View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 6:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Aaron Curry= BEAST 
Hall of Fame Player

I heard that Schwartz made a statement either today or yesterday after the teams practice that , We need a THUMPER in the MIDDLE of our DEFENSE!

LOL. Sounds like he is solidly in Curry's corner. LOL.

April 20th, 2009, 11:54 pm
Heisman Winner

Video: Martin Mayhew says Lions 'have a pretty good idea' of who they're taking No. 1
Posted by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com April 20, 2009 14:59PM
Categories: Draft, Local Media, Video
It's coming down to crunch time for Martin Mayhew.

The Detroit Lions general manager sat down with Fox 2's Dan Miller – the voice of the Lions – and gives a little breakdown of each of the four top candidates for the No. 1 pick in the NFL draft.

Of course, he wouldn't say which of those players the Lions will take.

"Well, I would say that I have a pretty good idea (who we're drafting)," Mayhew told Miller. "And I would say that we started out a long time ago with a lot of names for No. 1, as a possibility. And over the past few weeks, few months, that number of names has kind of narrowed down now.
"So it's really kind of coming into focus on a couple of different guys, but we haven't made a final decision yet."

Check out the whole video to hear what Mayhew has to say, but also to get a read of what he's thinking. I will say this – the guy's pretty good at not tipping his hand.

Mayhew praises Matthew Stafford's arm and intelligence. He said there would be no issue with talent, so far as the Georgia quarterback was concerned.

But he seemed to have more of an emotional attachment to Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry. Mayhew said Curry would be a middle linebacker for the Lions, if they decided to take him. He also said Curry made Wake Forest's pro day a memorable event.

"He was exciting to watch," Mayhew said. "And I left (the school) excited."
The two tackles – Baylor's Jason Smith and Virginia's Eugene Monroe – impress Mayhew, who pointed out that they both have all the tools to come in and succeed in the NFL.

April 21st, 2009, 9:45 am
Modmin Dude

Aaron Curry talks Lions

April 21, 2009 9:45 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Kevin Seifert

Check out the video below of the People's Choice during an appearance Monday on ESPN's "Rome is Burning."

Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry addressed whether Detroit will draft him No. 1 overall -- "I think there is a possibility," he said -- and also endorsed the possibility of playing middle linebacker for the Lions.

"There would be no escaping me," he said.

Curry acknowledged his agents visited Detroit's practice facility last weekend but said he has no idea whether the Lions will draft him:

"I've talked to [general manager Martin] Mayhew about everything but that draft pick. He's never given me an indication of what they're going to do."

Curry also discussed growing up in Fayetteville, N.C., his decision to bypass the draft after his junior season and a special guest he will take to the draft on Saturday.

[FOR VIDEO OF THE INTERVIEW, PLEASE CLICK LINKY]

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-1 ... Lions.html

April 21st, 2009, 9:59 am
National Champion

I love that kids attitude and mentality. He's fun to watch do Q&A's.

EDIT: I found this at the ESPN rumor mill. Nothing new for us, but it was nice to see that the little chant at yesterdays presser made national news.

Quote:
Demon Deacon Rising?
Some NFL teams have long held the belief that it's better to draft the "best player available" with their picks than to specifically draft based on team needs. That credo will be tested this weekend as Aaron Curry, who some scouts have deemed the best prospect in the class, waits in the green room at Radio City Music Hall.
According to a report in the Detroit Free Press, as team executives unveiled the Detroit Lions "fierce" new logo, the gathered fans chanted for the team to avoid Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick, and instead use that selection to secure Curry, the Wake Forest linebacker.

Additionally, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, if the Lions don't pick Curry at No. 1, there's a growing belief that the St. Louis Rams might grab him at No. 2 overall. According to what one NFL scout told the Post-Dispatch, Curry would be able to step in and play as an every-down linebacker in the NFL from day one, and that "the offensive tackles are nice, but the best player is Curry. I mean, he's the best player in the draft."

If Curry is selected first overall, he'll join Hall of Famer Chuck Bednarik, Tommy Nobis (whose career many consider to be Hall of Fame-worthy), Tom Cousineau and Aundray Bruce as the only linebackers to be taken in that spot. Cousineau's claim to fame was that he was traded by the Buffalo Bills to the Cleveland Browns for the draft pick that turned into Jim Kelly, and Bruce was hyped as the next iteration of Lawrence Taylor leading up to the 1988 draft, but never broke through to the upper echelon during his 11-year career.

Anyone here think it's more than a pipe dream to think Curry would consider signing for less than last years pick for the honors of going number 1 and being one of only a few LB's to ever do that? It would be history making, because it has never happened, which is why I ask the question?

To be fair to him and to try and make it as even of a deal as possible, sign him as the highest paid LB in the league, for his versatility and speed alone. That should make him paid well but would save us money and squash any value arguments against the choice of him.

Then, just like you would with a QB you choose number 1, pick players that would support him and make him even better.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

April 21st, 2009, 10:21 am
Heisman Winner

Anyone here think it's more than a pipe dream to think Curry would consider signing for less than last years pick for the honors of going number 1 and being one of only a few LB's to ever do that? It would be history making, because it has never happened, which is why I ask the question?

To be fair to him and to try and make it as even of a deal as possible, sign him as the highest paid LB in the league, for his versatility and speed alone. That should make him paid well but would save us money and squash any value arguments against the choice of him.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I've been posting all along that Curry and his agent should absolutely cut the Lions a deal because the instant notoriety of a LB going #1 means huge dollars in endorsement deals. Especially for a guy of his integrity.

He'll go down in history and EVERYONE will know his name. It makes perfect sense.

The waiting game on this is driving me nuckin futs. new_shocked.gif

April 21st, 2009, 11:11 am
Player of the Year - Defense

I know the one thing some have used as a flag against drafting him #1 has been the # of sacks, since he wasn't asked to rush, so why take him so high if he's not going to be a pass rusher. And those people tend to overlook a very important stat - Tackles for loss. TFL is just as good as a sack in my eyes.

In 2008, Curry had 16 TFL as well as 2.5 sacks. For his Career, 45.5 TFL and 9.5 sacks, bring total to 55 tackles resulting in a loss.

Rey - 22.5 TFL over career, 9 sacks, so 31.5 tackles resulting in loss.
Lauranitis - 24.5 TFL, 13 sacks, and a 37.5 tackles resulting in loss.

To put in perspective with a pure pass rusher:
Orakpo - 38 TFL, 22 sacks for a 60 tackles resulting in loss. 5 more than Curry
Everette Brown - 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks for 69.5 tackles resulting in loss 14 more than Curry
Tyson Jackson - 31.5 TFL, 19.5 sacks for 51 tackles resulting in loss 4 LESS than Curry

So just because he wasn't asked to specifically go after the QB in Wake Forests scheme, he was more than capable of busting into the backfield to force a loss. Add to the fact that he can drop into coverage where he had 6 INTs (3 returned for TDs), i think people are underrating his abilities, even as highly as he's ranked now. Too much emphasis is placed on the sack #, ignoring those tackles for loss that accomplish the same thing and move the offense in the opposite direction.

April 21st, 2009, 12:11 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I know the one thing some have used as a flag against drafting him #1 has been the # of sacks, since he wasn't asked to rush, so why take him so high if he's not going to be a pass rusher. And those people tend to overlook a very important stat - Tackles for loss. TFL is just as good as a sack in my eyes.

In 2008, Curry had 16 TFL as well as 2.5 sacks. For his Career, 45.5 TFL and 9.5 sacks, bring total to 55 tackles resulting in a loss.

Everette Brown - 46.5 TFL, 23 sacks for 69.5 tackles resulting in loss 14 more than Curry
Tyson Jackson - 31.5 TFL, 19.5 sacks for 51 tackles resulting in loss 4 LESS than Curry

So just because he wasn't asked to specifically go after the QB in Wake Forests scheme, he was more than capable of busting into the backfield to force a loss. Add to the fact that he can drop into coverage where he had 6 INTs (3 returned for TDs), i think people are underrating his abilities, even as highly as he's ranked now. Too much emphasis is placed on the sack #, ignoring those tackles for loss that accomplish the same thing and move the offense in the opposite direction.

Good post!

NEVER GIVE UP!

April 21st, 2009, 12:25 pm
National Champion

Great points for sure. I'd say a TFL is as good as a sack as well. I think the other mistake people make when talking about him is the versatility we or any team would have with him. He weighs enough and is fast enough to play half the defensive positions. He outran all of the RB's at the combine, and weighs 30# or more than all of them (50#'s more than some).

For example, with us, these are some possibilities...

-He plays mainly as MLB.
-If Sims or Peterson gets hurt, he can take their position if that is better for the team (if the backup at MLB is better than the backups at WLB and SSLB, or left and right backer as they are called now in our scheme.)
-He could line up at DE or 9 technique LB and rush the QB on known passing plays.
-He could play S in the dime (prevents, etc).
-He could take over for Peterson in a few years if there aren't good OLB prospects that year and there are good MLB prospects.

There are probably other things he could do, but you get the point I'm trying to make.

The one thing that I keep coming back to when I think of reasons to draft him is transcending his position. He's not just a MLB (or SSLB naturally) he could do anything you ask him to (within reason). He could write the book as far as being the prototypical LB of the future (one that isn't pidgeon holed into just stopping the run or rushing the QB, but being multidimensional. After all, that is what our defense as a whole is trying to do, right? Become multidimensional and versatile? He's the posterboy for that.

April 21st, 2009, 12:25 pm
Heisman Winner

Nice breakdown. When you have Peterson lined up next to you in the LB corp, you don't have to be a sack guy. You become the coverage man and with his 4.5 speed, he'll stay with those TEs and RBs outta the backfield and put the fear of god into WRs breaking off their routes on hot reads and slants in the middle.

Having said all that, there's no reason to think he couldn't be a sack guy down the road learning from one of the best in Peterson.

April 21st, 2009, 12:28 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I also think back to the conversation about the "typical MLB" coming out in the nickel, and envision leaving Curry in, Rush 3 lineman, then you could pick Sims, Curry or Peterson to rush on that particular down, or send 2 for more pressure instead of the typical corner/safety blitz in the nickle. No one could predict which LB was coming, you still have your 5 corners, and you're rushing 4. And Curry might just be better than most nickle backs on our roster.

April 21st, 2009, 12:54 pm
Div 1 - Starter

I don't know if it was posted elsewhere, but I enjoyed Bob Gaunt's interview with DraftTek's Mike Schottey because he suggests that maybe all of Millen's unpredictability (or assinine history) with draft picks may have us all overthinking this thing. Maybe, like 2007, the top overall player is completely obvious (in that year, only an owner with an equally sketchy draft resume skipped over the obvious top talent, CJ, when the media made another player look like a cyborg, JaMarcus).

Quote:
"My mantra has always been 'take the best player available at a position of need,'" Schottey said. "Matt Millen kind of screwed that up many times because he just kept taking these best players available, like wide receivers, in the first round, that wasn't really a position of need. And then in later rounds, he'd take players that were a need, and he would reach for them so far that fans would sit there and say 'Who is this?'

"With (general manager Martin) Mayhew and Schwartz in the fold, I assume that things might get back to normal, and we might have some semblance of normal drafting for the Lions.

"So I say, rather than reaching for best player available at a position you don't need, or reaching for a position you need when it's not the best player, take both.

"I can't be comfortable saying the Lions will reach for this seventh-best, eighth-best player (Stafford). It all matters about the team draft board, but I don't see how everyone can say that Curry is a better player than Stafford, but somehow, the Lions brass are seeing differently."

full article here

My favorite day ever as a Lions fan.

Somehow landing the Ndamo-nator would be the second best day ever.

April 21st, 2009, 1:26 pm
National Champion

Just wanted to throw this tidbit out there that I heard today as well.

Alex Smith (LB) used to wear #59; today he changed it to #52? What gives?!?! What draft choice for number 1 wears 59?!?

Lol. I'm not sure if it means what I'm making it out to be, but it is what it is, so I threw it out there.

Hopefully you guys realize that J.P. wears 59 as well. Sorry, I had to!

PS: It could still be good news for Curry but every day we come closer to the draft, I think the Lions are picking Stafford; but we can still hope.

April 21st, 2009, 4:12 pm
Afghan Allstar

"There would be no escaping me."

What an attitude! Why do we not have this guy signed yet?

April 21st, 2009, 4:37 pm
Walk On

Reporter: "What will happen to Lewand and Mayhew if they don't draft you?"

Curry: "There would be no escaping me."

Everything's funnier out of context.

-ILMP

April 22nd, 2009, 7:21 pm
All State

At first, I wasn’t sure that it would make sense to take Curry at No. 1 because we acquired Peterson. The more and more I look at it now, the more I support the idea of drafting him. He exudes character, he’d be a leader, a hard worker, and a team player. He’s willing to take less money then Jake Long, and if that’s the case, it’s definitely less money then Stafford is willing to take. Call Condon’s bluff and SIGN CURRY already! Show these greedy aholes that teams shouldn’t be forced to look at the No. 1 pick as burden, not an asset. Take our defense from 32 to 15th if you add a solid DT and CB or S in the draft. Give the next QB a fighting chance to win if he isn’t behind by 24 at half time and has to make forced throws and bad decisions.

I'm at least optimistic that it could happen now. Mayhew was gushing over Curry before, and they've said that the draft picks will be a unanimous decision between Mayhew and Schwartz. At least that means that if they pick Stafford and he's a bust, then we won't be hearing Schwartz complain when he's let go in 3 years that he was doomed for failure from the beginning because he felt Stafford wasn't the right pick and Mayhew and Ford took him anyway.

April 23rd, 2009, 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next