View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 26th, 2014, 11:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Shaun Rogers Vs Larry Allen 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Shaun Rogers Vs Larry Allen
I seen this on lionsundergound.com

The breakdown: Lions DT Rogers vs. Larry Allen

07:45 PM CDT on Wednesday, October 27, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / The Dallas Morning News

Each Thursday during the season, Matt Mosley will take you inside a key matchup in a feature we call "The Breakdown." This week, Mosley looks at the matchup of ...

Lions' defensive tackle Shaun Rogers vs. Cowboys' left guard Larry Allen

IRVING - Detroit's defensive line must make Bill Parcells envious. The Lions have been able to generate a pass rush with their front four.

And Shaun "Big Baby" Rogers, in his fourth season out of Texas, is a huge part of that. He plays the three-technique on defense, which will often put him across from Cowboys left guard Larry Allen.

The Lions' defensive line has accounted for 19 of the team's 22 sacks, and Rogers has four of those. That ties a career high he set last year while becoming an alternate for the Pro Bowl. What's especially troubling for Dallas is that Rogers and fellow defensive tackle Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson are known primarily as run stuffers.

Much like Green Bay's Grady Jackson was last week, Rogers and Wilkinson are almost impossible to move around. But if anyone can control Rogers, it's Allen. He made the Pro Bowl last season on reputation only. This season, he's in much better condition and he's been dominant at times.

Allen is once again able to pull from his guard position, and he's put pancake blocks on several linebackers. One of the most frustrating things for Allen and the rest of the line is that the Cowboys haven't tried to run the ball much this season.

That will likely change Sunday. Here's this week's breakdown:

STRENGTHS

Rogers: He's a tackling machine. Led all defensive linemen with 97 tackles in 2001. And he seems to be getting better. He's developed better pass rush moves. For a 6-4, 345-pound man, he has a lot of quickness. In fact, he has to be among the NFL's top run stuffers. He also good at blocking field goals with five in his career.

Allen: Still one of the strongest players in the NFL. If he ever knocks a player off balance, that player is history. The thing that Allen has regained this season is the ability to work well in space. In the last few seasons, he's whiffed on players. He hasn't done that much this season. He's very effective at using his leg strength to set a base from which to work. Rogers won't be able to bullrush him.

WEAKNESSES

Rogers: He's become a complete player, so it's hard to find many. With his immense size, Rogers can get worn down. When he does, he has a tendency to stand straight up when taking on double teams.

Allen: At 6-3, 335, he doesn't have the balance he used to. Allen can be susceptible to a quick defensive lineman. If he bites on a move, he has trouble recovering. He's also prone to getting penalized for holding. He has so much pride that he's not above reaching out and grabbing someone in an effort to save a play.

THE EDGE

Larry Allen
I think Rogers is one of the best defensive tackles in the game, but Allen is ready for this matchup. The usually media-shy Allen even uttered a few words when a reporter stopped by his locker Wednesday. Allen said Rogers was a solid player, but when he asked how hard it would be to stop him, Allen began laughing.

That's a sign of a man who is getting ready to dominate a player. Look for running back Eddie George to run behind Allen and left tackle Flozell Adams all day long.

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com

Something tells me Larry won't be laughing much on Sunday!

Last edited by lionsfanva on October 28th, 2004, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 28th, 2004, 11:26 am
RIP Killer

if balance has become a problem for Allen, how is he gonna handle a guy who is taller, bigger and faster than him? Should be an interesting battle.

I'm surprised the paper didn't focus on Roy Williams vs Roy Williams.

1) Same name
2) Both young stars
3) Texas vs. Oklahoma

Very surprising... :?

October 28th, 2004, 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

LOL...they can't list a weakness aside from size + wear down (yeah...Larry is so small) for Big Baby and a bunch for L.Allen yet Allen gets the nod LMAO...what a joke :lol:

October 28th, 2004, 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
All State

allen is gonna be overmatched against big baby. he once was a great, perhaps the best, offensive lineman in the league. once. now he is just average to good.

i don't think an average to good ol can stop the big baby from making an impact.

big baby + big daddy = big problems for big d

October 28th, 2004, 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

And I bet if this article was written by the Detroit Free Press, it would have completely different points! Especially on who has the edge in the battle.

October 29th, 2004, 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]