

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 19th, 2008, 2:44 pm
Profile
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
I don't care which school he goes to, so I'm kind of an impartial observer here. From what I can tell, I can't blame the kid. There's so much attention paid to all of this, and he's still just a kid. My understanding was that he basically said that he wanted to wait until after the basketball season was done so he could just concentrate on that. And it seems that is exactly what he did. His team won the state championship in basketball, and then he made his announcement after that. I don't get what all the indignation is about? I get the rivalry and not wanting to lose out on a top recruit to your rival, but how did this kid do anything wrong here? What am I missing?


TDJ... While "waiting to help his team" he made multiple visits to multiple campuses while getting attention poured all over him. He was photographed next to expensive vehicles (Corvette and Yukon or Escalade), he got into an argument at an OSU basketball game (threatening a fist fight), and he told multiple people he was going to go to X school (he made comments to individuals that he was going to go to their school). He didn't just "wait until the season was over"... He made a spectical of himself throughout the process.


From what I've read, he visited two schools. UM and OSU. As for the pictures and/or media attention, he doesn't necessarily have control over all that. And besides, he's a kid. Sometimes kids make mistakes. Not to mention the fact that this kind of stuff almost always happens with the #1 overall recruit. In my opinion, if he had signed with UM you wouldn't be saying any of this stuff.

EDIT:

wjb, how do you know for a fact that he made more than 1 or 2 visits? He said he only visited UM and OSU (again, from what I've read). The stories I've seen said he was originally planning to visit Oregon as well, and his dad wanted him to consider PSU. But in the end, he only visited those 2 schools. If you have information that shows otherwise, I'd be interested to hear it.


TDJ... I've been saying for the last 3 + weeks that I didn't want him... That wouldn't have changed if we got him, I don't like him.

It's not that he made more than 1-2 visits because he visited more than 1-2 schools, but he visited both U of M and OSU more than once, hence, more than 1-2 visitis. It was at least three, but I think it was four or more visits that he actually made in total. He also visited Penn State, from what I heard, he just didn't meet with the football program. He went there for a basketball game.

You can call the posing next to and inside vehicles a "stupid kid move" if you want, and I'd agree... I just don't want someone who is letting all this attention get to him to the point where he's making these "stupid" mistakes.


March 19th, 2008, 2:53 pm
Post 
steensn wrote:
He made visits but DIDN'T miss practices or games. He made a couple of more trips for a half day to a day to OSU because it is like a 5 hr drive I've heard. To visit Oregon would take a whole weekend and he would miss practices and games, of which he made a commitment to do. To me, a premadonna would do things for himself, like take a FREE trip to Oregon not have basketball practice... :roll:


That's all well and good, but that's not what his coach said... He didn't say his missed practices 1 or 2 times, he said "he only made 1 or 2 visits"...

IDK... A "FREE" trip to Oregon doesn't seem all that special to me...


March 19th, 2008, 2:55 pm
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3125
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TDJ... I've been saying for the last 3 + weeks that I didn't want him... That wouldn't have changed if we got him, I don't like him.

It's not that he made more than 1-2 visits because he visited more than 1-2 schools, but he visited both U of M and OSU more than once, hence, more than 1-2 visitis. It was at least three, but I think it was four or more visits that he actually made in total. He also visited Penn State, from what I heard, he just didn't meet with the football program. He went there for a basketball game.

You can call the posing next to and inside vehicles a "stupid kid move" if you want, and I'd agree... I just don't want someone who is letting all this attention get to him to the point where he's making these "stupid" mistakes.

Wow, I guess you'd better check out all the recruits at UM too then and see if any of them did similar things or were cocky during their recruiting process. After all, you wouldn't want them either, would you?

I'll stick by my story that if he signed with UM, you'd think he was ok. Besides, most elite athletes are so coddled and told their poop don't stink so much that they start to believe it. I can't really blame an 18 year old kid for being influenced by it. Also, I don't see how visiting each school more than once is a negative. Isn't it just maybe possible that he really wasn't sure where he wanted to go, and needed the extra visits to make up his mind? Sheesh, give the kid a break.


March 19th, 2008, 2:58 pm
Profile
Post 
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
TDJ... I've been saying for the last 3 + weeks that I didn't want him... That wouldn't have changed if we got him, I don't like him.

It's not that he made more than 1-2 visits because he visited more than 1-2 schools, but he visited both U of M and OSU more than once, hence, more than 1-2 visitis. It was at least three, but I think it was four or more visits that he actually made in total. He also visited Penn State, from what I heard, he just didn't meet with the football program. He went there for a basketball game.

You can call the posing next to and inside vehicles a "stupid kid move" if you want, and I'd agree... I just don't want someone who is letting all this attention get to him to the point where he's making these "stupid" mistakes.


Wow, I guess you'd better check out all the recruits at UM too then and see if any of them did similar things or were cocky during their recruiting process. After all, you wouldn't want them either, would you?

I'll stick by my story that if he signed with UM, you'd think he was ok. Besides, most elite athletes are so coddled and told their poop don't stink so much that they start to believe it. I can't really blame an 18 year old kid for being influenced by it. Also, I don't see how visiting each school more than once is a negative. Isn't it just maybe possible that he really wasn't sure where he wanted to go, and needed the extra visits to make up his mind? Sheesh, give the kid a break.


You can think that I would have been happy we got him if you want to, but trust me, that's not the case. Once I'm done with someone, I'm done with them...

I really don't think the other U of M grads had a chance to behave the way he did. They didn't have the press around them, or the chance to... That said, had they done so, no, I wouldn't have wanted them either.


Read McDuffie's recruiting story... That's a football player...


And, Pryor was welcome to make multiple visits, just don't say you're "doing it for the love of your basketball team" and make a spectical of yourself in the process. He could have made multiple visits before signing day and had his stuff straight, without taking away from his basketball championship. He chose not to. He chose to wait until his team was in the thick of things, and he then couldn't do it. He chose to put off signing and he chose to go about his recruitment in a different way than EVERY SINGLE OTHER HIGH SCHOOL KID. And, it wasn't all for his "love of basketball." :roll:


March 19th, 2008, 3:03 pm
Div 1 - Starter

Joined: December 13th, 2005, 2:09 pm
Posts: 529
Post 
It's my opinion that Pryor didn't say much, but he delayed signing to get the extra attention. Yes, attention.

He didn't say anything, but there were the news blurbs from coaches and family members. That is all (again, my opinion) orchestrated by family and friends to benefit the player and with the player's knowledge and approval. Never once did I see any coach or family member say "Terelle asked us all to just shut up and let him enjoy his basketball season, and he will make his decision when he said he would."

I would have liked him to come to Michigan, but I don't for a minute believe they he delayed because he wanted more time. He wanted more attention.

Now that he's a Buckeye I hope Michigan's defense hits him so hard his grandkids are born with headaches.

_________________
If God isn't a Lions fan, then why is the sky Honolulu Blue?


March 19th, 2008, 3:11 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
wjb, the other kids miss practice to make these trips. Pryor didn't want to miss any practices. To say a free trip to Oregon isn't a big deal, you are in complete denial!!!

This taking a picture next to a cool car and calling it attention grabbing is just plain stupidity. How many 18 yr old kids who have a chance to grab a picture of themselves next to a cool car DON'T take a picture.

This whole discussion is just plain stupid because no one can tell me what Pryor actually DID to cause attention. He didn't go to all the big magazines and TV stations looking for interviews. He didn't miss practice accept for the All American Game Week. He didn't make a spectacle of himself.

What did he do might we ask? He did visit LESS times and less schools than most recruits. He did keep his commitment to his basketball team and did everything he could to help lead them to a state title. He did EVERYTHING a team player who cared about his committments should do.

You want to compare him to other recruits and call him a bad person? First you have to convvince someone that that is the minimum level a recruit has to meet and anything else is considered scum.

So if you look at what he did and didn't do, almost all of it reflects the statements from his coach, his father, and himself. You have to call everyone involved in the whole thing a liar, even the coaches of the schools involved in his recruiting to hold the position that you do. You have to stand on your own without any facts supporting your claim that Pryor is a bad person.

I'm tired of people who don't even know the kid and havn't been involved in any part of his life, even a second hand knowledge, calling him a bad person. It is just stupid...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 19th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
JL wrote:
It's my opinion that Pryor didn't say much, but he delayed signing to get the extra attention. Yes, attention.

He didn't say anything, but there were the news blurbs from coaches and family members. That is all (again, my opinion) orchestrated by family and friends to benefit the player and with the player's knowledge and approval. Never once did I see any coach or family member say "Terelle asked us all to just shut up and let him enjoy his basketball season, and he will make his decision when he said he would."

I would have liked him to come to Michigan, but I don't for a minute believe they he delayed because he wanted more time. He wanted more attention.

Now that he's a Buckeye I hope Michigan's defense hits him so hard his grandkids are born with headaches.


But who are we to judge a kid in a negative light when we don't know for an instant that it was "with Terrel's approval" that his family and coaches get the attention FOR him. I think it is rediculous and completely UNFAIR and a terrible sign that our society is willing to demonize the kid for not doing anything wrong and trying to do things right.

Does anyone realize that everyone here is nitpicking things to show he didn;t do everything perfectly or to their own liking, so he must be a bad person just looking for attention? Not one person here has shown that Terrel has done ANYTHING to garner true critism about his actions. All of it is BS speculation that he neither deserves nor has he earned.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 19th, 2008, 3:32 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post 
wjb21ndtown wrote:
JL wrote:
Quote:
Pryor said Oregon was too far away and Penn State too rural. He said he liked Michigan and new coach Rich Rodriguez, but felt that he has a better shot at making it to the NFL by going to Ohio State.


Yeah, following the footsteps of all those other great OSU QBs in the NFL. Like uh... or... uhm... gimme a minute. Uh.. Harbaugh? No wait Brady? Uh... Grbac?... Todd Collins? Brian Greise? wait... uh... Drew Henson no... ah.... Chad Henne! Oh wait.

Yeah, Ohio State. The Cradle of Quarterbacks.... NOT.

Sure I'm disappointed, but if that kid is so stupid that he can't check the pedigree of Michigan QBs in the NFL vs. Ohio States, maybe he's not as smart as needed to handle Coach Rodriguez's spread offense after all.

All he needed to say was "I felt most comfortable with Ohio State." and let it drop.


U just wait Troy Smith is going to be a GREAT NFL Qb!!!... Urr ummmm maybe WR!!!??? Urr ummm player???


Yeah, I would agree with the sarcasm if UM didn't switch to the spread offense. UM "USED" to be a QB school for the NFL. They ran an offense under Carr that fit getting QB's ready for the NFL. Well, now they went the system that hurts future NFL QB's.

And why did you mention Henson, Henne, and Greise? I thought you were trying to make you case? Lol...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


March 19th, 2008, 3:42 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.