View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2014, 9:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Boren leaves U-M football team 
RIP Killer

Post Boren leaves U-M football team
Quote:
Boren leaves U-M football team
by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News
Wednesday March 26, 2008, 5:58 AM
The University of Michigan football team has lost its most experienced offensive lineman.

Coach Rich Rodriguez told reporters Tuesday evening that guard Justin Boren left the Wolverines, but would not elaborate on the reasons for the departure.

"Justin Boren has decided not to play," he said. "I don't know if we'll have any more (attrition), but we're forging ahead with guys that play for Michigan."

The son of former Michigan linebacker Mike Boren, Justin Boren was one of two returning starters on the line, along with tackle Steve Schilling. Boren, who would have been a junior at Michigan this fall, started every game last season, either at center or left guard.

After Michigan's first spring practice 10 days ago, Boren was one of three Michigan players made available for interviews. At the time, Boren didn't voice concerns about the changes being introduced by Rodriguez, who's in his first year as Michigan coach.

Though Boren said adapting to Rodriguez's no-huddle spread offense was physically challenging, he praised the work being done by new strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis.

"Coach Barwis, as far as I'm concerned, is the best in the business," Boren said. "We already have gotten a lot stronger in the couple weeks we've been doing it."

Boren, a native of the Columbus, Ohio area, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

With Boren now out of the mix, Rodriguez acknowledged that depth problems on the offensive line will be even more pronounced.

"We lost some experienced guys through attrition and graduation and that's unfortunate," he said. "That's certainly not what we choose to have. ... You want guys to stay and develop 'em and teach 'em the system. That always affects you, but at the same time you've gotta work with the guys that you're gonna have and want to buy into the system."

Six offensive linemen will join Michigan as incoming freshmen over the summer, and Rodriguez said he'll be looking to see if any of them can contribute right away.

"Normally you wouldn't have a true freshman in the two-deep on the O-line," he said. "But this year just by coming here, showing up, they'll be on it. Hopefully a couple of them will step up."

Spring game site
With Michigan Stadium under construction, Saline High School will host the Wolverines' final spring practice on April 12, Rodriguez said. Though the details haven't been finalized, the coach said he didn't envision the event being open to the public.

Rodriguez added that the team will conduct outdoor practices at Pioneer High School, perhaps as early as this week, weather permitting. Michigan's outdoor practice fields have been torn up to make way for a new indoor facility.

That has gotta sting! I still think it will be 2 years before Michigan can contend as a top rated school and this only strengthens my thoughts on this.

March 26th, 2008, 9:53 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I was hearing rumblings about this the other day, but I still don't know why. What sucks is that it seems like Rodriguez is cleaning house faster than Marinelli is. It looks like it's gonna be a long year, but atleast the defense should be able to keep them in most games.

March 26th, 2008, 10:34 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Is it me, or does Rodriguez seem like a prick with every guy that has chose to leave? I know he is suppose to be an example, but why does he completely blow off every player that has chosen to leave?

Tim

March 26th, 2008, 3:51 pm
RIP Killer

I've heard he just is a big jerk overall from some WV folk.

March 26th, 2008, 4:00 pm

Departing U-M lineman blasts program
Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News
Offensive lineman Justin Boren received his release papers from the Michigan football team and issued a statement regarding his departure from the Wolverines.

Boren, the Wolverines' most experienced returning lineman, left the team on Monday, a day before the team's fifth spring practice under new coach Rich Rodriguez.

"I regret leaving behind my friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right," Boren said in a statement released Wednesday afternoon. "I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or lost, whether things were going well or times were tough.

"Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from (former) Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together. I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. That same helmet, that I was raised on and proudly claimed for the last two years, now brings a completely different emotion to me, one that interferes with practicing and playing my best and mentally preparing for what is required.

"That I am unable to perform under these circumstances at the level I expect of myself, and my teammates and Michigan fans deserve, is why I have made the decision to leave. To those of you outside the program, the loyal Michigan fans and alumni, I know you will have trouble understanding, but I do want to thank you for your years of support. I wish my teammates the best and will always be proud to have been a part of Michigan football over the past two years."

Mike Boren, Justin's father and a former Michigan player, would not discuss further his son's plans. Justin Boren is expected to finish the semester at Michigan before transferring.

Boren, a projected starter at left guard this fall as a junior, was the most experienced of Michigan's returning linemen. He started 14 games and played in 18 during his career. He informed Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez on Monday that he would not be returning.

"We're forging ahead with the guys who play for Michigan," Rodriguez said Tuesday night when asked about Boren, adding he only talks about those who play for Michigan.

Boren joins Alex Mitchell and Jeremy Ciulla as offensive linemen who have chosen not to return this year. That means on a team that will be down in terms of scholarship numbers, this is a position group lean in numbers and certainly in experience.

I know this is only 1 player, but this disturbs me to no end. It is way, way to early to say a mistake in hiring was made, but Coach Rod has not endeered himself to me yet. Hopefully this is just one bad apple and things will strighten out by themselves.

Tim

March 27th, 2008, 8:37 am
RIP Killer

Boren considering OSU after departing Michigan
Thursday, March 27, 2008 3:21 AM
By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

JOHN T. GREILICK | THE DETROIT NEWS
Justin Boren, center, a graduate of Pickerington North and son of a Wolverine player, is the third offensive lineman to leave Michigan this offseason.

One week after beating out Michigan for top quarterback prospect Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State found itself in the running yesterday for Michigan lineman Justin Boren, who announced he's leaving the Wolverines.

Boren, a Pickerington North graduate who started for the Wolverines as a sophomore last season, released a statement in which he criticized the atmosphere under new coach Rich Rodriguez. Boren's father, Mike, a former Michigan captain and linebacker, supported his son's decision.

"Ohio State would be a good fit for Justin, and that's why he's not at Michigan anymore, because Michigan is not the right fit for him," said Mike Boren, who played under Bo Schembechler in the early 1980s.

"I have not talked to Ohio State and I'm not sure about their situation. … But would he go to Ohio State? Yes. The only two schools he seriously considered three years ago were Ohio State and Michigan, and he almost went to Ohio State even then."

One thing seems certain. Justin Boren isn't going to play for Michigan anymore. Consider his prepared statement:

"I regret leaving behind my (Michigan) friends and teammates, but I need to stand up for what I know is right.

"I wore the winged helmet with pride, whether we won or lost, whether things were going well or times were tough. Michigan football was a family, built on mutual respect and support for each other from Coach (Lloyd) Carr on down. We knew it took the entire family, a team effort, and we all worked together.

"I have great trouble accepting that those family values have eroded in just a few months. That same helmet, that I was raised on and proudly claimed for the last two years, now brings a completely different emotion to me, one that interferes with practicing and playing my best and mentally preparing for what is required. …

"I wish my teammates the best and will always be proud to have been a part of Michigan football over the past two years."

Rodriguez was terse in his reaction, much as he was when quarterback Ryan Mallett -- who was projected to be the starter before Carr retired -- transferred to Arkansas.

"I only talk about the guys who play for Michigan," Rodriguez told The Detroit News.

Two other offensive linemen, Alex Mitchell and Jeremy Ciulla, also have left the program.

Boren plans to finish the semester at Michigan. By transferring, he would have to sit out the 2008 season but would have two years of eligibility remaining. If he transfers to Ohio State, he would not be eligible for a scholarship under Big Ten rules.

The Buckeyes are recruiting his younger brother Zach, an outside linebacker at Pickerington North who will be a senior this fall.

"Three years ago, if I had seen in a crystal ball that the whole coaching staff was going to change halfway through his career, I would have never let Justin go to Michigan. I would have told him to go to Ohio State," Mike Boren said. "I'm disappointed and I'm hurt because my wife and I both graduated from the University of Michigan. I didn't want this to happen; it's the last thing I wanted to happen.

"But, basically, the bottom line is you have to look out for your kid and what is best for him."

Looks like the rumors are somewhat true. I heard from several places that Boren was leaving due to the change in the classyness of the coaching staff. Can't blame a guy for standing up for his morals, even if you don't agree with them.

What makes it worse is if he were to transfer to OSU.

Last edited by steensn on March 27th, 2008, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 27th, 2008, 8:54 am

Somebody shoot me please.....

Tim

March 27th, 2008, 9:03 am
Quote:

LoL... I think it's hilarious that he says that he left because the "family environment" erroded... Then he goes to the damn Clanton's or Capulet's... That's like calling someone a bitch and them smacking you back... Who proved who right there!???

March 27th, 2008, 9:11 am
RIP Killer

TADOne wrote:
Quote:

LoL... I think it's hilarious that he says that he left because the "family environment" erroded... Then he goes to the damn Clanton's or Capulet's... That's like calling someone a bitch and them smacking you back... Who proved who right there!???

Huh?

March 27th, 2008, 9:24 am
RIP Killer

Just a note, if he did transfer to OSU, he would not be allowed to accept a scolly. But if I remember right, his dad is a big time contractor and could easily foot the bill if that is where his son truely wanted to transfer to.

March 27th, 2008, 10:39 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I'm pretty sure that to transfer to another school in-conference he would need to get Michigan's approval, and they would never approve OSU.

The more believable rumor I've seen around the internet is a transfer to Cincy.

March 28th, 2008, 1:49 am
Junior Varsity

Michigan and Rodriguez gave him an unconditional release. He can go to osu, but he has to sit one year (NCAA rule) and he has to pay his own way for transferring in conference (Big Ten rule). A pretty fair deal for him, and given to him before he felt the need to make that press release.

March 28th, 2008, 5:00 pm
Michigan and Rodriguez gave him an unconditional release. He can go to osu, but he has to sit one year (NCAA rule) and he has to pay his own way for transferring in conference (Big Ten rule). A pretty fair deal for him, and given to him before he felt the need to make that press release.

Given the fact that he's a junior, he must not lose the year of elgibility then, right? What's he going to do though... Just spend a year taking 1/2 time credits or something and wait until next year to play? That seems kinda odd to me... Still, if he is allowed to do as I have suggested, it might be HUGE for him... If he's able to spend a year weight training and learning technique he may be one of the best OG's in the big 10 the following year...

March 28th, 2008, 5:02 pm
RIP Killer

fetumpsh wrote:

Given the fact that he's a junior, he must not lose the year of elgibility then, right? What's he going to do though... Just spend a year taking 1/2 time credits or something and wait until next year to play? That seems kinda odd to me... Still, if he is allowed to do as I have suggested, it might be HUGE for him... If he's able to spend a year weight training and learning technique he may be one of the best OG's in the big 10 the following year...

I dont think it will hurt him at all. He has a whole year to get bigger like you said, then he can go play ball for his last year. What is the negative for him?

March 28th, 2008, 6:07 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

Didn't OSU supposedly have one of the best OL recruit classes this year like ever? Why would Boren want to go and compete against that?

March 28th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next