View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 No lockout ? NBA labor deal reached 
Modmin Dude

Post No lockout ? NBA labor deal reached
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8295646/

June 21st, 2005, 3:45 pm
QB Coach

It's nice to see that College coaches can recruit again, without the trouble of wasting their time on kids that will be in the NBA.

I am wondering about the developmental league. There are so many players drafted, that never make it because they need time to develop. I remember that being a possible addition to the agreement. Why didn't that happen? Financial issues?

Why wasn't the age limit 20? Now kids are going to go to college (which is nice), but leave after their first year? Three years, like the NFL, would be a good requirement, but I can live with two. Unfortunately the NBA did one.

Good thing they did the age limit. Only a couple non-lottery high schoolers have panned out.

June 21st, 2005, 8:56 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Why wasn't the age limit 20? Now kids are going to go to college (which is nice), but leave after their first year? Three years, like the NFL, would be a good requirement, but I can live with two. Unfortunately the NBA did one.

I know that Stern wanted the age limit to be 20, but I'm sure the reason he budged on that is because he was afraid of an impending lockout. I think he saw what the lockout did to alienate fans of the NHL, and he did not want to go down that route.

BTW, anyone notice that the age limit for foreign players was only 18 :?
Not too sure what that was about.

Tim

June 22nd, 2005, 3:18 pm

I am wondering about the developmental league. There are so many players drafted, that never make it because they need time to develop. I remember that being a possible addition to the agreement. Why didn't that happen? Financial issues?

Actually Brian, this did happen. Basically, it says that any player in his first 2 years in the league can be sent down and called up at anytime. Kind of like a minor league system. So instead of a player riding the bench, he can be sent down to get some playing time.

Now, if only this was around when Darko was drafted :wink:

Tim

June 22nd, 2005, 3:44 pm
QB Coach

Basically, it says that any player in his first 2 years in the league can be sent down and called up at anytime. Kind of like a minor league system. So instead of a player riding the bench, he can be sent down to get some playing time.

Where exactly are they being sent down to, though?

June 22nd, 2005, 8:23 pm
Profile WWW

Where exactly are they being sent down to, though?

If you mean as far as a minor league NBDL team specifically for our player's, I'm not too sure about that. I think they are still working out all the details for that.

Tim

June 23rd, 2005, 11:05 am
QB Coach

I just read an ESPN Insider article telling me all about it - sounds good. Let me post it in a second.

June 23rd, 2005, 11:06 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Quote:

Actually Brian, this did happen. Basically, it says that any player in his first 2 years in the league can be sent down and called up at anytime. Kind of like a minor league system. So instead of a player riding the bench, he can be sent down to get some playing time.

Now, if only this was around when Darko was drafted :wink:

Would it be possible to kick Darko off the team and send him down to those minor leagues, thus opening up a roster spot for a DECENT player???

June 23rd, 2005, 11:22 am

Would it be possible to kick Darko off the team and send him down to those minor leagues, thus opening up a roster spot for a DECENT player???

Unfortunately not. It states you can only send players who are in their first 2 years in the league. Next season will be Darko's 3rd year.

Tim

June 23rd, 2005, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]