View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 21st, 2014, 4:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 2009 Detroit Lions Draft Grades 
NFL Veteran

Post 2009 Detroit Lions Draft Grades
1a. Matthew Stafford QB Georgia - C
Not much to be said. Aaron Curry was the top prospect. Charly Casserly said he was the best LB prospect he's seen in a decade. I understand the Stafford Pick though, and I'm confident that the Lions did their homework.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State - C
The shocker was passing on Rey and Oher which were pressing needs, for a luxury. We get a hint that this is a strict BPA draft strategy the Lions are implementing. Pettigrew is Stafford insurance though. Will improve running game (an objective) and provide a safety valve for Stafford.

2. Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan - B
Once this pick was made it became painfully obvious that we would completely ignore our needs and go BPA all the way. Not with passing on Maualuga who would plug our biggest hole. Delmas though is the top 1 or 2 safety in this class, and the kid has great character and leadership qualities.

3a. DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin - D
I had him rated in the 6th round. He didn't exactly fit the bill of getting bigger and stronger. But he is super quick and is a turnover machine. Still I think they could've waited a round or two for him. He had an injury that should've made him available much later.

3b. Derrick Williams WR Penn State - C
Not my highest rated reciever here. But he's a free faller. Projected as a high as 1st or 2nd round, he falls. But any decision made on him is purely made on tape. He doesn't have spectacular measurables, nor does he have impressive statistics. He does look good on tape though. He's also a good Punt Returner, but it's a little high to take a guy strictly for returning punts.

4. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman - A+
Best pick of the lions draft. He's huge and athletic. And he has great character, and won't take plays off. My favorite DT in the draft after BJ Raji.

6. Aaron Brown RB TCU - F
Hated this pick by all measures. If you wanted a running back, there were better running backs. If you wanted one with scat ability, there were better ones. If you wanted a speed back, there were better speed backs. If you wanted pass catchers, there were better ones. If you wanted someone with versatility, there were better prospects with versatility. He is a top notch returner so Schwartz will utilize him. I will complete rescind this grade if he takes some kicks to the house.

7a. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska - A
Workout warrior. Great as a developmental prospect. He was the most athletic Tackle at the combine. The only sub 5 second 40, tackle by a mile! 4.82 seconds. He runs as fast as Pettigrew. 35" Vertical! 9' 2" Broad Jump! 4.34 sec Shuttle and 7.06 second 3 cone drill! That's skill position numbers right there! He's had injury problems, but that's a risk you can take in the 7th round.

7b. Zach Follet OLB California - A
If USC had the best LB corp in the PAC10, California was 2nd. And it was headlined by Zach Follet, who is a fly all over the field type of player. Excellent value.

7c. Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland - B
Great blocker. I think we just may have a pretty brutal jumbo package if you line up him and Pettigrew at the book ends.

Overall: C.

Post yours, or media peoples grades here.

April 26th, 2009, 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I can't quibble with any of the Lions' picks. I love this draft. Maybe I'm the only one, I dunno.

April 26th, 2009, 8:06 pm
NFL Veteran

Day 2 put a smile on my face. Specifically 4th round onward. I'll still give the benefit of the doubt to Schwartz whom I said I trust implicitly to turn this team around.

April 26th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I think you were too harsh on the front picks.

Pettigrew for sure because he helps with the line and opens up a passing threat. To get down on the lions for taking him instead of Rey when Rey was passed on by all those other teams who obviously thought different than us. I'm just gonna hafta leave it with the fact you had your rating scale and it just didn't match up to the NFL's 32 teams for most all your grades.

April 26th, 2009, 8:18 pm
Bubbles the Lion

I would give them something in the B-/C+ range. It was a very confusing draft, in that we have not seen our team draft this way (BPA) in a very long time. Oh sure, they always say they will, but this time we actually did.

I think the two LB's we drafted will make, or break, this draft. When I say this draft, I'm talking about all of our draft after Stafford. Right now I'm keeping that pick in a separate catagory. If at least one does not become a solid player, we failed to address our Defense properly.

I hate the Levy pick in Rd. 3, and love the Follet pick in Rd. 7. Can either on bulk up and play the MIKE? I guess we'll find out soon enough. Of the other picks, I love Mutha in Rd. 7, and think we did a good job picking Pettigrew(1a) and Delmas(2nd Rd).

I also hate the Williams pick (meaning both picks in Rd. 3). We should have taken a CB who can return kicks, not another WR--will the jokes never end? We should trade all our 3rd round picks for the next ten years, we can never seem to get any value in this round!

I like the thought on Hill in the 4th. He has the measurables Schwartz wants. We'll just have to see if he develops.

April 26th, 2009, 8:31 pm
NFL Veteran

Pettigrew for sure because he helps with the line and opens up a passing threat. To get down on the lions for taking him instead of Rey when Rey was passed on by all those other teams who obviously thought different than us. I'm just gonna hafta leave it with the fact you had your rating scale and it just didn't match up to the NFL's 32 teams for most all your grades.

My grades are based on months of research of looking at each of the prospects. Reading profiles, scouring for video, and reading articles. I'm not going to change my perception based on what others think nor on how the draft actually unfolded in a mere weekend. It kind of goes against the principle of spending all that time anyway. Further it's also based on a strategy that I thought they should follow. BPA with an eye out for glaring needs. They went BPA all the way. I can only compliment them on the fact that they did not deviate from their strategy.

April 26th, 2009, 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

I also must give them props for sticking to their guns on BPA. It is almost never done. They obviously felt that we were so talent-deficant, that this was the only way we had to go. At 0-16, it may be one of the few times when this is the correct strategy.

I will be interested to see what UFA's they pick up. We have never done a decent job on this--IMO.

April 26th, 2009, 8:45 pm
1st Round Pick

steensn wrote:

My grades are based on months of research of looking at each of the prospects. Reading profiles, scouring for video, and reading articles. I'm not going to change my perception based on what others think nor on how the draft actually unfolded in a mere weekend. It kind of goes against the principle of spending all that time anyway. Further it's also based on a strategy that I thought they should follow. BPA with an eye out for glaring needs. They went BPA all the way. I can only compliment them on the fact that they did not deviate from their strategy.

I like your grades, right now I think this is a C draft. Now it has potential. Right now pettigrew and Delmas look to be starters. Williams or Brown will be our return guy allowing us to finaly cut Cason and Calhoun. And Hill will Start of as a rotation guy at DT probably end up the starter by seasons end. I think the 3 7th rounders might all make the team and contribute not only on special teams but in jumbo sets on offense and Follet in the basic defensive packages. Even if were using the BPA strategy, well atleast we can see a strategy unlike with Millens drafts.

Last edited by Lionman3 on April 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 26th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Cheerleader

Not a surprise. Hopefully will be able to learn the system well sittin behind Culpepper, won't be surprised to see him coming in before the end of the season. Top rated prospect, but won't get an A because he's not the best player available.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew TE Oklahoma State - B+
This pick shocked me. Oher on the board looked really good. However, much like above, Pettigrew is a top rated prospect. Will help out the running and passing game. Looks to be a day one starter. High grade but not an A for the same reason.

2. Louis Delmas FS Western Michigan - B
I would love this pick if we didn't have bigger holes to fill. Is he the best player available, not so sure. Rey and Brace still on the board, hard to pass them up.

3a. DeAndre Levy OLB Wisconsin - C
This seems to me to b the only reach in the draft. I think he will contribute and turn out to be someone we might even bulk up to play inside, however, I saw a lot of players that I would consider better players, CB or OL help here would have been great.

3b. Derrick Williams WR Penn State - B
My opinion on this one might differ than most but trust me, he's not only good value but I think he will contribute this year not only returning but in our WR corps. He'll surprise you.

4. Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman - A+
Great pick. Huge guy. Huge need. This is what you look for, the BPA meets the need. Great pick.

6. Aaron Brown RB TCU - F
Could he turn out to be a great returner, yes, but I think there was better value here. There were some great backs on the board that would have helped our backfield with a change of pace. Hope I am wrong, but even if he becomes amazing, too early to take him.

7a. Lydon Murtha OT Nebraska - A
Talk about measurables. Good value due to injury problems. He looked good at the combine and could come in and compete for a spot. At the very least could be a great backup.

7b. Zach Follet OLB California - A
This pick is probably my second favorite. I don't know how he dropped this far. After reading more about him when they took him I would not be surprised to see him in the MLB position. He is a great tackler and great rusher. If we can get a 7th rounder starting for us then the FO did their job here.

7c. Dan Gronkowski TE Maryland - C+
Strictly a blocker here. I think he'll help out on special teams and running game, but I think we could have locked up a better player.

Overall: B

When you are as bad as we are a solid B draft is like an A+ for other teams. There are reasons for optimism in this draft.

April 26th, 2009, 8:53 pm
Stats Boy

Best player available is 100% relative. We have no idea what their draft board looked like. Surely to hell they had Luga rated in the top 20 (i can believe they had Pettigrew higher tho) altho i do suppose Delmas could have been in their top 20 as well tbh.

But Aaron Brown? You'll not convince me they had him rated that high. Dude probably should have been a FA. I would have rather had Antone Smith, but I'm an FSU homer anyway.

April 26th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Pop Warner Allstar

HB, I pretty much agree with all your grades, and the overall assessment.

I also think that Derrick Williams has serious bust potential. He just never stood out at Penn State until his senior year (when he only really made an impact in the return game), he is not even close to being a polished WR, and honestly, I don't know how well he will transition to the NFL in terms of being a return guy.

April 26th, 2009, 8:59 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

Best player available is 100% relative. We have no idea what their draft board looked like. Surely to hell they had Luga rated in the top 20 (i can believe they had Pettigrew higher tho) altho i do suppose Delmas could have been in their top 20 as well tbh.

But Aaron Brown? You'll not convince me they had him rated that high. Dude probably should have been a FA. I would have rather had Antone Smith, but I'm an FSU homer anyway.

Glad to see I'm not the lone garnet & gold fan on this forum :arrow:
I would have liked Antone Smith as well, his speed on the outside would have complemented smith nicely. As far as Undrafted Rookies I think we should pick up Graham Gano, Kicker, he's got a strong leg, he's consistent and he can also punt pretty damn well too. During the bowl game against Wisconsin he placed three first-quarter punts inside the 4, including two inside the 1.

April 26th, 2009, 9:17 pm
1st Round Pick

cdec518 wrote:

Glad to see I'm not the lone garnet & gold fan on this forum :arrow:
I would have liked Antone Smith as well, his speed on the outside would have complemented smith nicely. As far as Undrafted Rookies I think we should pick up Graham Gano, Kicker, he's got a strong leg, he's consistent and he can also punt pretty damn well too. During the bowl game against Wisconsin he placed three first-quarter punts inside the 4, including two inside the 1.

we always sign a kicker to give Hanson a break in Camp the guy you mentioned I dont think would have a serrious chance of making our team Hanson Just signed a new deal and I think the front office is happy with harris.

April 26th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Lionbacker Rehab Guru

1a. Matthew Stafford ,QB, Georgia : F, Wrong guy, wrong price. Coulda had Smith, Curry, Monroe.
Shoulda traded down for anything they could get.

1b. Brandon Pettigrew, TE, Oklahoma State: D
Good guy, Wrong position.
Coulda/Shoulda had Peria Jerry

2. Louis Delmas, FS, Western Michigan: D
If they'd already had Peria Jerry, I would've graded this higher as together they would have greatly improved the Defense. As it stands, Coudla/Shoulda taken Malauga or Laurenitis.

3a. DeAndre Levy, OLB, Wisconsin: C+
This was the beggining of their better picks. Right position, but a little late. Still should help in year one.

3b. Derrick Williams, WR, Penn State: F
Coulda had TJ Lang, OT

4. Sammie Lee Hill, DT, Stillman: B+ (If I were in a better mood I might say A-)
We finally address our defensive line. Too late maybe, but this looks like a high quality pick.

6. Aaron Brown, RB, TCU: F
QB, TE, WR, and now RB. Stupid, stupid stupid.

7a. Lydon Murtha, OT, Nebraska: B- (Woulda been an A if he didn't have a jerk namesake.)
Very good late round, good quality pick.

7b. Zach Follet, OLB, California: B+
Another very good late round, good quality pick.

7c. Dan Gronkowski, TE, Maryland: D (woulda been a B if they didn't already have a TE)
Hey if they'd drafted a kicker here my weekend would have been excellent. Instead, as the whole weekend went, I was left unsatisfied.

Overall: F as in FFF!@#$%^&KKK

The players they have are OK, but they filled positions in the wrong order, and as a result with the wrong players. Their whole draft strategy (did they have a strategy?) sucked. The same is true with their trades. If they'd traded down from the first pick, life would have been much better. I don't buy for a minute that they didnt get a good offer. Mayhew just won't trade for anything less than a player, the owner's grand daughter, and a 3rd world hooker.

April 26th, 2009, 10:27 pm
Stats Boy

We were going to overpay for whoever we picked #1 and there wasn't really anything the Lions could do about it. We are on at minimum a 2-year rebuilding plan, so grabbing a smart, strong armed and experienced QB now isn't a bad idea. Had he stayed he would have been in the discussion to be the first QB picked next year, don't doubt that.

Pettigrew will be an A. And if you are grading on need, we needed a TE too. This guy will improve our running and passing games tremendously and was supposed to go way higher.

I was pissed about Delmas when we took him over Maualuga, but after I studied up on him a bit harder I was quite pleased. This guy is a phenomenal football player and should start from day 1.

Levy, Williams and Brown all kinda took me by surprise and they will have to do a lot to convince me that they didnt mess those picks up badly. But I love the Hill pick.

Murtha and Follett have great potential, and if nothing else they will help on special teams (which, by the wya, we sucked at last year). I like Follett even more than Levy tbh, damn the 40 times.

Gronkowski...meh not gonna even bother.

Im going B overall, and A if Stafford brings any kind of stability to us.
TBH had they taken Luga at 33 it would be an A no matter what.

April 26th, 2009, 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next