View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 5:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Datsyuk NHL's best 
Walk On

Post Datsyuk NHL's best
Quote:
Red Wings agree: Pavel Datsyuk is NHL's best
by Ansar Khan
Thursday February 12, 2009, 12:15 AM
AP File PhotoDetroit's Pavel Datsyuk, left, celebrates a recent goal with teammate Darren Helm.

DETROIT -- Before joining the Detroit Red Wings, Marian Hossa watched them on TV and marveled at Pavel Datsyuk.

"When you see him on an everyday basis, he's even better than you thought,'' Hossa said.

Hossa called Datsyuk the most complete player in the NHL. Captain Nicklas Lidstrom said he should be a Hart Trophy candidate as league MVP.

Datsyuk takes a nine-game scoring streak (five goals, 11 assists) into tonight's game against Minnesota at Joe Louis Arena.

The surge has bumped him up to fourth in the league in scoring with 68 points, behind only Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby, and last season's MVP, Alex Ovechkin of Washington.

Only Boston rookie Blake Wheeler has a better plus-minus rating (plus-32) than Datsuyk's plus-30.

"I can't think of somebody else who is more complete than Pavel,'' Hossa said. "He has ability to steal the puck, he plays well defensively. I think he's the best all-around player in the world right now.''

Datsyuk might be hard-pressed to garner serious Hart Trophy consideration. He was the league's fourth-leading scorer last season and also won the Selke Trophy as the top defensive forward, but still wasn't a Hart finalist.

"I don't know why that is because we've seen what he can do on a daily basis,'' Lidstrom said. "He should be considered (as) a Hart nominee.''

He continues to be overshadowed, however, by many of the game's younger stars, particularly in the Eastern Conference.

"I don't know why he doesn't have that recognition in the league, but lots of players know he's right there with Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin,'' Hossa said. "He's proving it night by night. People think he's not fast, but he's sneaky fast. He has lots of power in his legs and it's just fun to watch him.''

Datsyuk is on pace to become the first Red Wing to record 100 points since Sergei Fedorov tallied 107 in 1995-96.

"He never starts (the season) on fire, but gets better and better and usually is his best at playoff time,'' coach Mike Babcock said. "He's so good with the puck, so responsible defensively, and yet he can be such a physical player at the same time. I think that's one the things that's underrated about him, how physical he can be.''

Babcock said Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg, recently reunited on the same line, have "magic together.''

Datsyuk, who began the season on a line with Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom, excels regardless of who plays on his line.

"The player he plays with just has to find the open spot, or battle in the corner and get Pav the puck,'' Lidstrom said. "Pav can find those players, in front of the net or in the high slot.''

Hossa likened Datsyuk to the main character in one of his favorite action movies.

"When he comes into a situation where you think he's going to get hammered or hit ugly, all the sudden he's like the 'Terminator,' when he goes through the glass, just moves through people,'' Hossa said. "Just unbelievable how he (maintains) the puck and goes like nothing happened. Not many players can do that.''

Is there anything Datsyuk doesn't do well?

"I was surprised that his English is not so great,'' Hossa joked.

Let's make a deal
Hossa was asked if he thinks it is possible for the Red Wings, with their limited salary cap space in 2009-10, to re-sign both him and Johan Franzen.

"Anything can happen,'' Hossa said. "Obviously, they have some plan to keep both players. We'll see how they're going to manage that.

"Everybody knows if you want to stay here, you have to take less (money), so yes (he'll take less).''

Babcock was optimistic.

"I know Kenny (general manager Holland) will get 'er done, I know Hoss will get it done,'' Babcock said.

I'd just like to post this up here as I'd like to see Daysyuk get his due. How you can win the Selke as the best defensive forward and be among the leagues elite scorers; yet not be mentioned as a Hart Trophy candidate is beyond me. At least his contributions don't go unnoticed by the Redwings.

-ILMP

February 14th, 2009, 2:03 am
Walk On

Best player I've ever seen handle the puck. Truly is a joy to watch him. He use to get bullied and dissapear in games. Not anymore. He truly is the best wing nowadays.

February 15th, 2009, 7:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]