View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 23rd, 2014, 4:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Playoffs!?! 
Walk On

Post Playoffs!?!
I dont know about everybody else but I'm starting to get excited about making another playoff run. We just beat Anahiem in a thriller 5-3 and are now up on the White Sox (aka Ozzie Guillen terd throwers) by 4.5 games.

ROCK ON TIGS!!!!!! :lol:

August 26th, 2009, 3:52 am
NFL Team Captain

I'm trying to not to get too excited yet. They "Boys" after getting spanked in Oakland (of all places), they have tried to give away the last 2 wins against the Halos.

They may need to sit Guillen and Ordonez for a spell and let Rayburn and Thomas play the corners for awhile. If we are going to make a serious playoff run we will need our vet's to be healthy and rested.

Looks like Granderson has come out of his hitting funk, but Inge needs to have a post All-Star game cattle prod stuck in his butt. Maybe he thinks that his new tats will help. He says his knees feel much better.

I know the offseason is still a ways away, but please find a SS that can hit better than me. We may also want to look for another SP.

I'm not suggesting a makeover, just a couple of "good" players. Maybe a catcher that can hit more than his weight :roll:

Thoughts?

August 26th, 2009, 9:28 am
RIP Killer

Guillen and Ordonez are hot. Bench them for who? Raburn? He's been hot lately. Thomas? He's been horrible lately. I like giving them every other day off. Play Huff in LF and let Thames DH while Guillen sits. I like Raburn coming in late in the game (6-7 inning) for Ordonez.

Also - Aubrey Huff doesn't look too bad. He's had a lot of nice balls hit deep to the track - Halos play DEEP most of the game...and they have some burners in the OF.

Last night had some great catches by both Grandy and Thomas. Excellent D to give Washburn that win - he didn't deserve it. Thankfully, the O came through and scored some damn runs.

Grandy hasn't really come out of his funk. He still K'd twice last night. Grandy, Huff, and Inge's Ks are killing this team.

Avila's a good player, though he needs more time with each pitcher to really know how they pitch. His hitting slump lately hasn't been bad, he's made some excellent contact, but the balls have been run down by quick fielders. Same thing's happened with Huff.

Everett needs to continue to ride the pine. At least Santiago can bat over .250 and he's nearly as good of a fielder.

August 26th, 2009, 9:36 am
Walk On

UP 6. Here's to sweeping the Ray's :idea:

September 6th, 2009, 12:02 am
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

playoffs? playoffs? are you talking about playoffs?

September 15th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Heisman Winner

I am. The Tigers will make the playoffs even with playing as bad as they have the past few series.

It would have to be the meltdown of all meltdowns to miss the playoffs at this point in the season.

September 15th, 2009, 8:54 pm
ChazMaster wrote:

I am. The Tigers will make the playoffs even with playing as bad as they have the past few series.

It would have to be the meltdown of all meltdowns to miss the playoffs at this point in the season.

At this point it is almost inevitable that they'll make the playoffs. Minny would have had a chance if they would have played well while we were struggling, but that wasn't the case...

September 15th, 2009, 11:04 pm
League MVP

we will make the playoffs but things look bleak with washburn and robertson going down - although we may not have needed them in the playoffs anyway? will willis get another chance to start? miner?

Will a 3 man rotation work in the playoffs? Otherwise we are throwing galaraga or miner out there in the 4th game...i dont think bonine is elegible to be on the post season roster...

i think the future looks good but white sox will have rotation of danks, buerhle, floyd and peavy and i expect they will make some moves to improve there lineup.

2010 tigers

1. Raburn 2b-R .270 15 HR 400AB
2. Guillen LF/dh - S .285 15 HR 500AB
3. Ordonez DH/rf- R .300 15 HR 70 RBI 450 AB
4. Cabrera 1b- R .325 35 HR 130 RBI 600AB
5. Granderson CF- L .270 30 HR 100 RBI 600AB
6. Casper Wells RF - R .260 15 HR 450 AB
7. A Avila C - L .270 15 HR 370 AB
8. B Inge 3b - R .240 25 HR 600 AB
9. R Santiago SS - S .265 7 HR 380 AB
BN - Larish 1b/3b/OF - L .240 10 HR 200 AB
BN - Dlugach 2b/ss/3b - R .250 300 AB
BN - Thomas OF - L .280 240 AB
BN - Laird C - R .265 240 AB

SP Verlander 21-6 2.07 250 IP 300 K
SP Jackson 17-12 3.44 250 IP 200 K
SP Porcello 15-10 3.88 180 IP 130 K
SP Robertson 10-15 5.05 180 IP 130 K
SP Bonderman 14-14 4.77 170 IP 150 K
RP Miner 7-8 gs, 100 IP 4.55 ERA
RP Galarraga
LP Seay
LP Ni
RP Fien
RP Perry 5 SV
CP Lyon 35 SV

I think with the 18 million due to Magglio we are better off not adding too much more payroll so we can keep Verlander, Jackson and wait for some of the youngsters to develop before the next spending spree. With Sheffield, Polanco, Huff, Washburn, Everett, Thames off the books we actually may have some money to spend. There is a chance we could bring back Rodney but Lyon would probably be cheaper. We have a lot of good young bullpen arms and I think that means Rodney moves on. Also we have Zumaya pending injury rehab. Bonderman, Miner, Galarraga, Bonine battle for the 5th SP slot. Casper Wells wins a starting outfield spot but Wilkin Ramirez and Brennan Boesch are on his heels as is Ryan Strieby for a DH/1b/OF role. Santiago and Dlugach or Sizemore will platoon in the IF. Casey Crosby and Alfredo Figaro make a push for consideration onto the roster late in the season. Despite many of the same and some younger players, the top of the order gets on base more often and utilizes grandersons power in the middle of the lineup. The 2010 tigers win 90 games and the al central and head into the offseason with plenty of payroll flexibility as well as a herd of young players trying to play there way into the majors. A perfect recipe for Dombrowski to wheel and deal his way into the world series by 2011.

September 16th, 2009, 1:32 am
RIP Killer

I think that Nate is coming around to become the decent #4/5 starter I've always though he would be.

Wells over Ramirez? I don't see it. Leyland loves Ramirez.

Also, I see them bringing Polanco back, I hope anyway. Sure, he's getting up there in age, but he's sure handed, makes nice plays, and he's the only clutch hitter we have in the lineup. He makes pitchers work and he usually gets the job done.

If we need to find a new infield starter, replace Inge. I think Inge is a hell of a player, but his awful BA is killing us. I'm sick of seeing 1/4 with 1 or 2 Ks and a weak ground ball every single game.

Raburn deserves to make this team and play everyday as the leadoff man. However, I am not a fan of his outfield play. If our bench consists of Larish, Dlugach, Thomas, and Laird, we're in serious trouble.

We need a power bat on the bench. Guillen is past his prime and isn't worth his weight in gold. I'd rather pay Jermaine Dye to to DH/RF and have Mags as DH. Dye gives it his all in RF, sure he's not the fastest guy in the world, but he hustles, dives, and makes plays when he needs to.

Also, please no more Casey Fien. Hasn't everyone seen enough of this guy? He's terrible.

September 16th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Modmin Dude

Is someone talking about the Tigers and playoffs in here???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJDAnhgQ_M

headbang.gif

September 17th, 2009, 11:45 am
RIP Killer

These turds should be playing high school ball...maybe they'd win a game.

The talk about playoffs is pathetic. This team is playing like complete rectum and they deserve to get swept the rest of the season. They got absolutely OWNED by the kansas sucky royals and they just got ate up by the twinkies pitching, which has been terrible lately.

September 18th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Hall of Fame Player

These turds should be playing high school ball...maybe they'd win a game.

The talk about playoffs is pathetic. This team is playing like complete rectum and they deserve to get swept the rest of the season. They got absolutely OWNED by the kansas sucky royals and they just got ate up by the twinkies pitching, which has been terrible lately.

I agree with you. I have felt that way since the all star break.

This Tigers team is all or nothing. If they can't hit homers, they don't score.

Pitching and defense are great. I'm not suggesting that we weaken those two areas. But, is it too much to ask that position players at least hit their weight?

Trades:

Washburn was a complete waste of time and a step backward. The Tigers need base runners so they can be stranded when we don't get a home run. And in the process of trying to strengthen a strength, we weakened it.

Huff immediately sucked the moment he put a Tigers uniform on. He has sucked so bad, that he rarely gets in a game anymore. Another complete waste of time.

Neither trade were among Dumbrowski's greatest deals ever.

September 19th, 2009, 1:07 am
National Champion

I blame the Hitting coach. Legendary lloyd as Rod Allan Calls him he is a Joke. The Hitting stopped after Don Slaught left at the end of the 2006 season. Name one hitter who has improved under Lloyd? it's time for him to go.
Look what ditching Chuck hernadndez did for the pitching. And look what team fell apart pitching wise when he joined them (Indians). ditching lloyd could have the same effect.

September 19th, 2009, 7:22 pm
League MVP

300K and a 2.07 ERA for JV? We all wish.

I think that Nate is coming around to become the decent #4/5 starter I've always though he would be.

I dont think 300 Ks is such a pipe dream for verlander, maybe the ERA is but I think 2010 will be his career best season. Nate looks like he has returned to form and should be a solid #4 maybe #3. Porcello might be as good as Verlander, he's only going to get better. Obviously Bonderman is a big question mark but Dombro is willing to let things play out and it looks like he is getting a few ticks on his fast ball back

Wells over Ramirez? I don't see it. Leyland loves Ramirez.

Wells is the more refined baseball player, better in the field more plate discipline, more consistent power. Ramirez has more raw talent but besides speed - not that much more. When they played on the same team in 2008, wells was better. This team doesnt have much speed, thats the advantage with Ramirez.

Also, I see them bringing Polanco back, I hope anyway. Sure, he's getting up there in age, but he's sure handed, makes nice plays, and he's the only clutch hitter we have in the lineup. He makes pitchers work and he usually gets the job done.

Im not discounting the job Polanco has done - I think he is great - but I think Raburn has shown that he deserves an everyday job with surprising power and plenty of clutch hits. Maybe 2b isnt the best place for him but I dont think its going to be so easy to bring back Polance and w Sizemore, Dlugach, Iorg in the system they may not want to give him as many years as someone else will. Their have been plenty or clutch hits all season including everett, santiago, inge and raburn especially - thats how we have been winning despite an overall underwhelming lineup. We've actually been outscored on the season.

If we need to find a new infield starter, replace Inge. I think Inge is a hell of a player, but his awful BA is killing us. I'm sick of seeing 1/4 with 1 or 2 Ks and a weak ground ball every single game.

Exactly why Ramirez wont beat out Wells...How quickly we forget, Inge was huge in the 1st half of the season including offensively, maybe even our MVP in the 1st half. I wouldnt consider replacing him unless it was w an Evan Longoria or David Wright type player. Plus he s a fan fave, tireless worker, great teammate and exceptional in the field.

Raburn deserves to make this team and play everyday as the leadoff man. However, I am not a fan of his outfield play. If our bench consists of Larish, Dlugach, Thomas, and Laird, we're in serious trouble.

Considering Thomas spent a big part of the season hitting 3rd and that Laird is a starting caliber catcher - its really not that weak. Plus Magglio and Guillen will get days off where they will be available to hit. Dlugach and or Sizemore are supposedly solid in the field and can come in late for Raburn who would be learning/reacquainting w a new position. Larish is the question mark but despite striking out a lot he does take a lot of BBs and has great power and hits lefty. He could be pretty valuable esp w ability to play 1b/3b and of in a pinch. Besides Dombro has been good at keeping the Don Kelly types around in the high minors in case some extra help is needed.

We need a power bat on the bench. Guillen is past his prime and isn't worth his weight in gold. I'd rather pay Jermaine Dye to to DH/RF and have Mags as DH. Dye gives it his all in RF, sure he's not the fastest guy in the world, but he hustles, dives, and makes plays when he needs to.

Also, please no more Casey Fien. Hasn't everyone seen enough of this guy? He's terrible

I think Fien has some nice pitches but even if its not him there are plenty of young BP arms - weinhardt, simmons, satterwhite, jensen, dolsi and someone will emerge

September 22nd, 2009, 6:26 pm
RIP Killer

I think Polanco will take a bit of a home team discount. He's had a good run in Detroit and I think he'd sign for 3-4 years. I'd take PP on a 3 year deal.

I'm not discounting that Wells is a better overall player at this stage than Ramirez, but I would be hard pressed to believe that he'd make the team over guys like Raburn and Thomas, much less start. Raburn has been adjusting in the OF, but would be a better 3rd baseman IMO. He's got a good arm, but I don't think he's quick enough to play 2nd. I do like him hitting in the leadoff spot - he's on fire when he hits #1.

I'd like to see more of Sizemore, but I don't think Dlugach is very good.

Everett has had some nice clutch hits, but he's also had way, way, way too many ground outs and pop outs. Same with Laird. Sure, he gets the random double...but for each one of those with men on base, he gets 4 weak pop outs that won't advance a runner. Everett hasn't been all that great in the field this season. I'd rather see Santiago as a full timer.

I like Inge, but his bat has been so bad for so long that it's painful to watch his 1 hit and 2Ks and 1 pop out every single game. How many multi-hit games has he had this season? Probably the least on the team, which is saying a lot with Everett and Laird on this team. Inge's career average is horrible for a starter. He batted .205 last year and he's got the same number of dingers this year as he did in 06, when he had 35+ more ABs. Also, here's a nugget...He K'd 15 times in 44 ABs during our postseason run in 06. Granderson, another K King, whiffed 10 times in 53 ABs during that run.

Laird is a starter because of his defense, let's not kid ourselves. His bat is atrocious unless he's slapping down a bunt, which he's only decent at. I would like to see Guillen canned and a reliable big bat brought in to if we need - Dye is a perfect example of that. He's better than Mags in the field and has more power. He's a righty version of what Aubrey Huff was supposed to bring us (plus Dye has a pretty damn good arm for RF).

I'd like to see what our young arms have, but if they think Fien is the best of the bunch to bring up midseason...holy cow. I like Dolsi and I'd like to see him pitch more.

One guy people haven't been giving a lot of love is Ni. This guy was a great pickup. He's pitched some pretty tough spots and has done pretty damn well, consistently. He's a good young player.

September 22nd, 2009, 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next