View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 5:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE 05 Season' 
Pro Bowl Player

Post THE FIRST DRAFT OF THE 05 Season'
Following a truly bizarre offseason filled with dried urine, fake aliases and motorcycle crashes, our first fantasy draft of the 2005 season feels like rebirth. While most leagues are rightfully months away from drafting, it's time to start looking closer at fantasy football 2005. What will draft boards look like this season?

We got our first chance to draft this week as part of FantasyFootball.com's "Expert" League Draft. Many players are easy to predict, but we were especially curious where players such as Priest Holmes, Peyton Manning, LaMont Jordan, Tatum Bell, and the top three rookie running backs would be drafted.

Below, we've listed the first three rounds of the Draft, along with our comments. The league starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, 1 Kicker, and 1 DEF/ST. The scoring is standard, with one point being awarded per reception. We were lucky enough to be awarded the first pick of the Draft.

1. RotoWorld.com ? LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers RB

Tomlinson is the clear first pick in any league, but his receiving skills widen the gap in leagues that award points for receptions. It's a great year to get the first pick. There is a gap after LT2 and the depth at running back means quality options will be available by our next pick.

2. FantasyFootball.com ? Priest Holmes, Chiefs RB

This is a bold pick by our buddy Ryan Houston. Priest is the ultimate boom-or-bust selection this season, and we'd rather wait until the middle of round one before taking the plunge. The Chiefs may hand over carries to Larry Johnson in an effort to keep Priest healthy.

3. Team Three ? Shaun Alexander, Seahawks RB Once Alexander gets the knife out of his back, he'll realize this is another contract year. Besides Tomlinson, there isn't a safer bet for 15 scores. Don't worry about a possible hold out. Alexander has no choice but to play.

4. Team Four ? Willis McGahee, Bills RB

Will the change to J.P. Losman at quarterback help or hurt McGahee? He will be the entire offense. Either way, expect McGahee to go this high in fantasy drafts all summer. We have him ranked fourth in our magazine rankings because he is likely to top 400 touches. Another year removed from ACL surgery, McGahee still has plenty of room to improve.

5. Team Five ? Peyton Manning, Colts QB

How early is too early to draft a quarterback? This selection only makes sense if Manning approaches 45 TDs. We have him pegged closer to 40.

6. Team Six ? Edgerrin James, Colts RB

Indianapolis expects James to show up by training camp. So do we. Assuming he does, James provides great value here. In points-per-reception leagues, he has an edge over Alexander and McGahee.

7. Team Seven ? Domanick Davis, Texans RB

Is Double D overrated? We think this is way too early to draft Davis. Not only is he an injury risk, but the Texans have already talked about reducing his workload this season after drafting Vernand Morency. Davis was very inconsistent last year, averaging only 3 yards a carry in the first half of the season before his huge finish. There are too many franchise backs still on the board.

8. Team Eight ? Ahman Green, Packers RB

It will be interesting to see how far Green falls in fantasy drafts following a lame '04 season where his body started to break down. Because of the younger options still on the board, we would have passed.

9. Team Nine ? Deuce McAllister, Saints RB

With a rebuilt offensive line and promises for a huge workload, Deuce and coach Jim Haslett are talking up an 1,800-yard season. Don't expect him to fall this far in most drafts. He will go in the top five in many drafts.

10. Team Ten ? Corey Dillon, Patriots RB

The most consistent running back in the league last season, Dillon's lack of receptions hurt him in this league format. He should be fine, but Dillon's 434 touches last year are a concern at age 31.

11. Team Eleven ? Clinton Portis, Redskins RB

This is why owners should hope for the first pick or a late first-round pick in fantasy drafts this season. A young volume runner, C.P.'s numbers should improve along with the Redskins offensive line. 1,315 yards is a fine off-year.

12 Team Twelve ? Kevin Jones, Lions RB

Once again, you want to pick late. Jones rushed for 906 yards in the second half of last season. An improved Lions passing game should only help him.

Round One Recap

Best Value: Deuce McAllister
Shadiest Pick: Domanick Davis
Trend: No wide receivers taken. Younger running backs (K. Jones, J. Jones, and Portis) slip.

June 1st, 2005, 1:22 am
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

There was a total of 36 players (fantasy players) drafted... Kevin Jones was the only lion so I stopped at 12

Not bad company to be in at all, though I have a feeling by seasons end there will be a few more people interested in our receivers!

June 1st, 2005, 1:24 am
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Personally, I would have taken Peyton earlier. He has carried my team more than once.

DD ahead of Portis, Jones. :?

June 1st, 2005, 8:57 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Personally, I would have taken Peyton earlier. He has carried my team more than once.

Oh how I wish that I had a quarterback like Manning on my team last year... instead I traded for crappy Matt Hasselbeck.

June 10th, 2005, 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

bsand2053 wrote:

Oh how I wish that I had a quarterback like Manning on my team last year... instead I traded for crappy Matt Hasselbeck.

Ouch.

You know, Peyton had 44 fantasy points on thanksgiving. :cry: I also picked up McGahee and got 30 points that same weekend. Too bad I only got 2nd. That darned Billy Volek. :evil:

June 10th, 2005, 10:13 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

That darned Billy Volek. :evil:

Yup

He screwed me over in the Lionbacker championship game.

June 11th, 2005, 12:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]