View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 12:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Phillip Rivers 
RIP Killer

Post Phillip Rivers
Word on the street is that contract talks have totally broken down and he and the Chargers aren't talking anymore (with that said he will probably sign tomorrow).

So glad the Lions have been doing a good job of getting picks into camp on-time (or close to it in the case of RW) the last few years. Williams delay was all on the part of his agent anyway who was "busy" negotiating deals for his other clients.

August 9th, 2004, 8:20 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Just read this and copied the pertinent part below. While I am a proponent of maximizing your earning potential, I am still amazed at the value that some unproven individuals and their agents feel they have.

Perhaps a modified version of the NBA rookie cap, could be the answer.

Quote:
Chargers stop talks with Philip Rivers

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CARSON, Calif. -- The San Diego Chargers broke off talks Monday with unsigned rookie quarterback Philip Rivers.

Rivers, chosen by the Giants with the No. 4 pick in the draft, was acquired by the Chargers in the deal that sent quarterback Eli Manning to New York. Manning was selected by San Diego with the No. 1 overall pick.

"This is very disappointing and unfortunate," Chargers general manager A.J. Smith said Monday. "Negotiations broke down."

"We wanted to get him signed before the reporting date, we made an effort. We tried, and we couldn't come to an agreement. He had an offer until 5 p.m. Sunday. That was rejected, and now the offer is off the table. It will only go down from here."

Smith said the Chargers' proposal wasn't a slot offer and exceeds the deals for Robert Gallery and Larry Fitzgerald, who were selected with the second and third overall picks - right before Rivers.

Gallery signed with Oakland for seven years with $18.5 million guaranteed and $60 million with incentives. Fitzgerald's six-year deal with Arizona calls for $20 million guaranteed and $60 with incentives.

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

August 9th, 2004, 8:54 pm
QB Coach

Another interesting tidbit I saw from Mort on ESPN was that Rivers actually left San Diego and flew back to his home in North Carolina. That takes a lot of cojones to just walk out on the organization when you aren't even signed yet, and are the 4th pick of the draft!

August 10th, 2004, 12:07 am
Profile WWW
Cheerleader

Just another young kid who thinks he owns the franchise just because he was taken high in the draft. Let him and Kellen Winslow go cry about getting huge money before they've even stepped on the field. Players today are ridiculous. :?

August 10th, 2004, 12:48 am
Profile YIM
RIP Killer

rabbi - thanks for the article. I heard that on the radio this morning as well. I can't believe 1) the Chargers offered him more $ than the 2nd and 3rd picks and 2) that Rivers didn't take it.

Who does he think he is? Kellen Winslow Jr?

August 10th, 2004, 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
rabbi - thanks for the article. I heard that on the radio this morning as well. I can't believe 1) the Chargers offered him more $ than the 2nd and 3rd picks and 2) that Rivers didn't take it.

Who does he think he is? Kellen Winslow Jr?

He must. Who is Rivers' agent anyways?

August 10th, 2004, 4:07 pm
QB Coach

He must. Who is Rivers' agent anyways?

I think it is Tom Condon, same as Manning.

August 10th, 2004, 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

I think it is Tom Condon, same as Manning.

I believe it is Jimmy Sexton.

In me you can see that time of year when a few yellow leaves or none at all hang. In me you can see the glowing embers that lie upon the ashes remaining from the flame of my youth. So, respect more deeply that which you must give up before long.

August 10th, 2004, 4:48 pm
QB Coach

I believe it is Jimmy Sexton.

You're right!

August 10th, 2004, 4:53 pm
Profile WWW
Baton Girl

Even if Rivers is let go, I wouldnt really care all that much. He can go ahead and be a little baby about it. I would really like to see Drew Brees as their starter and for him to have a big year. He was my favorite college QB when he was with purdue.

August 13th, 2004, 5:37 pm
Site Admin

Rivers will blow anyways...once again they find away to throw away a good QB :roll:

August 13th, 2004, 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

They should've taken the best player in the draft; Gallery. You know what you are getting with him.

August 13th, 2004, 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

but you never know... Back in 89' an OL from MSU was thought as a can't miss just like Gallery. Like Gallery, he went with the second overall pick. Ahead of him the Cowboys took a QB named Aikman. Three picks after that the Falcons took a CB named Sanders. With the third pick, right after the OL, the Lions took some guy named Sanders as well. The OL from MSU, Tony Mandrich, turned out to be a huge bust for the Packers.

Point is, in the NFL draft, there is no sure thing... QB's are even more questionable than OL, I don't even need to go there - I'm sure a ton of names come to mind. Gallery would have certainly been the safer pick but....... :twisted:

August 13th, 2004, 10:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

but you never know... Back in 89'

:shock: they had TVs back then????

August 14th, 2004, 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

but you never know... Back in 89' an OL from MSU was thought as a can't miss just like Gallery. Like Gallery, he went with the second overall pick. Ahead of him the Cowboys took a QB named Aikman. Three picks after that the Falcons took a CB named Sanders. With the third pick, right after the OL, the Lions took some guy named Sanders as well. The OL from MSU, Tony Mandrich, turned out to be a huge bust for the Packers.

Point is, in the NFL draft, there is no sure thing... QB's are even more questionable than OL, I don't even need to go there - I'm sure a ton of names come to mind. Gallery would have certainly been the safer pick but....... :twisted:

(Don't know if this posted before, there was an error)
While you may be correct in there is no sure thing in the NFL Draft, OL is almost the most guaranteed thing. If you look back on previous draft history, nearly all of the offensive linemen taken near Gallery that were near his caliber have had successful pro-bowl careers in the NFL (Orlando Pace, Jon Ogden, etc.). While Mandrich was a bust, if I recall he actually came back to football and had a somewhat respectable career, so it wasn't like he was a complete wash. All of the linemen that have come from the same roots as Gallery have been great linemen in the NFL and there is nothing that tells me otherwise.

August 14th, 2004, 11:01 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next