View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Top 25 player rankings for 2008 
RIP Killer

Post Top 25 player rankings for 2008
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=381664

Quote:
Ranking college football's best players
E-MAIL PRINT COMMENTS 126 WATCH THIS TOPIC
Posted: March 13, 2008

We've hit the teams, we've hit the coaches. Now it's time for my annual spring top 25 ranking of the game's best players. This ranking has nothing to do with the following: NFL draft status, NFL measureables, a player's worth to his respective team, team potential for the 2008 season or last year's award winners.

It's a list of the best players in the game, pure and simple. Now, on with the countdown:

Rk. Name Pos. College
1. Pat White QB West Virginia
2. Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
3. Andre Smith OT Alabama
4. Knowshon Moreno RB Georgia
5. Tim Tebow QB Florida
6. James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State
7. C.J. Spiller RB Clemson
8. Percy Harvin WR Florida
9. Chase Daniel QB Missouri
10. Sean Lee LB Penn State
11. George Selvie DE South Florida
12. Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
13. Rey Maualuga LB USC
14. Vontae Davis CB Illinois
15. Chris Wells RB Ohio State
16. Sen'Derrick Marks DT Auburn
17. Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
18. Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
19. Michael Oher OL Ole Miss
20. Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
21. Matt Stafford QB Georgia
22. Reggie Carter LB UCLA
23. Myron Rolle S Florida State
24. Duke Robinson G Oklahoma
25. Taylor Mays S USC

Interesting he didn't have Tebow as the number one player even though he won the Heisman last year. Does that make sense to anyone else? Also, Wells from OSU will def be a Heisman canidate and he is ranked 15th? Below other players that won't even be considered?

I don't think I'm a fan of these rankings...

March 27th, 2008, 10:46 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Both Tebow And Harvin should be ranked higher.

Tim

March 27th, 2008, 11:01 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I have a problem with these rankings, but for a different reason. I can't look at a college player as just a college player. I always look at his NFL potential instead. Sorry, but I just can't help myself and have been doing it for about 15 years now. Because of this, I toss out running QBs, smurf WRs in spread offenses, big/slow run stuffing LBs, and undersized DEs and CBs. It isn't fair to the top college players, but that's what I have a tendency to do.

March 27th, 2008, 12:17 pm
RIP Killer

I have a problem with these rankings, but for a different reason. I can't look at a college player as just a college player. I always look at his NFL potential instead. Sorry, but I just can't help myself and have been doing it for about 15 years now. Because of this, I toss out running QBs, smurf WRs in spread offenses, big/slow run stuffing LBs, and undersized DEs and CBs. It isn't fair to the top college players, but that's what I have a tendency to do.

Good thing you don't have a vote in the Heisman race then huh? lol...

You pretty much just eliminated half the top college players! Am I guessing you are not much of a college football fan?

March 27th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Steensn, I actually love college football and watch it for 10-12 hours every Saturday during the season. But, I view it more as a free farm system for the NFL than anything else. With that said, I enjoy watching the athletic QB running the option or the 160 pound scat back going 80 yards for a score, but that doesn't make them one of the best players in the country. A lot of times, it's the system that makes the player appear better than what he actually is and many people apparently don't take that into consideration.

Look at Hawaii for instance. And yes, I do watch them on occasion at 2 AM. In that crazy offense, any QB or WR that they plug in will put up monster stats. That doesn't make them one of the best players in the country though.

March 27th, 2008, 2:47 pm
RIP Killer

Fair enough, matters how you look at it. To me, I feel production in a larger school makes you one of the best players in college, prostyle or not. So IMO Tebo gets the top spot due to the fact he has more TD that any other college player by FAR. He is probably going to have more rushing TD's and more passing TD's than any other college RB and QB combo combined. Heck, more than some schools combined!

March 27th, 2008, 3:28 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Top 25 player rankings for 2008
steensn wrote:

14. Vontae Davis CB Illinois

Pardon the homerism ... but did you see this guy chase down Joe McKnight of USC in the Rose Bowl? McKnight has world-class speed, and Davis chased him down like he was standing still... :shock:

Of course his brother Vernon has some speed, so I guess it runs in the family.

Nice CB prospect for 2009 draft...

March 29th, 2008, 11:45 am
Pop Warner Rookie

How is Hayward-Bey not on that list??? He is definitely one of the top 2-3 WR's in the country.

August 21st, 2008, 3:31 pm
RIP Killer

I look at it the same way, I'd probably rank Matt Stafford at the top of my QB list and he is ranked last on this list.

August 21st, 2008, 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I don't care much about the NFL when watching college football. With that said, I'm an admitted WVU homer, so I'm all for Pat White at the #1 spot. Even Tommy Tuberville, who of course faces Tebow, recently said that White is the best player in the country.

There aren't many sportswriters gutsy enough to show WVU any real love, so seeing White's name at the top surprises me but I think it is right. White got knocked out of the only two games that WVU lost last year; if he played those entire games, WVU would have gone 13-0 and won the national championship. I know it's moot since it didn't happen but my point is that Pat White is a winner. For three years, I've watched him strap an above-average team on his back and make them dangerous.

Plus, barring injury, he will become the #1 rushing QB in NCAA history this year. :idea:

August 22nd, 2008, 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]