View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Boren leaves U-M football team 
RIP Killer

Didn't OSU supposedly have one of the best OL recruit classes this year like ever? Why would Boren want to go and compete against that?

Good question, if he thinks he can hold his own then why not?

March 28th, 2008, 10:16 pm
QB Coach

I don't know about y'all but I've got a very bad feeling the Michigan just signed the West Virginia version of Nick Saban. The fact that he abandoned his team with one game to go, (a bowl game at that), and now looking at how solid players are jumping ship, something is DESPERATELY WRONG.

I may have to join up with my wife and start rooting for the Green and White, at least there coach has character.

As a Wolverine fan this makes me sick to see this kind of stuff coming, so much for character eh?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

March 29th, 2008, 4:55 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
fetumpsh wrote:
Michigan and Rodriguez gave him an unconditional release. He can go to osu, but he has to sit one year (NCAA rule) and he has to pay his own way for transferring in conference (Big Ten rule). A pretty fair deal for him, and given to him before he felt the need to make that press release.

Given the fact that he's a junior, he must not lose the year of elgibility then, right? What's he going to do though... Just spend a year taking 1/2 time credits or something and wait until next year to play? That seems kinda odd to me... Still, if he is allowed to do as I have suggested, it might be HUGE for him... If he's able to spend a year weight training and learning technique he may be one of the best OG's in the big 10 the following year...

I dont think it will hurt him at all. He has a whole year to get bigger like you said, then he can go play ball for his last year. What is the negative for him?

Steen, I think you are seriously discounting the effects of sitting out an entire year of football... I don't know the NCAA rules, or whether or not he will be allowed to practice, but even if he is, there is a world of difference between practicing and playing.

And to my point earlier... (the one you said "huh?" to)... Boren wants to talk about U of M abandoning it's "family" atmosphere, and his reasons for saying that centered around breaking ties with familial allegences... Then he goes and decides to go to the arch enemy of the team he's leaving... Who's the unloyal one there, and should U of M be loyal to such a person???

Doc... To ease your fears some...

I have heard that Boren left U of M for two reasons...
1) That he couldn't keep up with the no huddle/spread offense that Rich Rod wanted to run, and

2) That Rich Rod wanted nothing to do with recruiting Boren's younger brother.

From what I understand the 2nd reason was the main reason Boren jumped ship. His father played for U of M, he was currently playing for U of M, and he wanted his brother to go there too. Allegedly his younger brother is less of an athlete than he is, and coach Rod wants nothing to do with him... I don't blame him... I wouldn't want to be bent over and told who I had to recruit and who I had to offer a scholarship to, and I damn sure wouldn't want one of my 20 yr old players telling me to do it...

With that bit of insight I'm disappointed that he left because not having vetrans on the OL is surely going to hurt, but I'm comfortable with the circumstances under which he left...

March 31st, 2008, 12:00 am
RIP Killer

Will, remember that those are all rumors nad there really isn't anything to back it up. And the loyalty thing? Come on... he grew up right outside Columbus and was almost a Columbus commit. This is a huge loss for UM. Boren may not be Jake Long but he was an all big ten honorable mention as a sophmore. That is pretty good for somone not "willing to work hard."

March 31st, 2008, 7:07 am
Will, remember that those are all rumors nad there really isn't anything to back it up. And the loyalty thing? Come on... he grew up right outside Columbus and was almost a Columbus commit. This is a huge loss for UM. Boren may not be Jake Long but he was an all big ten honorable mention as a sophmore. That is pretty good for somone not "willing to work hard."

Steen, 1) it doesn't matter where he's from... he preached loyalty, decided to go to U of M, and then went to their arch rival. That is disloyal...

2) They're not just rumors, they are things that he himself eluded to in his own statement as to why he left. Two weeks before he left he called Rich Rod's offense "physically challanging" and said that he was going to have to up his conditioning... Two weeks after that, and after being told that there was no way in He!! that his brother was going to be going to U of M, he decides to leave.

That's not rumor, that is account backed up with very strong circumstantial evidence.

Go back and look... I never said the kid wasn't willing to work hard... I more or less say that despite his hard work, he wasn't able to keep up... And he himself admitted that.

March 31st, 2008, 11:06 am
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

Steen, 1) it doesn't matter where he's from... he preached loyalty, decided to go to U of M, and then went to their arch rival. That is disloyal...

2) They're not just rumors, they are things that he himself eluded to in his own statement as to why he left. Two weeks before he left he called Rich Rod's offense "physically challanging" and said that he was going to have to up his conditioning... Two weeks after that, and after being told that there was no way in He!! that his brother was going to be going to U of M, he decides to leave.

That's not rumor, that is account backed up with very strong circumstantial evidence.

Go back and look... I never said the kid wasn't willing to work hard... I more or less say that despite his hard work, he wasn't able to keep up... And he himself admitted that.

But all of that is circumstantial. Wasn't everyone saying it was a harder workout? Why does that make it a reason for leaving rather than just something he said? Just because his brother isn't going to Michigan, why is that a reason for him leaving?

He was loyal to the old UM, he is leaving because of the new UM. His choice on where he wants to go means he is looking out for his best interest, it doesn't matter where he goes. I would have no problem is AJ Hawk decided to sit out a year and transfer to UM. I would wish him the best, I wouldn't question his loyalty or anything else. If he left because we got some new coach that was the way RR is, I would understand.

I just don't see how these have anything to do with him leaving andd why it isn;t just for the reasons he straight up mentioned. Why does it have to be more?

March 31st, 2008, 11:24 am
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

But all of that is circumstantial. Wasn't everyone saying it was a harder workout? Why does that make it a reason for leaving rather than just something he said? Just because his brother isn't going to Michigan, why is that a reason for him leaving?

He was loyal to the old UM, he is leaving because of the new UM. His choice on where he wants to go means he is looking out for his best interest, it doesn't matter where he goes. I would have no problem is AJ Hawk decided to sit out a year and transfer to UM. I would wish him the best, I wouldn't question his loyalty or anything else. If he left because we got some new coach that was the way RR is, I would understand.

I just don't see how these have anything to do with him leaving andd why it isn;t just for the reasons he straight up mentioned. Why does it have to be more?

Steen, there is a problem with your causal analysis...

You're essentially arguing that he left just be RR became U of M's coach, but that isn't the case. Boren stayed on at U of M AFTER RR became the coach, it was something that RR was DOING that made Boren leave, NOT his presence. To answer what it was that was being done that frustrated him so much it is totally plausible to look at circumstantial evidence, as no one else is willing to offer up anything more... (Also there is direct evidence that these were the reasons based upon other eye-witness accounts of the events and on-goings)...

Boren's father played at U of M, Boren was playing at U of M, and Boren wanted his younger brother (as did his father and younger brother wanted his younger brother to play there too) to play at U of M. The "familial" aspect of U of M was, among other things, their willingness to bring back alum and the sons and daughters of former players. RR wasn't willing to do that, hence Boren complaining about the lack of "family" in the new U of M regiem.

I have no problem with Boren leaving U of M and playing for OSU, but I do have a problem with him complaining about "loyalty" and then jumping ship to the teams biggest rival. That is, by definition, disloyal. If you can't comprehend that I don't know what to tell you, that's as simple as I know how to put it.

"The reasons he straight up mentioned" WERE the same reasons I gave... He just didn't define them. His reasons were open and ambiguous... They were defined by his peers and by his actions in the manner I suggested.

March 31st, 2008, 11:36 am
RIP Killer

I just do not have a reason to take his statements about the program that he said in a positive light and then infer that they are part of the reason that he left. I just don't think it is fair or right.

I am not at all arguing that he left because RR became coach, he obviously stated that he left because family values were gone. That could mean tons of things, but there has been talk of terrible cursing also. Where does that factor in to this? I just am not one to infer that someone who works hard and looks like a good NFL prospect at the least would jeopardize it because his brother won't be recruited to UM or that the workouts were just too hard.

March 31st, 2008, 11:45 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I have to agree with wjb on this one. RR not wanting to recruit his brother probably has something to do with it, but it's more than just that. Boren isn't the only one complaining about the new system, but he's the only one to leave since the start of spring practices thus far. The problem is that Michigan has always recruited and built their OL around big, mauler type of players. They don't fit the spread option offense which requires smaller, quicker linemen. It's kinda like trying to fit square pegs into round holes and several players aren't happy about it. This is going to be interesting and it probably isn't going to get better until RR has a couple of years of bringing in his own types of players.

March 31st, 2008, 11:48 am
I just do not have a reason to take his statements about the program that he said in a positive light and then infer that they are part of the reason that he left. I just don't think it is fair or right.

I am not at all arguing that he left because RR became coach, he obviously stated that he left because family values were gone. That could mean tons of things, but there has been talk of terrible cursing also. Where does that factor in to this? I just am not one to infer that someone who works hard and looks like a good NFL prospect at the least would jeopardize it because his brother won't be recruited to UM or that the workouts were just too hard.

Uhmmm... U must be the one to infer it, because I certainly never did... I said in a prior post that moving to OSU could be huge for Boren, as he'll be in a system that better suits him and his lack of athleticism. I only pointed out that there may be negative effects of sitting out a year after you said "I don't see any negatives"... There are possibly negatives, but there is also a ton of upside...

Steen, if you think cursing has anything to do with his decision to leave, and if you think that the OSU coaches don't curse, then this conversation really has elevated to the point of lunacy... To say that you don't think he left because of his brother, and then suggest that he left because he hears an F-bomb every now and then is just plain silly.

March 31st, 2008, 12:24 pm
RIP Killer

From what "people were saying" it is much more than every once and a while. I'm not saying that is the reason either, but it has been brought up.

With so many people having terrible things to say about RR, doesn't it seem that there is a least a little bit of chance that his intentions are as he had stated?

There will probably be tons more comming out about this in the next few weeks or months, so for now I don't see a need to try and figure out why he left and put him in a negative light. I'll just wait for more info to come out. Maybe you are completely right, no one knows. I still think that taking statements where he is praising UM and RR shouldn't be used in his decition to leave.

March 31st, 2008, 1:01 pm
Pro Bowl Player

Doc... To ease your fears some...

I have heard that Boren left U of M for two reasons...
1) That he couldn't keep up with the no huddle/spread offense that Rich Rod wanted to run, and

This is what I was told.

He wasn't that happy there and didnt have his heart in it. A couple of his friends left, and his coach left. Those guys were like family to him.

There was also the issue of strength and conditioning....everyone likes the strength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis a lot and the strength part of it he was fine with.. but the brutal conditioning part was a bit much for him.

And Michigan is working the no huddle offense big time, almost all the time.

So between his friends and coach leaving and the new emphaisis on conditioning and no huddle... his heart wasnt in it and it wasnt for him.

Also.. word is Sheridan could be starting at QB and Minor has been taking snaps at QB as well....

The offense kicks the defense's butt all around the field....

Factoid: Stength and conditioning coach Mike Barwis was a cage fighter, supposedly with a undefeated record..

March 31st, 2008, 6:49 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:
OSU football: Boren's transfer sure to add spice to rivalry

Offensive lineman Justin Boren has decided to transfer from Michigan to Ohio State, and OSU football historian Jack Park thinks it is an unprecedented move.

Citing disenchantment with the new Michigan coaching staff of Rich Rodriguez, Boren -- a sophomore starter in 2007 -- left the Wolverines last month. Coach Jim Tressel confirmed for The Dispatch last night that Boren, who attended Pickerington North, intends to play for the Buckeyes after sitting out the 2008 season because of NCAA transfer rules.

"It's exciting to be coming back home to central Ohio," Boren, who just finished the spring semester at Michigan, said in a statement through Tressel. "I am looking forward to the chance to help the Buckeyes continue their excellence in any way I can."

Tressel welcomed the transfer. Because of Big Ten rules, Boren can never be on scholarship at OSU.

"Justin is a fine young man and an excellent football player," Tressel said. "We are happy that he has decided to continue his career at Ohio State and ultimately earn his degree in his hometown."

Park, considered the walking encyclopedia of OSU football, said he can't recall another high-profile player transferring from Michigan to Ohio State, and certainly not since World War II.

"He is just one player, but I think it's a major moment (in the history of the rivalry)," Park said. "Just that it would happen is one thing. Then you throw in the fact his father (Mike Boren, who played linebacker for Bo Schembechler) had been at Michigan just makes it all the more interesting."

Park pointed out that two players in the 1940s started their college careers at OSU, went to World War II, then played at Michigan upon their return. Howard Yerges Jr. was the starting quarterback and J.T. White the starting center for the Wolverines' 1947 national championship team.

[url]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2008/04/23/osu_football23.ART_ART_04-23-08_C1_H5A0MGQ.html?sid=101
[/url]

April 23rd, 2008, 9:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2