View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 1:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hossa and others lost to free agency 
NFL Team Captain

Post Hossa and others lost to free agency
The Wings have to find a way to sign Hossa to a long term contract. I know that it would be costly to do so but don't you think that it would be worth it to keep the best line in the NHL together for more than 1 season?

I know that we would lose some good players by doing this but in the long run I think that it would great.

Let's keep the dynasty going. :idea: :idea: :idea:

October 26th, 2008, 4:31 pm
Walk On

Showed some great skill again tonight. One step and he was gone for a beautiful powerplay goal.

While I still think I'd keep Henrik and Johan over him with Franzen's injury we may have to re-evailuate the situation and see how bad Johan is hurt.

October 28th, 2008, 1:58 am
Walk On

All I can say is that the wings would be in trouble without Hossa. Mabey Pavel and Hendrik would still be on the same line ,but Hossa has been the best scorer since about 5-7 games into the season.

Watching him and Pavel run loops around the opposing teams D is truly fun to watch. Need Homer back to plug up that middle.

Outshot the ducks last night about 50 to 20. GOOD STUFF!!!!!

December 2nd, 2008, 12:45 pm
NFL Team Captain

It appears that the Wings are going to let Hossa hit the FA market. Anybody have any further info?

June 28th, 2009, 7:53 pm
NFL Team Captain

I hate to answer my own question....but. To overstate the obvious, Ken Holland was quoted as saying he was not optimistic about the Wings' chances of resigning Hossa.

I'm guessing that they have atleast talked to him. Wonder what was said.

June 29th, 2009, 8:46 am
Modmin Dude

Monday, June 29, 2009
Ken Holland says Wings, Marian Hossa still far apart in talks

Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News
Detroit -- The Red Wings were hoping to secure the signing of Marian Hossa to a long-term contract over the weekend.

Instead, they could be preparing for next season without him.

General manager Ken Holland and Hossa's agent, Ritch Winter, met several times in Montreal at the NHL entry draft but came no closer to making a deal.

The sides are far apart. And with little chance of re-signing Hossa, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Wings trade Hossa's negotiating rights today to an interested team for draft picks.

That team would have exclusive rights to re-sign Hossa until unrestricted free agency begins Wednesday.

Los Angeles and Minnesota, teams that have a large amount of money available under the salary cap, might be interested in acquiring Hossa.

"I'm not optimistic," Holland said Sunday of his chances of re-signing Hossa. "There's only so much salary-cap space we have left. I like Marian and I'd like to have him back. But if he decides to leave, I completely understand.

"We'll see if there's any traction the next couple of days."

With the salary cap only $100,000 higher than last season -- it'll be $56.8 million for 2009-10 -- the Wings have precious little room to maneuver.

The Wings have 19 players signed for approximately $53 million.

With forwards Mikael Samuelsson and Tomas Kopecky also unrestricted free agents, Jiri Hudler a restricted free agent and the Hossa problem still there, Holland will have difficulty keeping the roster together at all.

Holland also said the Wings will not bring back unrestricted free-agent goalie Ty Conklin. Jimmy Howard will serve as Chris Osgood's backup next season.

As for Hossa, the Wings are believed to be offering a long-term contract, maybe as long as 8-10 years, with a salary-cap hit of approximately $4 million to $4.5 million. Most of the money would be front-loaded, with the latter part of the contract averaging maybe much less.

But Winter and Hossa are reportedly asking for something closer to the $6 million to $7 million range, leaving a wide gap between the two sides.

Hossa could have a contract that's worth approximately $15 million more on the open market.

Winter did not return phone calls left Sunday.

Conklin leaving
As for Conklin, the veteran goalie likely can double the $750,000 he made this past season on the open market. Several teams are in the market for a goalie of Conklin's stature.

With Howard out of minor league options, the decision was made to go with Howard backing up Osgood.

"It's time to see what Jimmy can do," Holland said. "Ty did a great job for us."

Howard, a second-round draft choice in 2003, has spent the majority of the last four seasons in Grand Rapids. He's 1-5-0 with the Wings in brief appearances over four seasons.

Draft recap
Holland liked the high-end skill potential of the Wings' draft picks, in particular the top three picks.

Forwards Landon Ferraro , Tomas Tatar and Andrej Nestrasil were considered elite offensive prospects by many scouting services.

"We like them. Now, you hope that in two or three years, some of these kids can help our team down the line," Holland said.

"They just need to mature and get stronger."

ted.kulfan@detnews.com (313) 223-4606

Find this article at:
http://www.detnews.com/article/20090629 ... t-in-talks

Looks like they're too far apart. you know Hossa will be able to get what he wants from some team out there.

June 29th, 2009, 9:13 am
NFL Team Captain

June 29th, 2009, 5:50 pm
QB Coach

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/11912773

Hossa to Chicago for 12 years.

Hawks also snagged Tomas Kopecky.

July 1st, 2009, 4:18 pm
Modmin Dude

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/11912773

Hossa to Chicago for 12 years.

Hawks also snagged Tomas Kopecky.

Dammit Bowman! :shock: :twisted:

July 1st, 2009, 4:45 pm
RIP Killer

July 1st, 2009, 7:55 pm
Modmin Dude

Saturday, July 4, 2009
Roundup
Mikael Samuelsson joining Canucks
Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News
Detroit -- And then there were none.

The final unrestricted free agent from Detroit flew the coop Friday, as expected, when forward Mikael Samuelsson signed with the Vancouver Canucks.

Samuelsson accepted a three-year deal worth $7.5 million. He made $1.2 million with the Wings last season but would have been offered no more than $1.5 million per season from Detroit.

"Obviously (the money) was the key, I shouldn't lie," Samuelsson said in a telephone conference call. "They have a good thing going, and I think my role can be a little different here."

After scoring 19 goals (21 assists) during the regular season, Samuelsson had five goals and five assists in the postseason. Samuelsson, who at 6-foot-2 provides size, could wind up playing on the same line with twins Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

"I like the team," Samuelsson said. "When you play against Vancouver, it's always a hard game and a skill game, too. You need some experience (to win the Cup). You need to be hungry. I believe we can do some damage."

General manager Ken Holland, who has $3 million to $4 million left to spend on three forwards, is working on signing restricted free agents Jiri Hudler and Ville Leino.

http://detnews.com/article/20090704/SPO ... ng-Canucks

July 6th, 2009, 10:18 am
NFL Team Captain

We have lost, Hossa. Kopecky, Samuelson, Conklin, Chelios and even lost Hudler to Russia.

We have not signed a FA (that I know of).

It seems to me that if Ken Holland would have had any idea that all these guys were going these guys were going bolt we could have made a much stronger push to resign Hossa.

I know that we had 2 or 3 guys come in from Grand Rapids and do a fine job in the playoffs, but are they going to be enough to offset the players lost.

I know that Cheli is about done playing but he is still a great role player.

With Conklin leaving we get Jimmy Howard as our backup goalie. He hasn't shown to me that he belongs in the NHL.

Does anybody have any info on any plans or rumors about what we are going to do to fill holes. Holland must have something up his sleave.

I just hope so :shock: :(

Go Wings......Please

July 13th, 2009, 10:12 am
Walk On

Holland always has somthing up his sleeve. Thats a given. While losing Hossa, Hudler, Samuelson, hurts the scoring offense I think we'll be ok.

Hossa's scoring disapeared in the playoffs, Hudler is just to little (he was always getting rubed outa plays), Samuelson added toughness but wasnt a great skater and was getting up there in age.

Helm, Abdelkater, Leino are solid replacements. Cheli hurts just for the veteran role but I'm sure we'll find a good defensive replacement.

Jimmy Howard needs to step up for sure. Now is his chance!

July 15th, 2009, 11:20 am
Holland always has somthing up his sleeve. Thats a given. While losing Hossa, Hudler, Samuelson, hurts the scoring offense I think we'll be ok.

Hossa's scoring disapeared in the playoffs, Hudler is just to little (he was always getting rubed outa plays), Samuelson added toughness but wasnt a great skater and was getting up there in age.

Helm, Abdelkater, Leino are solid replacements. Cheli hurts just for the veteran role but I'm sure we'll find a good defensive replacement.

Jimmy Howard needs to step up for sure. Now is his chance!

Is anyone 100% positive that we lost Hudler? I know he wants to play in Russia, but last I heard we were appealing to some international sports board or something like that, claiming that we had "rights" to him.

That aside, Jimmy Howard will probably be off of the team after this year. The dood is a bust. He simply has no motivation. He sucked in GR until they got someone to replace him, then he stepped it up temporarily, and went right back down to playing just well enough to stay on the team. He seems like a pothead to me, but w/e the reason, the simple truth is the guy doesn't have any motiviation to be better than he currently is.

I like Abdicator and Helm, but Leino needs more time in the minors, IMO.

This team is better off without Cheli. The time to dump him was before last season. We didn't know that, and he was worth keeping around just for the reassurances he provided to this team, but he had gotten so old last year that an energetic rookie was better on the ice than he was. I'm glad he came here, but it's time for him to move on from his playing days.

What worries me the most is our lack of ability to sign a physical defender. That would have been my goal of the off-season, but I'm still not worried. My second biggest worry is not having someone to replace Ozzie, but I think that will work itself out in the next year or so. I'm pretty confident that we'll make a move during the season for someone that a team wants to get rid of for salary cap reasons. I think we have something like $4.5 mill to spend, and that will work nicely in our favor when the trade dead-line comes around.

July 15th, 2009, 7:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]