View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 28th, 2014, 9:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Quick Question for Michigan natives 
Mr. Irrelevant

Post Quick Question for Michigan natives
What makes the difference for you between Michigan State and the University of Michigan? Why do you root for one and not the other?

December 9th, 2008, 12:47 pm
Post Re: Quick Question for Michigan natives
Footsoldier32 wrote:
What makes the difference for you between Michigan State and the University of Michigan? Why do you root for one and not the other?

IMO Michigan State is more of a superficial "party school," while U of M is more pedagogical/serious univeristy that is geared more towards teaching and academics than sports. Most MSU fans think that U of M fans are uptight or arrogant, while most U of M fans think that MSU fans are superficial party rejects that lack class. Ultimately, IMO, it sort of comes down to a war of the classes... MSU is much more blue collar.

Also, I think U of M tends more to do sports "the right way." I think Izzo does a good job with it regading the basketball team (looking for kids that stick around until their senior season, etc.), but they're getting away from that. That said, I have to admit that U of M might be going the way of the dark side with the Rich Rod hire. I really think that Rich Rod has acted in an ok manner thus far, despite some of the cirticism that he's received. IMO his biggest mistake was not retaining Ryan Mallet and putting all of his eggs in the Terrel Prior basket. That being the case, he might not have been able to retain Mallet regardless of what he did, and knowing that he put his best effort in his only card available. Whatever the case, it obviosuly didn't work out. Some say that Rich Rod lacks class, but I don't see it. I don't think he handled quitting his last job very well, I think that whole mess should have been handled in a more civil way, and I don't think that he knew, understood or respected U of M tradition (and Big 10 football for that matter) in the manner that he should have before taking the job. Still, I odn't think he has done anything that warrants his credibility being shaken. After all, he was brought in here to CHANGE the system, not keep it the same.

D'antonio, on the other hand, IMO, is a classless piece of poop. It's one thing for players to spout off (Mike Hart, being one of them... but that's not to say that THREE MSU players didn't spout off this year), but it is a total new ball-game for a coach to lower himself into the ranks of players and literally trash talk to players of the opposing team DIRECETLY. He is constantly making snide comments, and IMO, despite being a good football coach, lowers the class of the team (or at least keeps it where its at, in the basement!).

December 9th, 2008, 1:15 pm
RIP Killer

As a MSU grad and fan, I obviously cheer for the Spartans first.

What separates MSU fans from Michigan fans, however, is class as WJB points out. MSU fans cheer second loudest for Michigan (since we share the same state), and the rest of the Big Ten third (since we share the same conference).

You will have a hard time finding a Michigan fan to ever cheer for MSU or a Big Ten rival like Ohio State.

So think of it this way, an MSU fan goes like this:
Go State
Go Michigan
Go Big Ten

Why a Michigan fan goes like this:
Go Blue
Screw you Lil Brother, err I mean State
OSU sucks

Pretty easy to see which group of fans has the most class! :idea:

December 9th, 2008, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mr. Irrelevant

December 11th, 2008, 12:12 pm
So think of it this way, an MSU fan goes like this:
Go State
Go Michigan
Go Big Ten

Why a Michigan fan goes like this:
Go Blue
Screw you Lil Brother, err I mean State
OSU sucks

Pretty easy to see which group of fans has the most class! :idea:

Is that so? Then why did MSU's COACH come out and say DIRECTLY that he WOULD NOT root for a U of M victory DESPITE the fact that it would HELP MSU.

If anything Pablo, I think you have it backwards. The ONLY school most U of M fans hate is OSU. I know I personally root for MSU when they're playing an out of conference team, or even an in conerence team that doesn't directly effect U of M.

I really think you have it backwards regarding who the fans support...

And further, it is a FACT that the Big House is the most friendly place for incoming fans in the Big 10. I know that to be true for 80% of the stadiums because I've been to almost all of them.

December 11th, 2008, 12:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]