View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 11:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Thoughts on Tai Streets? 
Varsity Benchwarmer

Post Thoughts on Tai Streets?
Being a 49er fan I've seen a lot of Streets. My opinion of him was basically: Big guy, very good blocker, some speed, dosn't drop too many (so long TO), and can make the tough catch over the middle (again so long TO :x ).

When the Lions signed him I thought at the very least they would be getting a solid possesion guy who would be helpful in converting 3rd downs. At best I thought he might turn out to be a playmaker who just needed a different situation to be fully utilized. I think it's safe to say that even my modest prediction is turning out to be wrong.

Does anyone have thoughts on why his production has been so low. Where I live I've only been able to SEE a couple of Lions games so it's hard for me to get an idea of why he's not putting up numbers. Is he just playing poorly? I know he has trouble staying 100% health wise, but to be a starter and only be on pace for 200-300 yards :shock:

Just wondering.

November 18th, 2004, 1:08 pm
Stadium Announcer

A few drops, injuries have been a factor. From what I have seen, he just isn't able to get open. Not sure if it's injuries or just age, but he looks slow out there.

November 18th, 2004, 1:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
RIP Killer

Tai is only 27 and should be in his prime, can't be his age. He has had some nagging injuries but even when he has been healthy he hasn't looked very good.

The problem I see is separation. Meaning, Tai just can't seem to get a step on a defensive back. I have also not been impressed with his hands but that is part of the same problem. Most of his routes look to be short (cause I think they envision him as a possession WR) but when the ball arrives he has a DB all over him and can't make a play.

I think Streets was simply a short-term, stop gap measure to address depth at the WR spot. Mooch has worked with him before yet the Lions only signed him to a one-year deal. Typically, they have been signing players in the 26-27 range to longer term deals. That tells me the Lions had little confidence in Streets to begin with.

Ideally, Streets would have been out #4 WR behind Rogers, Williams and Hakim. Due to injuries he has had to serve as our #2 WR and without a powerhouse #1 (aka TO) he struggles in that role.

I expect Streets to be on the street after this season. I don't think the Lions will resign him.

With all that said, much like California Kid, I had higher expectations of Streets coming into this season. As you can tell from the current poll on the front page, other fans agree.

November 18th, 2004, 1:46 pm
Profile WWW
Stadium Announcer

Don't know why I thought he was older than that. Probably cause he looks it on the field.

November 18th, 2004, 1:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Peanut and Beer Salesman

I agree with both of you, I also had mid to high expectations as well. And I too have no clue why he has not been good this year. I think there could be a lot of issues that may be leading to his demise. Maybe it's Joe? Maybe it's the injuries? Maybe it's lack of confidence in this "system". Could be also that he has not had the chance to get in a rythm with this offense/Joey?

I wish we knew, becuase if it was fixable then I would like to see him stay here and get a chance to contribute to our team. And next year, with ( and I say this while knocking on wood ) Charles coming back and Roy coming into his own we could use him as what he was intended to be, that 4th receiver. Tai is a lot like Hakim, he can not be that go to guy. They fit a role on this team and it got changed when Rogers went down and Roy got hurt and etc. etc. etc. So we will see as these games go by what happens with Streets. I hope for the best.........

November 19th, 2004, 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]