View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 26th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Western Conf. Finals - Dallas Stars 
Modmin Dude

Post Stanley Cup Playoffs - Western Conf. Finals - Dallas Stars
Here we are, back at the Western Conference Finals. Will Detroits dominance over Turco continue? We shall find out soon enough.

Best of 7 series starts Thursday, May 8 @ 7:30 EDT

Western Conference

No. 1 Detroit Red Wings vs. No. 5 Dallas Stars
Thursday, May 8 -- Dallas at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, May 10 -- Dallas at Detroit, 7 p.m.
Monday, May 12 -- Detroit at Dallas, 8 p.m.
Wednesday, May 14 -- Detroit at Dallas, 8 p.m.
*-Saturday, May 17 -- Dallas at Detroit, 1:30 p.m.
*-Monday, May 19 -- Detroit at Dallas, 8 p.m.
*-Wednesday, May 21 -- Dallas at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.

ESPN Coverage

Burnside wrote:
Monday, May 5, 2008
Conference finals breakdown: Red Wings vs. Stars

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Scott Burnside
ESPN.com

Guess the Dallas Stars have gotten over their first-round postseason phobia, haven't they? After failing to advance beyond the opening series since 2004, the Stars this spring have upended the defending Stanley Cup champs in six games and disposed the hottest team heading into the playoffs, the San Jose Sharks.

The Stars went to a fourth overtime in Game 6 but advanced to their first conference finals since 2000, when they also went to the Stanley Cup finals.

The Detroit Red Wings, meanwhile, struggled midway through their opening-round series against Nashville but took advantage of woeful netminding by Jose Theodore and cruised to a four-game sweep of the Colorado Avalanche in the West semis. The Stars, who have terrific depth down the middle, now have an identity they lacked the past three or four postseasons. Marty Turco, fresh off a 61-save effort, will represent a much sterner test than the Avs, or he should.

Still, the Red Wings seem to be firing on all cylinders and will be very difficult to knock out.

Five Points to Series

1. Not stubborn, just smokin'. Here's the thing about Johan Franzen, goal-scoring machine -- he didn't just start his torrid tear when the playoffs began. Down the stretch, the Red Wings forward scored 15 goals in the last 16 games of the regular season. When you factor in his 11 postseason markers, Franzen has scored 26 times in his past 26 games. More impressive, however, has been the crucial nature of Franzen's contributions. He scored eight game-winning goals during the regular season and has added four more winners in the playoffs. Forget about Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg and Nicklas Lidstrom. Whether the Stars can stop the big Swede they call "The Mule" may be the most important question of this series.

2. Captain Morrow. The decision to make Brenden Morrow a captain at the start of the 2006-07 season created quite a kerfuffle in Dallas, given the iconic status of former captain Mike Modano. Morrow missed half of last season with wrist and groin injuries, but played in all 82 regular-season games this campaign and has helped solidify the Stars' hard-working and skilled identity. Morrow finished second in team scoring to Mike Ribeiro with 74 points and was a team-best plus-23. In the playoffs, he has taken another step forward as he leads the team with two overtime winners, including the series-clincher versus San Jose. Morrow, who played 51 minutes in the deciding game and was credited with 19 hits, also had two goals disallowed in Game 5, but he didn't let that slow him down. In the way that Steve Yzerman used to be "the guy" in Detroit and Modano used to be "the guy" in Dallas, Morrow is now that player for the Stars.

3. The big men on the blue line. This series features two of the finest veteran defensemen in the game in Lidstrom and Dallas' Sergei Zubov. Lidstrom is unparalleled -- the cool, calm catalyst that drives a precise Detroit engine. Lidstrom is expected to win his sixth Norris Trophy and third in a row as the game's best defenseman. This spring, he's added seven points, is a plus-7 and has one game-winning goal for the 8-2 Red Wings. Zubov, meanwhile, has been a surprise contributor to the Stars' playoff success. The often underappreciated Russian missed the start of the playoffs, not to mention 26 regular-season games, trying to work through a sports hernia injury. The 37-year-old went to Germany on the eve of the playoffs to have the injury treated, returned in the second round and made an immediate impact with four points in five games. He played an astounding 53:50 in Game 6 against San Jose. Both Lidstrom and Zubov are key to their teams' respective power plays and have the ability to turn the course of a game on their own.

4. The snarl factor. The expected knock 'em down, drag 'em out battle against the Avalanche never materialized for the Red Wings. Detroit so often was ahead early in games that Colorado was forced to open things up as opposed to grind them out. The Wings may yet get that type of series against a Stars team that is comfortable playing close to the vest. Last season, the Wings displayed a surprising amount of grit in advancing to the Western Conference finals against Anaheim, and they have the tools to play that type of game with veterans like Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Dallas Drake and the reclaimed Darren McCarty. The Stars, meanwhile, don't mind the dirty work in the corners, either, with Steve Ott and Morrow. Neither team has a heavyweight in the Georges Laraque/Donald Brashear mold, but don't think this series won't get a bit ugly.

5. Ozzie redux, again. All Chris Osgood has done since coming off the bench for an inconsistent Dominik Hasek after Game 4 of the first round is win six straight games. The 35-year-old veteran won a Stanley Cup as the starter here in 1998 but has never really been given credit for being an elite netminder. The perception is no different now, and many will suggest the Stars hold a significant advantage in goal with Turco. Still, Turco is the one who historically has struggled in the playoffs. Both have played exceptionally well this postseason. Osgood leads the league with a 1.52 goals-against average and a third-best .937 save percentage. Turco has a 1.73 GAA and .929 save percentage. Watch for Detroit coach Mike Babcock to go back to Hasek if Osgood can't match Turco save for save. Not that he may have to worry about that.

Key Matchup

Mike Ribeiro vs. Niklas Kronwall: Mike Ribeiro remains the Stars' most dangerous forward and leads the team with 14 points in 12 games. He can expect to spend a lot of time making sure he's not getting his head handed to him by Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall, who is making the most of his first playoff run with the Wings. The injury-prone Swede has good offensive tools, is strong in his own zone and has the added bonus of being able to deliver the big open-ice hit. The Stars need Ribeiro's continued offensive production, while the Wings need Kronwall to shut him down.

Hot and Not

Red Wings: Zetterberg is second in team scoring with 13 points and is a league-best plus-10 through the second round. Daniel Cleary has one goal and one assist through 10 games.

Stars: Stephane Robidas is tied with Kronwall for the lead among NHL defensemen with eight postseason points. Niklas Hagman has just two points in these playoffs, and both came in one game against San Jose.

Predictions

We didn't have enough courage to pick the Stars in the second round after picking them to beat Anaheim. And as much as we love how far the Stars have come this season, we once again lack courage to pick them against a Red Wings team that is healthy, rested and just a little too deep for the Stars to handle. Wings in seven.

Scott Burnside is the NHL writer for ESPN.com.

May 6th, 2008, 11:07 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

This should be a real interesting series!! Franzen is a monster! I am going Wings in 6! :idea:

May 6th, 2008, 5:57 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

On paper atleast, the Wings should kill them. They won the season series 3-1 and Turco has always struggled at JLA. However, this is the playoffs and anything can happen. If Turco plays anything like he did in that four OT thriller (yea, I stayed up and watched it), he can steal a couple of games. So, I'm going to say the Wings in 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if they swept them. The Stars just don't have much of an offense.

May 7th, 2008, 10:03 am

The Red Wings dominated the Stars in a 4-1 victory last night to take a 1-0 lead in the series. In the first two periods, it seemed as if the Wings controlled the puck for 75% of the time, while the Stars stood around and watched them. Perhaps, they were still recovering from the 4 OT game or something. They did show a few spurts though, especially in the 3rd period, but if they can't maintain that type of energy, Dallas doesn't stand a chance.

Another thing I noticed was that the Stars started taking cheap shots late in the game. Even Turco took one on somebody. Luckily, nobody got injured, but if they keep that up, we'll have to unleash Kronwall on them some more.

May 9th, 2008, 9:48 am
Modmin Dude

The Red Wings dominated the Stars in a 4-1 victory last night to take a 1-0 lead in the series. In the first two periods, it seemed as if the Wings controlled the puck for 75% of the time, while the Stars stood around and watched them. Perhaps, they were still recovering from the 4 OT game or something. They did show a few spurts though, especially in the 3rd period, but if they can't maintain that type of energy, Dallas doesn't stand a chance.

I think the reason that the Stars seemed to stip it up in the 3rd is because Detroit just eased back a bit. The Wings had a comfortable lead and were just trying to get through the game unscathed. I was a bit surprised to see the Wings come out full force at the start of the game as I was a worried that they may have had too much rest (with a week off). I swear there were times last night that I thought I was watching the Wings of 97, 98 or 02!

slybri19 wrote:
Another thing I noticed was that the Stars started taking cheap shots late in the game. Even Turco took one on somebody. Luckily, nobody got injured, but if they keep that up, we'll have to unleash Kronwall on them some more.

Yeah, I thought there were a few questionable hits/situations towards the end of the game....it reminded me a bit of the Wings vs Avs series from days gone by. I really hope that the Starts don't sink down to that level in this series, it would be a shame and IMO it doesn't really accomplish anything, except giving up a lot of power play goals :wink:

Go Wings!!!
headbang.gif

May 9th, 2008, 11:28 am

The Wings squeeked out a 2-1 victory, but it wasn't pretty. They seemed off of their game and the Stars contolled long stretches of play. Franzen was out for concussion-like symptoms and nobody else seemed to step up. Osgood had a few good saves, but he was playing too far out in front of the net for my liking. Needless to say, I was scared the entire game.

As time expired, some dickwad (Ribeiro) slashed Osgood across the face and neck from behind the net. If that dude doesn't get suspended for atleast a game, something is wrong. It was totally uncalled for. Another idiot (Ott) took a cheap shot with about 5 seconds remaining too. It looks like Dallas wants to be poor sports or something. This is not the way hockey is supposed to be played.

May 10th, 2008, 10:15 pm
Walk On

The Wings squeeked out a 2-1 victory, but it wasn't pretty. They seemed off of their game and the Stars contolled long stretches of play. Franzen was out for concussion-like symptoms and nobody else seemed to step up. Osgood had a few good saves, but he was playing too far out in front of the net for my liking. Needless to say, I was scared the entire game.

As time expired, some dickwad (Ribeiro) slashed Osgood across the face and neck from behind the net. If that dude doesn't get suspended for atleast a game, something is wrong. It was totally uncalled for. Another idiot (Ott) took a cheap shot with about 5 seconds remaining too. It looks like Dallas wants to be poor sports or something. This is not the way hockey is supposed to be played.

I only witnessed the play in replay by sportscenter. Ozzy stuck out his stick while a defender (Ribeiro) came flying in near the net. Like Barry Melrose said I think that could have been serious and dont blame the guy for taking a cheap shot at Ozzy. Dont get me wrong I'm as hardcore a fan as anyone but the Oz took a swan dive on that one.

On another note: Does anyone know if Franzen is going to be out for a bit? We need him to make the final push.

May 11th, 2008, 9:21 pm
QB Coach

I only witnessed the play in replay by sportscenter. Ozzy stuck out his stick while a defender (Ribeiro) came flying in near the net. Like Barry Melrose said I think that could have been serious and dont blame the guy for taking a cheap shot at Ozzy. Dont get me wrong I'm as hardcore a fan as anyone but the Oz took a swan dive on that one.

On another note: Does anyone know if Franzen is going to be out for a bit? We need him to make the final push.

I saw it as it happened and initially I thought the guy should be suspended. But after seeing the replay, Ozzie did hit the guy (almost in the face) with the butt end of his stick. That's bad. I can't blame the guy for being mad. And he didn't hit Ozzie in the face. It was across his chest, which is very well protected, so he's fine.

The chippy stuff at the end of games is not at all uncommon. It might not be right, but it happens all the time. Players get frustrated with losing, maybe do something dumb. As long as nobody is taking serious cheap shots and nobody gets hurt, it doesn't bother me too much. It makes for a higher energy, angrier series.

May 12th, 2008, 12:38 pm
QB Coach

Looks like Ozzie and Ribeiro got fined. No suspensions. I think that's fair.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3391167

May 12th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Yea, I was wrong. Ribeiro hit Ozzy in the chest and not the face. I only saw it once before I posted that, but saw several replays afterwards. Regardless, nobody should ever two handed swing at a player with their stick. There's no place for stuff like that. I disagree with the fine and no suspension, but if they had suspended Ribeiro, they probably should have suspended Osgood, as well. He was the one that started it, but it was nowhere near as vicious. Tonight's game is probably going to get very interesting real fast if anybody takes a cheap shot.

As for Franzen, he is still out with concussion-like symptoms, but I have no idea when he is expected to return. Hopefully, it will be soon.

May 12th, 2008, 1:50 pm

The Wings will come out tonight and kick some pucks!! they will be looking for Ribeiro...

May 12th, 2008, 5:19 pm
QB Coach

The Wings will come out tonight and kick some pucks!! they will be looking for Ribeiro...

If they're smart they won't go looking for them. Dallas can't hang with the Wings when they play their game, so they need to stay away from turning this into a street fight. I don't think much will happen that out of the ordinary.

May 12th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Other than the start of the game (when Dallas came out all fired up), the Wings completely dominated them again. Datsyuk scored his first career hat trick and Zetterberg had a sweet short handed goal, to go along with Hudler's breakaway. The Stars are done and Detroit should sweep them on Wednesday.

May 13th, 2008, 10:45 am
Modmin Dude

This was a GREAT game all around. Both teams were fighting during the first 2 periods but in the end the Wings were just too much for the Stars to handle! Great game! Now it's time to close it out tomorrow and get some rest

Go Wings!!!

May 13th, 2008, 10:55 am

Go Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 13th, 2008, 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next