View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 28th, 2014, 4:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Thoughts on Harrington 
QB Coach

Post Thoughts on Harrington
Is he ever going to become a good NFL QB?

I don't think so. I don't see it in him.

So what do we do?

We can't unload his contract, McMahon isn't the answer?

We need to find a bargain QB! Someone like Brady was for NE, and then we can trade Harrington, like New England did with Bledsoe.

I don't think he is the answer.

Any thoughts?

November 15th, 2004, 1:31 am
Profile WWW
5th Round Pick - Traded

I don't know if it's in him.......in this offense. Is just doesn't seem like he is a West Coast Offense type of quarterback. It may just be that he could be brilliant in a different offense, somthing that requires more of a pocket passer.

November 15th, 2004, 7:39 am
Water Boy

I think we need to see him in a decent offense before we can judge him finally.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to be consistent without a run game.

I'm excited to see Rogers and Williams out on the field together. They will be a force.

November 15th, 2004, 8:43 am
RIP Killer

.I think we need to see him in a decent offense before we can judge him finally.

It's IMPOSSIBLE to be consistent without a run game.

I'm excited to see Rogers and Williams out on the field together. They will be a force.
- totally agree

I've been frustrated with his performance the last few weeks including yesterday. But to be fair

1) Jones dropped a number of passes
2) Sledge dropped a critical 4th down conversion pass
3) Alexander dropped a TD that was right in his hands
4) Kircus and Williams both had TD catches ripped out

I agree with CMU. No running game makes it very difficult to be successful in this offense. On a number of plays I counted the Jags in the box, often it was just 7 so they had 5 guys in coverage and the 7 (with a LB or 2 dropping back) were getting huge pressure on Joey.

No running game, poor oline blocking, dropped passes, etc... I think the Lions have a number of things to fix before they give up on Joey. If not, they will wind up like San Diego with a star QB that they gave up on who will be gone after this season with nothing to show for it.

As far as McMahon and Mirer - they need to draft a QB in the mid to late rounds this year...

Last edited by Pablo on November 15th, 2004, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 15th, 2004, 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Water Boy

Joey is not getting it done. Frankly i think he is making it worse.

Yesterdays Game there was a perfect opportunity for a big gain/first down, on a pass to roy williams.

Joey instead of hitting him on the run. he throws it behind williams, which cause williams to get SMOKED from behind by jacksonvilles linebacker.

If Roy Williams would have gotten injured right there whos fault would it have been?

He just doesnt want it. Brett Farve in his early years made mistakes also, but he wanted it bad, he was tough he got into players for not doing their job, and he made people around him better. Its time for people not just harrington to step up.

And what about our O line..... horrible, not generating holes for kevin jones who imo is a decent back. Look at denvers back droughns who btw used to play for the lions. He did nothing for the lions. Y? its our o line. Look at him now on denver having the season of his life. Denver knows o Line and run offense though. just my opinion .

O and btw what the hell was up with the first drive where we made it down to jags territory, and instead of kicking a field goal that would have put us in the lead, we go for it, throw easy pass to alexander which he drops that 3 points could have made a difference.

November 15th, 2004, 11:44 am
All State

joey has seemed to regressed the last few weeks after an outstanding game against the giants.

i'm right there with you - why didn't they kick the field goal. then again, hanson missed the chip shot after that and looked to slip on the one he did make.

tons of opportunities to win but the lions didn't take advantage of them. but if you take out eddie drummond the lions got killed in first downs, total yardage, time of pos., etc... they really didn't deserve to win that game.

when the game went to ot i thought the lions would win. they had all the momentum and their defense was shutting down the jags. i'm really disappointed how they seemed to just fall apart in the overtime.

November 15th, 2004, 1:37 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

What do we do about Joey? I agree 100% that he doesn't have it in him, and he isn't going to ever become a good NFL QB. I don't like him as a QB, he doesn't seem like he is ever going to grow up and mature, and his accuracy this season is overrated.

The only solution to the Joey problem would be to possibly to what New England did with Drew Bledsoe. Get a replacement for cheap (Tom Brady), groom him, and hopefully he can take the reigns. We can't afford to pick up a Drew Brees, or a Matt Hasselbeck, because then the position would be too expensive for us. We can't cut Joey because of the cap hit it would take on us. The only logical solution is getting a cheap late round QB and hopefully having him take over like Brady has done, then dealing with Harrington after his contract is nearly up.

Quote:
He just doesnt want it. Brett Farve in his early years made mistakes also, but he wanted it bad, he was tough he got into players for not doing their job, and he made people around him better. Its time for people not just harrington to step up.

Good point on this post...I just don't see it in Harrington, when players make mistakes coming back to the huddle, he claps his hands and is like "we are going to get them next time". Show some passion Joey, do something on the sidelines. You can't accept performances like the ones you have put up recently every week, you need to show passion.

November 15th, 2004, 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

2) Sledge dropped a critical 4th down conversion pass.

In Schlesinger's defense, The pass was thrown behind him and at his feet, instead of ahead of him. He had to change the direction of his route, and adjust to the catch, something he shouldn't have to do on a critical 4th down.

November 15th, 2004, 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Varsity Benchwarmer

O and btw what the hell was up with the first drive where we made it down to jags territory, and instead of kicking a field goal that would have put us in the lead, we go for it, throw easy pass to alexander which he drops that 3 points could have made a difference.

That was strange, doesn't sound typical of Mooch either. I couldn't see the game so this is just a stab in the dark, but could it be that Hansen wasn't 100% health wise. How did his kickoffs look? Did anyone in Detroit hear or read anything about that call?

I know some people knock Mooch for being too conservative, that certainly wasn't. I don't get that call though :?

November 16th, 2004, 12:44 am
Water Boy

welll it did seem like something was wierd with Hanson.

First time they didnt even attempt an easy kick.

Next, Hanson Missed an easy chip shot hooked it wide.

Then on the kick he did make, it seemed like he slipped or something i couldnt really tell but it looked pretty weird.

November 16th, 2004, 8:54 am
Water Boy

I think wind was definetly an issue Sunday. If you notice, the Jags never threw any deep balls. Most of their gains were from running or 5-10 yard passes. Maybe Mooch didn't give that field goal because it would have been a 40 yarder into the wind. I think I read that the winds were up to 25 mph. Regarding that pass to Roy, the wind definetly caught that one, not to mention it was a 40 yard pass. Heres a quote from Roy after the game.

"In my opinion, we were running by him all day," Williams said. "He's giving us the outside and every time we threw a deep ball it went to the inside. That was because of the wind, it wasn't because it was a bad throw. That made it easy for him. The wind caused some problems for us, especially the one over the middle in the fourth quarter that I had to reach back and got hit by Donovin Darius."

November 16th, 2004, 12:11 pm
Site Admin

Well for those who poopoo McMahon he has never had the opportunities that Harrington has been given. For a team as inconsistent as the lions can be we need a multidimensional QB which Harrington is off course not. If the knock on McMahon is inaccuracy let him prove it. Personally I think he is more of Moochs style QB anyways.

Think about it...why do we love Roy so much...cause he has made amazing catches right? Well...he should not have to make amazing catches IMO. Joey gets the nod because of his contract and his draft #...but in this NFL you cannot be so shortsighted to keep forcing this guy on the field. McMahon has never had a shot on this team because he has NEVER had anyone to throw too. Anyways...if it is not McMahon it certainly is not Joey. We for the most part applaud Millen for his drafts...well Joey was not his pick and anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

November 16th, 2004, 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

Good points by all. This will continue to be a heated topic.
I don't know what the deal is. I still look at many faults on this team and that includes Mr. Harrington. But I also think he could still be our guy if things can come together as a whole on this team. It's funny how we are just inconsistant from one side of the ball to the other. Right now, I wouldn't think any QB could come in here and improve things much.

I feel as though there are some holes that need to be filled. Running game looked better but still has a ways to go. Receivers either not getting open enough or they drop balls. Blocking is not good so far, but is getting a lil better. Joe has looked pretty bad the last few games. And our defense is young and old at some spots and they will improve as the games pass by. Special teams look really good. ( other then the missed field goal ) Eddie, Eddie , Eddie! Pro Bowl maybe? I sure think so!

Big game this weekend! Let's see which team shows up on Sunday. The team that played the Giants or the team that played Jags.

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 16th, 2004, 1:43 pm
QB Coach

And Welcome To The Boards!

November 16th, 2004, 3:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

You forgot to tell me about how stellar my post too was Brian...remember that huh??? :lol:

November 16th, 2004, 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next