View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 16th, 2014, 7:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 IF you buy foreign vehicles, read this..... 
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I don't disagree with anything you said. American consumers are in general more inefficient and short sighted than the capitalists that create their demand. I am not against capitalism per se. I am in favour of smart production and smart consumption. The problem is that we do not practice that for the most part. I call our market and political system denial capitalism. We believe that America is the best country on earth, our workers are the most hard working, our students are the best, and that we deserve our wealth. The truth is that our consumers buy junk and are loaded with debt, our entrepeneurs have not invested in the public interest but in their own shortterm enrichment, the government rapes the middle class at the expense of the rich and even the poor. This hole system will collapse as more people adjust their perceptions to fit reality. Just to highlight one scenario: if say, oil became euro denominated, and Freddie and Fanny hit the fan, well there you have your depression.

I am not preaching against capitalism, america, GM, or its employees. I was just saying that if we do not wisen up fast and take a hard look in the mirror there is going to be hell to pay, and I just do not think those fat American consumers have the first inkling about how to survive in a food and water economy. In terms of the American automobile industry my criticism is that they did not do enough in general to invest in the reliable and efficient cars it was obvious that consumers would come to demand in the 21 st century.

June 13th, 2005, 12:20 pm
RIP Killer

buying a car is a huge expense for most people, they want quality and value. even though american cars have improved in quality, the value often isn't. this is especially true of the resale value, which does have something to do with perception. as yorick pointed out, this is a well deserved perception based upon years of experience by the american consumer.

think of the lions, while from a talent standpoint they may be equal - they have to consistently prove it on the field now.

Again, resale value of a vehicle is driven by perceived quality and value based on marketability of the vehicle. A vehicle holds its value because people are willing to pay more for it even if it gets older. In that case, durability is more the issue for the vehicle, rather than initial quality numbers. Again, American cars are just as durable (and in some cases more so) than foreign competitors.

June 13th, 2005, 12:32 pm
RIP Killer

Tom, I agree with you. Ever seen the movie 'Gung Ho' with Michael Keaton? That's a pretty good indication of how American workers react to being told they aren't the best in the world. But it's true. Instead of becoming more efficient, they become angry and use that as an excuse to do less. And I agree that American car executives dedicate to much to the short term and not enough to the long term. Toyota spends three times and much on their Research and Development than on their advertising in the United States. General Motors spends four times on advertising than they do on R & D in the U.S. That just kills me. GM would prefer to spend short term to get customers, rather than spend long term to improve their product line and keep customers. Ford, GM and Chrysler have a history of bankrupting their suppliers rather than supporting them and investing in them, which is what the Japanese do.

I could go on and on regarding my disillusionment with the American car companies (specifically their poor executive management). However, none of that changes the fact that buying a foreign vehicle puts money into foreign economies more than into the American economy. That isn't helping a country that is struggling to hold manufacturing jobs and develop more service related positions.

June 13th, 2005, 12:53 pm
RIP Killer

Here you go Mike, I figured this was right on with the Pro-Americanism lol

June 15th, 2005, 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2