View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Porcello impressing 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Porcello impressing
Quote:
20-year-old Porcello steals show for Tigers

Ground ball after ground ball is cutting a path to the big leagues for Detroit Tigers 20-year old right-hander Rick Porcello. Procello threw three scoreless innings against the Florida Marlins Monday night.

"I thought he showed a lot of poise," Leyland said after Porcello got out of some early trouble, which was no knock against the pitcher. He throws a terrific sinking fastball, which the Marlins kept pounding into the ground, according to the Detroit News.

"He's a young 20-year-old pitcher with good stuff," said Leyland, who is being careful not to build a publicity bonfire around Porcello. "He's a young, above-average pitcher with very good stuff."

Porcello is 10 weeks past his 20th birthday. He's the most impressive young Tigers pitching talent in perhaps decades. His status comes naturally, all because he has done nothing but pitch brilliantly since he first came to spring camp a year ago, eight months after the Tigers had picked him in the first round of the 2007 draft, according to The News report.

March 13th, 2009, 10:09 am
NFL Team Captain

I hear that the Tigers also have a young reliever named Ryan Perry that is turning more than a few heads.

Bondo may not be ready to pitch when the season opens. I haven't heard much about Nate Roberson and nothing about Dontrell Willis (sp?).

Are these kids going to eat up a couple of spot on the roster? Could be a good thing!

March 13th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]