View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 5:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Aruba 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Aruba
The kidnapping in Aruba has got me thinking about something that has bothered me for a while. It is a very tragic situation, as are all kidnappings, but it seems to me that if a kidnapping is to make the national news, it has to be a pretty, rich, white girl. I hope I'm not being insenistive, but thats the way I see it. A lot of times when a Amber Alert comes on the TV, it is a black girl, but you never hear about it on the national news. Maybe I am wrong. Does anyone have any comments?

June 14th, 2005, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

An Amber Alert is a national news item, no matter who is the victim.

I think the reason this story has been made into such a big deal is because one of the suspects is the son of an Arubian judicial official. There have been more than just this pretty white girl that have been kidnapped in foreign countries that haven't made the national news headlines. Girls like this get taken off cruise ships and disappear from islands more than we know. White slavery is still a big money maker in some lands.

June 14th, 2005, 10:48 am
Hall of Fame Player

I saw a special on TV about 2 years ago regaurding this very issue. The fact is you are right. Literaly dozens of kids and young adults end up missing every day in this country. And the profile of the ones that hit the national news in a big way is very much as you say.

Pretty White Girls and unusual / bizarre circumstances take precedence over everything else. A minority teenage boy stands almost no chance of making headlines. It's sad really.

The other issue is the parents and what they do to Get and Keep the missing child in the headlines. If they just sit by the story gets old fast - there's nothing new to report. If they keep doing things themselves to draw attention to the story it stays in the headlines.

Furthermore, if the parents are intelligent and articulate the news media will want to interview them. If they are immigrants with a thick accent, for example, it makes communication more difficult and therefore poor news reporting and no one wants to interview them.

Very sad stuff. But after 48 hours the chances of a live recovery plummet to almost nil as a percentage.

June 14th, 2005, 10:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin

It's true...do you think Scott and Lassie would have made national news if they looked like this

Never.

June 15th, 2005, 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

It's true...do you think Scott and Lassie would have made national news if they looked like this

Never.

LMAO!!

:lol:

June 15th, 2005, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

[quote="theAlphaMale"]It's true...do you think Scott and Lassie would have made national news if they looked like this
[quote]Scott & Lassie :?: :?: :?: :confused: Hell, he should be in jail if he was married to a dog and got her pregnant!!!! Dumbass!!!!

PS: It was Lacy

June 15th, 2005, 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]